Post Thanks / Like
    This may sound dumb but here goes. You have applied a coat of glaze, wax, or sealant and you want to apply another coat, why not let the first coat dry and go back over it with your second coat. I am talking about machine application here. I can understand if you have a neglected finish. Any opinions ???
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Who`s removing the first coat to layer another? Or do you mean like a month later?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am talking about the same day. Like you finish the whole car then go back to the panel you started and apply another coat.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRX8
    why not let the first coat dry and go back over it with your second coat.

You`re saying why buff out the first coat if you`re just going back to lay down a 2nd layer of the same?

You may have issues with residue if you don`t remove the initial coat. Could it turn "abrasive" when trying to apply a 2nd coat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that is what I am saying. For example RMG or a soft wax like Souveran.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    You`re saying why buff out the first coat if you`re just going back to lay down a 2nd layer of the same?

You may have issues with residue if you don`t remove the initial coat. Could it turn "abrasive" when trying to apply a 2nd coat?

Yeah, is that what you mean?

If so, you`ll just remove any layer that you put on after the first coat because it will not bond to the residue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Expanding on Danase`s explanation-

First coat: only the *tiny* amount of product that`s actually in contact with the paint stays on there, 99% of the product is excess/residue that`s gonna get buffed off.

If you apply the second coat without buffing the first, the second coat just goes on top of the residue and will *all* get buffed of along with that residue.

Griot`s has suggested this method for use with their wax and I`m 100% certain that all it accomplishes is a) a heavier residue/more excess getting buffed off (loading up the buffing towel more and faster), and b) wasted product, which might lead to buying more of their wax sooner

The only way for layering to work is for the second application to bond with the tiny bit of bonded product from the first coat that`s stuck to the paint *after* the first coat`s excess/residue is buffed off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Expanding on Danase`s explanation-

First coat: only the *tiny* amount of product that`s actually in contact with the paint stays on there, 99% of the product is excess/residue that`s gonna get buffed off.

If you apply the second coat without buffing the first, the second coat just goes on top of the residue and will *all* get buffed of along with that residue.

Griot`s has suggested this method for use with their wax and I`m 100% certain that all it accomplishes is a) a heavier residue/more excess getting buffed off (loading up the buffing towel more and faster), and b) wasted product, which might lead to buying more of their wax sooner

The only way for layering to work is for the second application to bond with the tiny bit of bonded product from the first coat that`s stuck to the paint *after* the first coat`s excess/residue is buffed off.

Much better explained than mine. LOL Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    Much better explained than mine. LOL ..

Well gee, I used a zillion more words to say it :hifive:

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree here, I really notice it with nattys blue wax, the first coat seems to go on alot tougher and comes off alot tougher than any following coats, the second coat goes on smooth as silk and come off just as easy.

Thread Information