Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    That the splatter can be like CONCRETE?!?!

Meg`s 105 is a fantastic product. Cuts fast, decreases overall work time....that is if you do not have to spend hours removing the splatter.

We have experienced on more than one detail where 105 splatter if left on for a given amount of time can be a royal PIA to remove. It`s almost as if it`s corrosive or it etches certain materials if allowed to stay on for a day or so.

We detailed a MB AMG wagon some months ago and when it came back into the shop we noticed splatter in some areas (wiper blades, underside of side views, etc.) that we thought had been removed after the polishing and final wash before sealing. We had the car for a week and polished on it as time allowed, the kicker though is that after the wash it appeared that all traces of left over 105 where gone yet we now have traces of splatter that are tough to remove, even with a steamer.

Anyone else notice that 105 hardens like concrete? Is corrosive (etches) to some materials? Or notice that the splatter may not show for some time later?

I`ve left other polishes and compounds on cars for days and had no issues so just asking of others experiences.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re defiantly not the only one Anthony. I`ve had it happen on several occasions now where it looks like it`s completely gone only to show back up later. Definatly something to keep in mind when using it.
    -Jake Bright Dynamics Auto Spa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, it will harden even more once you introduce water to it. I suggest covering/taping trim and wiping splatter asap. If you run into an area that`s difficult to remove, just use 105 or 205 on an applicator and it should wipe right away.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know it"s not just me and my hackness

I usually tape things off for the full corrections but some times it`s just a spot repair here and there so I don`t bother with the tape but almost always have a bucket of ONR at our side but if you happen to miss some it comes back to haunt you.

Thanks for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always blow off all compounding and polishing dust with a pressure washer prior to waxing and sealing. I never had a problem at all. I can see how fast it dries if you add water. I know at times thought its tougher to pressure off then some other compounds, Kinda funny to because its a water base product. you would think it would be easier. lol
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try cleaning it up with some wax and grease remover

Post Thanks / Like
    Great minds think alike A time or two Ive sprayed 105 all over the garage

and have realized that itd make a good super glue. Never again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony - I ***-u-me you were using a rotary, that`s one reason I traded mine, ironically it was M105v1 that I was trying when I decided F...it, I`m sticking to the PC/Cyclo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was taught to wipe down the plastic and rubber parts with Meg`s `vinyl and rubber cleaner` - the polish doesn`t stick to that stuff. I just hose off the car and a quick wash down with very dilute car wash in between polishes and after. now I have a pressure washer, which will save me time there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man, I`m sooo glad I was really careful to avoid such issues. Nice to hear my efforts weren`t a waste of time. Thanks for discussing this, you can bet I`ll continue to be careful in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do a lot of taping and also wipe down the splatter after each section-which also helps keep the dust to a minimum as well.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed it too. Then again, I haven`t touched a rotary since I got my G110 and now with the V2, it will never get used again.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s also a good idea to work from top down. Imagine correcting the whole car and you end up doing the roof last and splatter all over your completed work!!!
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never had this problem with the 105 splatter I just don`t let it sit at all i wipe the splatter when i`m done with each section i haven`t had any of it dry it sound like its a pain

Post Thanks / Like
    We usually buff a section complete then move on and on major correction we paper and tape off areas but with the AMG I figured since it was a week long project some splatter here and there would be no big deal. We wash our cars down after the last polish step plus use our steamers to clean out tight areas.

Boy was I stupid to do that....never again. At least not with the 105. Menzerna, Optimum and others have given us no such issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information