Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure wish someone in my area did this since I ain`t no pro to do it myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by salty
    ...other products make the 6 month mark...
    Not really with constant Dawn & tunnel washes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detail
    He explained that in the first paragraph...

"the paint on the factory hood would be sanded flat to test the product’s UV ability."

I am not sure how it helps to test the products UV ability by sanding the factory clear down and not protecting it? Like I first stated 99.99% of the car owning population is not sanding thier clear off so why compare against that? Why not compare the durability and UV of the Optimum Opti-Coat to a factory clear paint? (which would be the 99.99% of the population)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3
    I am not sure how it helps to test the products UV ability by sanding the factory clear down and not protecting it? Like I first stated 99.99% of the car owning population is not sanding thier clear off so why compare against that? Why not compare the durability and UV of the Optimum Opti-Coat to a factory clear paint? (which would be the 99.99% of the population)

Less clear coat = less UV protection. Starting with less clear compromises the clear coat`s UV protecting abilities. 99% of the population are not dealing with brand new paint, so it seemed like a pretty logical decision to me.

Thanks for the update David. I`ve got some here in the office that I`m going to be trying soon. My folks have a silver `08 Highlander that sits outside 24/7 under sprinklers and trees and whatnot, and never gets washed. I`m thinking of running a test on that. I might PM you if I have any application questions.
    www.autogeek.net - We Are Car Care!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt@Autogeek
    Less clear coat = less UV protection. Starting with less clear compromises the clear coat`s UV protecting abilities. 99% of the population are not dealing with brand new paint, so it seemed like a pretty logical decision to me.

Thanks for the update David. I`ve got some here in the office that I`m going to be trying soon. My folks have a silver `08 Highlander that sits outside 24/7 under sprinklers and trees and whatnot, and never gets washed. I`m thinking of running a test on that. I might PM you if I have any application questions.

I couldn`t really tell from reading, but was the side he protected was sanded as well? That may be the part that I am hung up on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great test David! I wonder what the company will say when you turn that half and half back in LOL!

Matt - we have a 08 Highlander - pearl white, great vehicle! I can only wish I could get that coating on mine.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn`t really tell from reading, but was the side he protected was sanded as well? That may be the part that I am hung up on.

Looked to me like the entire panel was sanded. :think:

Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    Great test David! I wonder what the company will say when you turn that half and half back in LOL!

Matt - we have a 08 Highlander - pearl white, great vehicle! I can only wish I could get that coating on mine.

They are really nice! Super smooth - doesn`t feel like you`re driving an SUV, that`s for sure. :2thumbs:
    www.autogeek.net - We Are Car Care!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review David !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, close to being unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like
    David have you tried to remove any of it yet? Hence Laquer thinner or anything? Im curious to how durable this really is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alfisti, salty, Scottwax, MuttGrunt, mystickid, PWORLDSTANG, Matt@Autogeek, JuneBug, De WALTER - Thanks alot guys. I`ve got some stuff coming up in te next couple weeks to throw an interesting twist into the test. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
    Nice stuff David......and people called me a shill, thanks for vindicating me:2thumbs: :LOLOL

In reality what this test does is basically crams maybe a year or more of daily car life into 6 months. I had my doubts myself when I read David would wash it with dawn and at tunnel washes but very happy to see it holding up so well.

Now wait until you all get a load of the interior portion!

Anthony

Thanks for your help with Opti-Coat Anthony. I`ve always followed your enthusiasm for Optimum. After using most of their products, I can honestly say that they are incredible. Dr. G is a genius! With 2 messy kids, I can`t wait to test the interior product.

One question, why did you wet sand at the beginning? Who wetsands a brand new car? Doesn`t that throw off your results since you have removed probably 10 microns of clearcoat? Just wondering what the rationale was there.

I sanded the factory clear coat for several reasons. Mostly to make it more vulnerable to *possible* failure & to test this product`s UV ability. This car is parked outside in the hot Florida sun and the engine remains running 7-9 hours per day which creates quite a bit of constant heat to this panel that most likely accentuates the wearing effect. I`ll keep you posted on any developing deterioration of both the coated and non-coated portions...

Since this is a big teaser thread, what was the direction he (Dr. G) wants to go with this product?

Not quite sure what Dr. G`s exact intensions are, but this product has countless uses and is being marketed to more than just the Car Care industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Theal
    David have you tried to remove any of it yet? Hence Laquer thinner or anything? Im curious to how durable this really is.

Nope, not yet Barry. I understand that the coating isn`t effected by solvents and/or harsh chemicals. The only way to remove it is by adrading it away by either sanding or compounding. I`d hate to have to remove this stuff. There`s really no way you`d be able to destinguish between removing the coating or the clear.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Opti-coat sounds like a fantastic product. Have you noticed any water spots since the product beads so well David? Also- if you test any other vehicles (and I don`t know if you are) it would be nice to see if a nice soft black finish (example: Infiniti or BMW black) is resistant to water spots from rain/acid rain/environmental fallout. I know you get those lovely afternoon showers for 20 minutes then full sun in Florida so I wonder what you`ve noticed in terms of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzb
    Opti-coat sounds like a fantastic product. Have you noticed any water spots since the product beads so well David? Also- if you test any other vehicles (and I don`t know if you are) it would be nice to see if a nice soft black finish (example: Infiniti or BMW black) is resistant to water spots from rain/acid rain/environmental fallout. I know you get those lovely afternoon showers for 20 minutes then full sun in Florida so I wonder what you`ve noticed in terms of this.

Great question buzzb - As a matter of fact I just finisheed testing the coating`s resistance to water spots. I left the coated side sit next to my sprinklers for about 30 minutes and it got covered pretty good. I then left it on there for almost a week in the sun. It washed off really easy. I had to scrub the uncoated side with PowerClean.

Here`s what it looked like:

The bottom right pic is what my sprinkler system filter looks like after a couple sessions.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!! I cant believe I just found this thread!! this is amazing! I cant wait to see more!!
    Doing it BIG!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, please keep us posted. This looks really awesome.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information