Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course, for us, the fun stuff happens on the outside of the car. Getting the paint gloss and the clarity just right, is partly why we all got into detailing. The fact still remains however that no matter how good the outside is, we all spend most of the time on the inside. I think it was Kevin from Kleen Car that put it best, “cleaning the inside of a car is just like house work”. Interiors can be tedious, but an interior detail has more of an overall impact to the customer’s senses and overall appreciation. It is the one area of the car that is constantly being appraised by the customer’s senses and is the area with the most emotional attachment. So doing the job correctly is paramount to a satisfied customer. (Note: I am not saying the outside of the car means nothing, but let us be realistic about where your customer spends their time driving the car.)

At the shop, the reality is that we get things that most detailers would probably shy away from; and rightfully so. We have gotten mold and mildew jobs where actual mushrooms were growing, to jobs were we found DEAD mice. Cleaning interiors with these types of problems require professional know-how, the proper safety clothing, and finally the right types of chemicals.

I stress the right type of chemicals (and application) because I am a little annoyed (although I like him alot) at my supplier trying to sell me an enzyme cleaner for something that you clearly need a disinfecting (antimicrobial) agent for.

Enzyme cleaners tend to be one of the most hyped up products as of late and are really being pushed as the new "GREEN" thing to do. In case you do not know, enzyme cleaners are cleaners that break "organic" soil down into simpler forms so that they can be removed. Enzyme cleaners IMO are great for cleaning stains and odor control from organic matter due to their ability to do this without using toxic chemicals. An enzyme’s ability to "eat protein based stains” sometimes gets confused with killing viruses such as H1N1 or other types of germs or viruses. Since the function of enzyme cleaners tends to greatly overlap that of most APCs, we tend to put disinfecting (Antimicrobial) products into the same category.

In short for those that deal with interior details that may be a potential health hazzard, make sure that you are using the proper personal protection (Tyvex suits, N95 dust masks, Latex or Nitrile gloves), and most of all the right cleaner with a disinfecting (Antimicrobial) agent. So keep in mind as we do the interiors throughout this winter season with the spreading of H1N1 virus or other types of germs, STRAIGHT ENZYME CLEANERS DO NOT KILL GERMS.

In searching for a reference table on the subject I came across this useful link Types of Household Cleaning Products which explains many different types of household cleaners and their uses. Although this table explains what type of cleaners work on what types of stains, one must also be cognizant of the possible reaction from the type of surface they are trying to clean. For example you would not use a bleach type mildew remover to clean a mildew stain from the carpet of a vehicle (It is pretty apparent what the end result will be).

Notes on some Antimicrobial Cleaning Products

Microban makes the commercial industry standard antimicrobial agent. Lysol All Purpose Cleaner (not the can) is also a great consumer antimicrobial cleaner for detailing with. I am not sure about any “detailer specific” products that fit this purpose. I examined the MDSD sheet for Meguiar’s APC and it does not seem to show any antimicrobial agents within its formulation. Antimicrobial cleaners require a “WET” dwell time of 10 mins. in order to properly disinfect.

In the case of Mold and Mildew removal, a new technology similar to ONR (encapsulation) is actually catching on as an alternative to hazardous mold remediation processes from yesteryear. Maybe DR. G can invent an antimicrobial encapsulation product for cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting read, thanks for the info!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is pretty common knowledge as I am in the chemical industry. Anyone that trys to sell you or recommend an enzyme product for cleaning pathogenic bacteria has no clue & is in the wrong profession. Allways use a din or epa registered disinfectant & check the label as the good ones have kill claims. Our company & a lot others make some very good green certified disinfectants.

I just am amazed someone recommended enzymes for that job. They have a place but thats not it plus not all enzyme based cleaners are green certified.

Post Thanks / Like
    First H1N1 is listed as a bacteria when its a virus. Well over hyped as well. I use steam to clean inside after stain removal.
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    As of right now there are no disinfectants that are certified to kill h1n1 but there is testing right now & by spring you should see some available. Use a disinfectant that will kill influenza A as this is basically a form of h1n1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or stop being paranoid about H1N1

Post Thanks / Like
    poordude.. i saw a lysol commercial the other day that said it kills h1n1.

Post Thanks / Like
    While useful info, the font you used makes me eyes bleed. Please change it.
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan - World Rally Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    This is right off the lysol website. They are word playing & not making an official claim.

The CDC is testing claims right now.

Q: Does LYSOL kill Influenza A H1N1?

A. Laboratory tests have shown that many LYSOL products, when used according to label instructions, are effective against similar strains of Influenza virus H1N1. These LYSOL products include: LYSOL Disinfectant Spray, LYSOL Disinfecting Wipes, and LYSOL All Purpose Cleaners, both pourable and trigger products.

Post Thanks / Like
    True the use of H1N1 was wrongly classified and is now corrected. The whole point of using H1N1 was to illustrate a point and not specified to instill any paranoia. The point that is being made is to use the proper chemical for the job.

While I also use steam to clean, carpeting is too porus to disinfect via steam. Therefore a disifecting agent is a good component to use in addition to your steam cleaner (such as the extreme situations mentioned earlier). In the case of a mouse infestation, would you trust only steam to kill off all the germs. If I am liable to do a job on a person`s vehicle, I choose the disinfectant and the steam. You could never play it too safe with someone`s health.

Thanks Poordude, I found Benelife Green Product_Information | Featuring the only Green-Certified, 100% Natural Disinfectant!. I know what I am getting with Microban and Lysol. It would be interesting to try this product out, but I am still not 100% sold on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Being an interior guy myself. (self proclaimed mind you) I found this to be very informative. Although I knew most of it already it`s good to see in post. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    We manufacter a nuetral ph quat based green disinfectant (influenxa a approved)that works well on carpets. I am sure other companies do as well. Keep searching as I got a time out for spamming (not intentional) & will keep my company name to myself. Our market is hospitals/schools & industry anyway. You guys can pm if you want technical info on what chemical you should be using but I will not give out any direct company info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by howareb
    In the case of a mouse infestation, would you trust only steam to kill off all the germs.

Of course I would trust only steam.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot in my previous post....there are some very good hydrogen peroxide cleaner/disinfectants that are green certified. These work great as they leave no residue & have very good kill claims. For proper disinfection you must clean up as much of the gross filth as you can. then area must remain wet for 10 minutes with product properly diluted.

I would probably look at the hydrogen peroxide based products & there are some very very good ones out there. They will disinfect; clean glass & any hard surface plus take stains out of carpets.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m all for good interior cleanings, but using special chemicals isn`t warranted unless there is a particular contamination issue. The "sunshine job" as its know in the mechanic trade is one of the best germ killers. Most bacteria/virus can`t live outside the human body for more than several hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information