Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    you can still do it for fun. No one said you CAN`T apply another sealant wax on top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum

DIRECTIONS

1. Remove defects to your satisfaction

2. Clean surface to remove all polishing oils, waxes, and silicone.

3. Prime the applicator by making an X across the pad. Only a few drops will be needed for each subsequent panel.

4. Wipe Opti-Coat on a single panel at a time in a thin layer using several directions for even coverage.

5. Inspect the panel with adequate lighting withing 5-10 minutes looking for any thick areas that have not flashed away to clear.

6. Use applicator or paint safe microfiber to even out (no pressure)any spots where you see streaks. This step is key, as any spots not leveled will have to be abrasively repaired is allowed to cure. Panels will feel a bit tacky and will be self -leveling during cure time, so avoid any unnecessary touching, wiping, or contact to produce the best results.

7. Repeat steps 1-6 for each panel where application is desired.

I`ve seen IPA wipedown mentioned on Autogeek for step 2 and I believe somewhere else that OPC was used for the same. What are acceptable (and/or best) products to clean off the surface before application?

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn wash, Power Clean wash, IPA solution (10% dilution, multiple passes), Prepsol, Mineral Spirits, Paint safe APCs, Wax and Tar remover...etc. Basically, anything that leaves the paint bare. If you wash and have beading, it didn`t work.

NOTE: Most of these need to be rinsed be cause they leave some residue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cptzippy
    That kinda makes me sad. I went ahead and ordered some but I`m not sure I`m ready to give up waxing, sealing, etc

On the plus side, it makes my car a great test bed for evalutating the look of new LSPs. After a month or so, whatever I put on is gone (beading takes on the tight, tiny beading of the coating) and I can try something else to get a good feel for how it looks. Or not and still have well protected paint.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, I have been using OC now for... 8 months or so? It`s hard to talk about it without sounding like a shill (I`m not :p) but in any event while it isn`t for everyone the cars I`ve put it on continue to impress me. Not only ease of cleaning, but their overall lack of marring, smooth finish, etc. Every time I wash one it literally looks exactly like when I put on the OC. It`s actually a little boring! But definitely good stuff.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats actually kind of cool. Since I don`t know the look I will get I can always play after

Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    On the plus side, it makes my car a great test bed for evalutating the look of new LSPs. After a month or so, whatever I put on is gone (beading takes on the tight, tiny beading of the coating) and I can try something else to get a good feel for how it looks. Or not and still have well protected paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about plastic and rubber trim? I really like using KSG, and even (in some cases) FK1000P on those surfaces (though Ultima works well too and I`m open to the C4 stuff). And on some of my vehicles keeping LSP 100% off the trim would be problematic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    What about plastic and rubber trim?

I applied it to black plastic trim and it never looked better.

Non staining, it only enhances the look. Just make sure that your prep removes any previous deposits.

BD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonDuce
    I applied it to black plastic trim and it never looked better...

Good, that`s what I was hoping for!

Now what about rubber trim? Anybody try it on that? The TBSS has a *LOT* of rubber exterior trim...

Post Thanks / Like
    Good, that`s what I was hoping for!

Now what about rubber trim? Anybody try it on that? The TBSS has a *LOT* of rubber exterior trim...
    ….I’ve been thinking about this as well. I would imagine rigidity of the component and the potential for flex are probably determining factors. ….bump for a real answer though from those that know.

I thought I was excited about the C4 I recently acquired and just started playing with. Call me easily amused but the thought of only having to reapply to my trim every 6 months to 1+ years has me giddy. However, with the recent, public release of OOC and what I have heard about it’s contaminant shedding characteristics, resilience to cleaners, etc., the gears are really turning now in my head. I have been trying to absorb as much info as I can on this product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kean
    ….I’ve been thinking about this as well. I would imagine rigidity of the component and the potential for flex are probably determining factors..the thought of only having to reapply to my trim every 6 months to 1+ years has me giddy...

Yeah, that`s my concern exactly. No problems with KSG or Ultima`s trim sealant, and I wouldn`t expect any touble with C4 either. I was pretty well set on how I was going to do the TBSS, but the OptiCoat is intriguing.

But I`m not gonna try to fix something that`s not broken unless I`m 100% confident that it`s a step in the right direction. Getting at least 12-18 months is already pretty easy for me with my old approaches, given how my vehicles get treated. Some of the Ultima trim sealant on the beater-Audi has been on there a lot longer than that and is still fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    accumulator,

I understand your one of the most anal retenitives son`s of biitches I know. When your comparing your normal 18 months of protection versus opticoat, I think there is one thing you also have to factor in here. Dave is washing this with dawn on a weekly basis, plus running it threw an automatic carwash once a month. Im sure the enviroments he is putting this in is far more worse then what you do. Another thing to factor is this car is in florida under the baking sun ( where most carnuba`s and synthetics melt off rather faster. Ill bet up here in our climates it will last a whole lot longer in durability if applied right. Why don`t you get some and test it out for me and save me the coin. lol.
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Barry Theal- Yeah, comparing *MY* situation with anybody else`s (even other Autopians) is kinda pointless.

I think that OptiCoat is *SO* right for guys like me (correct it once, then just wash the thing) that it could be good for *some* of my vehicles. I just have some "but what if..." questions that I don`t want biting me.

I did get the OptiCoat, and I`m gonna use it on a set of wheels that have some "compromised clear along the rim edges" issues. I bet it`ll be *perfect* for those. And I`m gonna use it on some suspension/etc. pieces too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Barry Theal- Yeah, comparing *MY* situation with anybody else`s (even other Autopians) is kinda pointless.

I think that OptiCoat is *SO* right for guys like me (correct it once, then just wash the thing) that it could be good for *some* of my vehicles. I just have some "but what if..." questions that I don`t want biting me.

I did get the OptiCoat, and I`m gonna use it on a set of wheels that have some "compromised clear along the rim edges" issues. I bet it`ll be *perfect* for those. And I`m gonna use it on some suspension/etc. pieces too.

I just gave my car a good polish and re-coated it this week. After going all winter with just touch-less washes and sitting out in the harsh winter I picked up some light marring....possible from brushing off snow.

Looks like a million bucks again now.

iPhone pic today....3 days after re-coating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rasky, what do you mean by Goo polish and re-coating? Did you reapply Opticoat?

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information