Post Thanks / Like
    I`m wondering if any of you (like me) have accumulated a few products and tools you don`t like for detailing although that`s why you purchased them. What do you do with them? I`m looking to find alternate uses for:

polishes

waxes

foam gun

car washes

microfiber cloths (in good condition)

microfiber cloths (with suspect stuff caught in their fibers)

My specific list of products I`d like to find other uses for are:

Gilmour Foam Gun

Armor All original

Armor All car wash

Turtle wax soft paste wax (many years old. Maybe I should just throw it out?)

Mothers Carnauba Cleaner

Aquadry PVA "chamois"

Canadian Tire microfiber buffing cloths (some with unknown substances caught in their fibers)

I cleaned my vinyl hot tub cover with the Armor All car wash and put a layer of the Armor All original protectant on it a month or so ago. Seemed ok. The cover is pretty old and should possibly be replaced (it`s water logged) so I don`t feel bad experimenting on it. I would use the suspect MFs on the cover but not inside the hot tub.

I`ve moved on to bigger/better products and tools but hate to see stuff wasted that I purchased in the past. I know it`s a lot of "crap" but surely there`s SOME application around the house that they`re worthy for.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use my quick detailer to clean the appliances and stuff around the house including glass and mirrors. I use a pure polish to polish counters, appliances, toilets, tubs and so on. A vinyl dressing for my poker table. Just stuff like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to use stuff from the "Disgraced Products Shelf" as Bill D used to call them, for my aluminum cladding on the house windows, and the painted patio furniture.

Post Thanks / Like
    for my bathtub to reduce the time between cleaning, I use turtle wax or whatever I`m trying to get rid of.

Works great, good practice on the DA and saves my the time and pain of cleaning. The yucky stuff does not stick to the bathtub.

I use the towels for cleaning. They`re way better than the regular clothes for cleaning.

grout sponges and other sponges are demoted to cleaning the floor.

I also give my demoted stuff to my relatives/friends so its better than what they`re using. (if any)

Post Thanks / Like
    About putting wax on the tub. Sounds nice in terms of the yucky stuff not sticking...but doesn`t it make the tub slippery?

I`m also dubious about using MFs with contamination around the house. If it`ll scratch my paint, wouldn`t it scratch my stainless steel appliances, or my woodwork or whatever is getting cleaned? What would you consider to be strong enough to handle a potentially contaminated MF?

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve used mother`s aluminum polish on my platinum wedding band. i`ve got to somehow rig up something sturdier than just a q-tip in my cordless to get like it looking better. :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    ....I use Meg APC+ in the kitchen. It discovered that it cuts through grease on the stove, hood and surrounding areas better than the other cleaners my wife has been buying (like 409). I also use my 303 AP on patio furniture, etc. to protect it from the sun.

btw, I used my foam gun a couple of months back to fix a little bee problem I had (they were swarming). I filled it with liquid dish soap to dowse them so I could access the vent and block it off. I don’t have any "after" pics but here`s one before:

It worked like a charm. I`m getting a deionization system soon so I think I will be using my foam gun to saturate some of my harder to reach windows (using a brush on a pole to agitate) before rinsing with the DI water. ....I`m always thinking of other ways to use my detailing products around the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the bathtub, I`ve installed some these strips of tape with texture that prevents slippage...got them from home depot

not sure how to describe it but they stick onto the important surfaces like the bottom to ensure grip.

The usual areas that get waxed are the sides closer to the bottom of the tub and the walls.

Hope that makes sense...

As for the MF, I don`t use them on paint (or have not tried it yet), I use them on the floor(non-hardware) and to pickup messes. Oh and for drying my hands.

If the MF is too dirty, then it gets demoted to even worse jobs.

Yes, for items that risk getting scratched, I would not use the really bad towels but usually the MF is in better shape than the normal towels.

Hope that clarifies.

Quote Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan
    About putting wax on the tub. Sounds nice in terms of the yucky stuff not sticking...but doesn`t it make the tub slippery?

I`m also dubious about using MFs with contamination around the house. If it`ll scratch my paint, wouldn`t it scratch my stainless steel appliances, or my woodwork or whatever is getting cleaned? What would you consider to be strong enough to handle a potentially contaminated MF?

Post Thanks / Like
    See my notes in red

Quote Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan

My specific list of products I`d like to find other uses for are:

Gilmour Foam Gun - Sell it on Ebay. You should be able to get $20-$30 for it

Armor All original Just use it up, it shouldn`t take that long. Use it for wheel wells, tires, exterior trim, etc.

Armor All car wash It`s not that bad, just use it up.

Turtle wax soft paste wax (many years old. Maybe I should just throw it out?) Toss it.

Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Use this for door jambs, or your lawnmower,

Aquadry PVA "chamois" I don`t know what this is but it sounds crappy so toss it.

Canadian Tire microfiber buffing cloths (some with unknown substances caught in their fibers) There are only about three billion household uses for MF towels in any condition. Put them under the sink next to the windex, and Fantastik and you`ll be fine.

I cleaned my vinyl hot tub cover with the Armor All car wash and put a layer of the Armor All original protectant on it a month or so ago. Seemed ok. The cover is pretty old and should possibly be replaced (it`s water logged) so I don`t feel bad experimenting on it. I would use the suspect MFs on the cover but not inside the hot tub. MF`s should work fine even if they are "suspect". I wouldn`t use them on something sensitive to marring, like car paint. But they should be ok on vinyl, granite, marble, glass, tile, wood, and plastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    you could use the foam gun to clean your home windows if you live in a house. wash the kids if they`re soiled.

The towels you could use for the mirrors around the house or spills.
    Hitachi SP18VA and PC-XP

Post Thanks / Like
    I use several rinseless wash and wax products (TW Foam Away) for my metal mailbox, kids swingset(metal), and lawn mower.

I use DP rinseless in QD dilution to clean fingerprints off of interior/exterior windows and storm doors. (plus I like the smell)

Old MF`s (past their prime) are relegated to cleaning tools, engines, etc.

I use Armor All on the canopy of my kid`s swingset.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t use these around the house, but I do use them in my everyday work (drum/guitar/keyboard tech). Keep in mind this is for many different bands over the years.

Ammonia free glass cleaner for hardware and acrylic drums and guitars.

Wolfgang DGPS on one custom painted kit I take care of that is clear coated.

Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz for the same kit for daily upkeep.

Blue Magic metal polish to clean cymbals other various metal parts.

Menzerna PO85RD and 106FA to help clean up some scratching that can occur on the road.

Stoners Invisible glass on other various hardware and drum heads.

303 Protectant for drum thrones.

Goo Gone to remove old tape residue...

I`ve posted pics of the Disturbed kit when I work for them with a coat of DGPS and Instant Detail Spritz on it. Looks great.

Thread Information