Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone regularly claybar their Opti-Coat like every 3 months? If so, does the claybar damage or wear out the Opt-Coat?

My Opti-Coat has acquired quite a bit of swirls and marring and I was thinking about having my detailer apply a layer of Megs #21 synthetic wax over the Opti-Coat every 3 month for the sole aesthetic purpose of hiding these scratches. Part of the package include claying the car. Does this sound like a good idea?

To be honest, I`m kinda of disappointed that there are so many swirls and light scratches. I pay someone to wash my car very carefully with the intent of not scratching the pain with separate MF towels, etc. Am I the only who have acquired so much marring?

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It may have not been applied to a clean surface and not bonded. The surface may have not been swirl free to begin with. Your detailer may wash too aggressively. Etc. OptiCoat is harder than current OEM clears but it`s not bullet proof or bubba proof.

I have clayed mine a couple of times but hardly anything came off. One of the benefits of OptiCoat is that stuff doesn`t stick to it so if you still need to clay at 3 month intervals, I would question whether you actually have OptiCoat on your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by integritydetail
    It may have not been applied to a clean surface and not bonded. The surface may have not been swirl free to begin with. Your detailer may wash too aggressively. Etc. OptiCoat is harder than current OEM clears but it`s not bullet proof or bubba proof.

I have clayed mine a couple of times but hardly anything came off. One of the benefits of OptiCoat is that stuff doesn`t stick to it so if you still need to clay at 3 month intervals, I would question whether you actually have OptiCoat on your car.

I think that will have a lot to do with how the car being maintained too. I`ve been running my car through only touch-less washes (with an occasional ONR wash) the last few months and I`ve noticed some light accumulation of bonded surface contaminants on the lowers. However, when I was doing weekly traditional washes in the summer the surface stayed squeaky clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s possible that the surface was not swirl free to begin with. I did notice some slight swirls before the Opti-Coat was applied, but it wasn`t much (I don`t think it was nearly as much as I see now, especially on the head and tail lights). I didn`t really have much of choice though as I wasn`t able to find anyone else who applies Opti-Coat in my area except for the one authorized detailer on Optimum`s website, but that other detailer`s website was advertising a Teflon sealant or some crap and I immediately dismiss anyone who tries to push a Teflon product lol. Doesn`t Optimum check the credentials and reputation of detailers before "authorizing" them as an official Opti-Coat applier?

Another thing is that I get my car washed once a month rather than weekly. Those who only wash monthly, have you also noticed accumulation of swirls and contamination?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe
    It`s possible that the surface was not swirl free to begin with. That`s a no no, the paint should be prepped I did notice some slight swirls before the Opti-Coat was applied, but it wasn`t much (I don`t think it was nearly as much as I see now, especially on the head and tail lights). I didn`t really have much of choice though as I wasn`t able to find anyone else who applies Opti-Coat in my area except for the one authorized detailer on Optimum`s website I maintain the Optimum Forums and am familiar with most who are listed on Optimum Car Care, you should PM me regarding who your installer was, but that other detailer`s website was advertising a Teflon sealant or some crap and I immediately dismiss anyone who tries to push a Teflon product lol. Doesn`t Optimum check the credentials and reputation of detailers before "authorizing" them as an official Opti-Coat applier?No we do not police our customers and it would be impossible to do so. What Optimum requires is a hold harmless agreement stating that Optimum is not responsible for misapplication.

Another thing is that I get my car washed once a month rather than weekly. Those who only wash monthly, have you also noticed accumulation of swirls and contamination?Only washing monthly means more dirt on the car and more chance for scratches if improper technique is employed.

I`m very sympathetic to your situation, but it sounds like you are a victim of a bad detailer. I have no first hand knowledge of your car or who your detailer is, but from the information you have given...something is off. Is your detailer and washer the same person? Did you request OptiCoat, but refuse paint correction? Are your car washes controlled (always the same person and equipment, or do you use a tunnel wash sometimes)? Lot`s of variables, but none of your problems are typical of OptiCoat...they are inline with bad service.

