Post Thanks / Like
    I got a random orbital buffer for christmas last night, 2800opm...gotta pick out a wax to use for it. I wanna hand apply it with the applicator pads and buff out with the orbital, not sure which pad to use though, the terry cloth pads or the polishing pad. Any suggestions on wax? I was thinking megs gold class or tech wax, some people suggesting mirror glaze cleaner wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32
    I got a random orbital buffer for christmas last night, 2800opm...gotta pick out a wax to use for it. I wanna hand apply it with the applicator pads and buff out with the orbital, not sure which pad to use though, the terry cloth pads or the polishing pad...

Many terry cloth pads aren`t soft enough for jobs like that (they`ll mar the paint). Not sure what those "polishing pads" are....

I`d be more inclined to use it to *apply* the product and then buff it off by hand, but that`s just me.

Any suggestions on wax? I was thinking megs gold class or tech wax, some people suggesting mirror glaze cleaner wax.

I`d be careful about using cleaner wax as it can *REALLY* stain trim, and doesn`t last all that long. But it might be an OK choice if you avoid the trim.

I can`t help but wonder how Meguiar`s Color-X might work for you.

Maybe consider doing a topcoat of the NXT Tech Wax or some Collinite 845.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Many terry cloth pads aren`t

Maybe consider doing a topcoat of the NXT Tech Wax or some Collinite 845.

Accumulator, where do you buy Collinite 845?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG
    Accumulator, where do you buy Collinite 845?

I don`t know if you`re just interested where Accumulator does his shopping, or if you want to buy some wax, but if you want to buy it: Collinite Car Wax Products, Collinite Wax, Insulator Wax, collinite 845, collinite double coat , Distributors ::` Collinite Wax Products` :: Choice of the Pros :: Auto, Marine and Industrial

Post Thanks / Like
    Liquid sealants seem to work well using an RO buffer. DG105, NXT etc...Use a soft foam pad and a lower speed. spread it super thin and buff it off by hand using a thick plush microfiber towel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to sound like a grinch, but put that thing back in the box and take it back to the store. It doesn`t have any power and the pad selection for it is non existent, take the money and buy a Porter Cable or better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I don`t know if you`re just interested where Accumulator does his shopping, or if you want to buy some wax, but if you want to buy it: ... Distributors ::* Collinite Wax Products* :: Choice of the Pros :: Auto, Marine and Industrial

Yeah, I ordered my case of 476S from Collinite. I got my pre-VOC 845 from..uhm...I forget but somebody here (the MIA Spilchy, IIRC) sent me a link, and I get my post-VOC 845 locally.

Post Thanks / Like
    i ordered a PC today actually, i didnt buy the pad kit or the wax yet because im not gona do it until the spring. Im gona use diamond cut from megs to compound, and 3m polish, wax i havent selected yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s so darn easy to apply by hand, especially sealants, why use a machine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I got my pre-VOC 845 from..uhm...I forget but somebody here (the MIA Spilchy, IIRC) sent me a link,

And he told me I was the only one he shared that with! :aww: He seems to have disappeared off the planet, I`ll have to send him an email.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashtime

It is so much easier for me to apply an even coat with the pc or the flex. Have you ever try it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdekany
    It is so much easier for me to apply an even coat with the pc or the flex. Have you ever try it?

I agree with some waxes. I recently picked up CMW and think it is easier and even to apply via PC than by hand.
    2004 Daytona Blue Nissan 350Z Touring :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashtime

the machine serves a dual purpose, the car was freshly painted, and i havent the newbie proof tools to cut, compound and polish the car, reading instruction manuals, and watching videos only tells me so much, so i wanted the random orbit machine polisher to help. Im going to cut, compound polish, then wax, and then use the PC to do follow up buff jobs from here on out. I have M85 but after watching a few videos im not sure if i want to switch to M105/205.

Post Thanks / Like
    i like to use a 4" blue foam pad and apply 10000p with it. the pad fits right in the tin, if you give it a spin for a milli second in the tin you`ll have enough product to do just about half of the front of the car, you can even follow up with pink wax in the same kind of tin if you don`t like the sterile look of 1000p, just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    And he told me I was the only one he shared that with! :aww: He seems to have disappeared off the planet, I`ll have to send him an email.

O jeeze, hope I wasn`t supposed to keep that pre-VOC 845 under my hat

[Spilchy]`s a great guy, hope he`s doing OK. I suspect he`s just busy with, uhm...real life. I might`ve lost his Email when my harddrive crashed; I`d have to send him something via snailmail, which actually sorta seems appropriate given our shared sensibilities

Quote Originally Posted by flashtime

I often find it hard to apply a thin enough coat of sealants by hand, gotta try those new LC gold pads (gee, guess they`re not so new any more).

But I do still like machine application of stuff as it`s simply a different movement that I find preferable. When I was having shoulder problems, the only way I *could* do it was by machine, and once those problem cleared up I found that I still just *liked* doing it that way better.

But of course, if somebody else feels the exact opposite, I can sure understand that! Gotta say that I can probably wax my wife`s A8 with #16 by hand and be done faster than I can get out a machine, pads, etc. and then put the thing away afterwards.

Thread Information