Post Thanks / Like
    My detailer did prep the paint, but since that was my first time actually getting my car properly detailed (before that, I`ve only had a car waxed many years ago from some car wash place - obviously they didn`t know what they were doing), I didn`t (and still don`t) know what is considered to be excellent prep work. Should there have been absolutely ZERO swirls after prepping? My detailer spent hours prepping with all the steps you guys describe on the forums and uses high quality products, but I did still notice very few marring - is that normal for a pretty good job? I didn`t push the issue because I thought I may have unrealistic expectations.

So most of guys in this thread wash more frequently than once a month?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe

So most of guys in this thread wash more frequently than once a month?
    I think most would wash weekly if circumstances allowed. Your car will obviously look better but I`m not sure which would marr less.

On the one hand, weekly washing will prevent a months buildup of grime that can be more abrasive. On the other hand, monthly washing means your touching the paint 1/4 less often which also means your less likely to marr your paint. :noidea:

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m starting to think the surface wasn`t clean to start with, I`m guessing some kind of fillers were left behind? So photos of the work might help. Full sun reflection shots.

The likely way you will get marring is from washing and drying, yes the random marring will occur from debris while driving.

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    When you guys prep and polish paint before applying a wax/sealant/coating, are you usually able to remove 100% of all swirls?

I`ll post pics a little later. My car won`t be washed though until the end of the month, and wax or sealant is being applied then to mask the marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Swirls yes, random deep scratches no. Wax and sealant are unnecessary with OptiCoat and will not mask anything if the marring is under the coating. I would wash the car myself and use Power Clean to strip away everything except the coating. If you still have beading after that kind of wash, then you have some Opti Coat. If you don`t see any beading, then you don`t have OptiCoat. Do not trust anyone else to do this test since the application is already questionable.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    If OptiCoat gets scratched by washing then it needs to be removed in order to deswirl the car. Removal kind of defeats the purpose of applying a coating that lasts for a couple years.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I understand, if Opticoat gets scratched then you can polish it like any other clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Opti Coat is a clear coat. It is not a nano sealant. It is not scratch proof. The benefits are that it contains polymers that, when cured (dehydrated) have a hardness approaching 9H, it has truly unparalleled hydrophobic properties and is extremely resistant to contaminants. You gain some thickness and some UV protection for your existing paintwork thus prolonging it`s life and if you need to polish, you will be removing swirls in the coating layer instead of the actual car finish. I`m not sure what kind of unrealistic expectations some of you have thinking it should be bulletproof and you can now wash with a scotch bright pad or something. It is verifiably harder than any currently used clear coat which give you a significant margin of error, but you should still take care practicing safe cleaning and not use it as an excuse to do shotty work or start using tunnel washes that see hundreds of cars per day using the same wash media.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by integritydetail
    Opti Coat is a clear coat. It is not a nano sealant. It is not scratch proof. The benefits are that it contains polymers that, when cured (dehydrated) have a hardness approaching 9H, it has truly unparalleled hydrophobic properties and is extremely resistant to contaminants. You gain some thickness and some UV protection for your existing paintwork thus prolonging it`s life and if you need to polish, you will be removing swirls in the coating layer instead of the actual car finish. I`m not sure what kind of unrealistic expectations some of you have thinking it should be bulletproof and you can now wash with a scotch bright pad or something. It is verifiably harder than any currently used clear coat which give you a significant margin of error, but you should still take care practicing safe cleaning and not use it as an excuse to do shotty work or start using tunnel washes that see hundreds of cars per day using the same wash media.

It should probably be pointed out that this will depend on the severity of the swirls, marring, or scratching....just to avoid people having any other unrealistic expectations.

I do not find this coating as a means to stop caring about your cars finish. To get the most from the coating you need to continue to regularly wash the car using proper washing techniques. If you do so it will give lasting protection that stays looking new for a very long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re exactly right Rasky, that`s why I chose the word swirls. Random deep scratches and severe marring will more than likely have gone through the coating and into the original finish. Minor swirls from car washing should polish right out of the coating. The selling point is easier maintenance and more durable protection, not maintenance free and wash with a brush. That`s what I like about Fermani`s test in this thread. He is using either a touchless automatic or washing with a strong detergent (that strips normal LSPs), but he is still washing regularly and not washing recklessly. His test shows how OptiCoat performs vs. factory clear and hand`s down OptiCoat performs wonderfully. Sure you can get the beading with other products...but you cannot wash with Dawn and expect to see that beading for long. And I personally have never had any product make the car easier to clean than OptiCoat.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information