Post Thanks / Like
    Well right now I have UC and Meg`s #9 which from my research here seems to be pretty mild. I`m looking for something in between the two for a three step correction if need be.

I was looking at M205 since everyone here raves about it, but on Meguiars "cut" scale, it is only one notch above Meg`s #9 (3 compared to 4). Is this a big jump?

I was thinking the Dual Action Cleaner/Polish would be more in between UC and #9, but would M205 be the better choice?

I am also willing to consider other polishes as long as they are not insanely priced.

Also, I was planning on using the UC mainly with my light cutting pad, my new polish (what I`m looking to get here) with my polishing pad, and the #9 with LC`s CCS grey pad (finishing?). Does this sound right?

Thanks again guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are looking to stay with Meguiars, definitely go with #205. I`ve hardly touched #83 since I started using #205. More than enough to take out the holograms from #105, so it should compliment UC as well.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    If you are looking to stay with Meguiars, definitely go with #205. I`ve hardly touched #83 since I started using #205. More than enough to take out the holograms from #105, so it should compliment UC as well.

Cool, thanks! I figured M205 had the cutting power of something "rated" higher than it while finishing well since it is so highly recommended. Someday I`ll also try M105, but since I already have UC and it is a little less harsh, I`ll stick with it for now since I`m just learning with a DA.

I would consider Menzerna`s line up but it`s so expensive for an amateur like me!

Off Topic: Does anyone know how many people are active on this board? I`ve been on a lot of forums and I`ve only been on one other that has this many friendly/helpful people. I feel bad making so many new threads within the last week or two about pretty basic things, but I`m just trying to learn as fast as I can. I have been using the search feature but not having to much luck as you can probably tell haha Thanks again to everyone that has helped me!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know a board that has 84,584 members currently active the last 30 days. :nervous2:

Not sure how many active members are here but there are a lot.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I know a board that has 84,584 members currently active the last 30 days. :nervous2:

Not sure how many active members are here but there are a lot.

rule #1

you dont talk about fight club

cant go wrong with 205, or if you want local id try swirlx too

Post Thanks / Like
    #205 - well worth a look, I love the polish since I got some to test at the very beginning of 2009 (wasn`t available here until March)... Liked it enough, I bought a gallon!

Its "unigrit" abrasives rather than diminshing so you can vary teh amount of cut offered to you by varying the pad a little and varying the worktime, but overall I find it very similar in cutting level to what the old #80 Speed Glaze offered (and hopefully will continue to offer, for its oil content is great when working on solid colours with no clear).

Its not a huge cutter though, and jumping from #205 to #105 is a big jump when in many cases (in my experience at least) it is simply not required and the use of the compound is a waste of paint - why remove 10um when you can achieve the required correction by removing 5um? To that end, I would also recommend looking at a polish with just a little more bit and that would put you into the territory of #83. Yes, more cut than #205, but if only going for one polish it will give you a bit more flexibility IMO. However, I would be getting both of them

If it has to be one polish, I would move away from Meguiars and be looking at Menzerna PO203S Power Finish - a bit more cut than #205, less than #83 but with a superb finishing ability and as a single stage flexible middle ground polish it is ideal
    "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Post Thanks / Like
    From the little I`ve seen UC would be a middle polish, something like IP. I`d say what you`d benefit most from is a good finishing polish like Menzerna 106 or 85RD. You can get 106 (FF or FA variety) in 16 oz sizes for ~$25, or sometimes a full quart for $29 on sale. Anyway, I think in the long term you`ll find that polish to be more useful rather than a filler-based product like #9, especially if you`re cleaning up haze/holograms from a more intensive step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by black03mach
    rule #1

you dont talk about fight club

...except there really is no rule #1.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HLxDrummer
    Off Topic: Does anyone know how many people are active on this board?

These statistics are at the bottom of the "Forums" page:

Members: 58,373, Active Members: 3,540

Post Thanks / Like
    Well right now I have UC and Meg`s #9 which from my research here seems to be pretty mild. I`m looking for something in between the two for a three step correction if need be.

I was looking at M205 since everyone here raves about it, but on Meguiars "cut" scale, it is only one notch above Meg`s #9 (3 compared to 4). Is this a big jump?

I was thinking the Dual Action Cleaner/Polish would be more in between UC and #9, but would M205 be the better choice?

I am also willing to consider other polishes as long as they are not insanely priced.

Also, I was planning on using the UC mainly with my light cutting pad, my new polish (what I`m looking to get here) with my polishing pad, and the #9 with LC`s CCS grey pad (finishing?). Does this sound right?

Thanks again guys!

Hello there

Welcome to the board. You as like most of us here will learn that this is an addiction. You will from now on try different polish`s, wax`s, compounds, towels, pads, etc.. etc.. etc.. There are alot of very good Helpful people on this board. This is a great board and once again welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy

For the narrow niche that detailing applies, that is pretty impressive.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wfedwar
    From the little I`ve seen UC would be a middle polish, something like IP. I`d say what you`d benefit most from is a good finishing polish like Menzerna 106 or 85RD. You can get 106 (FF or FA variety) in 16 oz sizes for ~$25, or sometimes a full quart for $29 on sale. Anyway, I think in the long term you`ll find that polish to be more useful rather than a filler-based product like #9, especially if you`re cleaning up haze/holograms from a more intensive step.

Hm.. I guess I`ll have to experiment to really see what works for me huh? I was hoping #9 would be a decent finishing polish and I came here to see it has a lot of fillers Wish I could take it back! I guess I`ll try it out on my car and use lots of IPA. So you would recommend me use UC as a middle polish, the Menz as final, and something else for a heavier compound?

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy

Duh! lol That`s a pretty hefty number of active members.

Quote Originally Posted by sellncars
    Hello there

Welcome to the board. You as like most of us here will learn that this is an addiction. You will from now on try different polish`s, wax`s, compounds, towels, pads, etc.. etc.. etc.. There are alot of very good Helpful people on this board. This is a great board and once again welcome.

Trust me, I already got the bug. It took me a while to get the mod bug with my VR4, but took me no time with detailing supplies. I just spent almost $500 in the last few weeks and still need more stuff. My bank account isn`t too happy with me right now lol Thanks for the welcome!

Anyhow, I think I`m going to look at #83, and #205 for now since I can hopefully get them local then next time I order online supplies try out some Menz So, what`s the conclusion between these two? Basically, can I use #9 as a finishing polish for now or is it mostly fillers and polish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys, I thought I could find #205 local and apparently I was wrong lol One place around here sells basically the whole professional line from Meguiars, but of course not #105 or #205.

So could anyone recommend me a polish for in touch up after UC that I can buy locally OTC? I think that store had #83 and #80 but I wasn`t sure if there would be something better for me.

Also, could I use #9 as like a ultra finishing polish or something on a grey pad since it is so mild/has lots of fillers? Even if I did an IPA wipedown after?

Post Thanks / Like
    ..Anyhow, I think I`m going to look at #83, and #205 for now since I can hopefully get them local then next time I order online supplies try out some Menz So, what`s the conclusion between these two? Basically, can I use #9 as a finishing polish for now or is it mostly fillers and polish?

I never liked how #83 finished out, I`d follow it with M205 or #80. Both of those should leave things ready-to-wax so I really don`t see #9 having any use at all (I know that`s not what you`d like to hear).

It *might* be OK for a final burnishing/jeweling, but I`d be *very* surprised if it improved any on the finish tha M205/#80 leaves behind. Well..the Trade Secret Oils/etc. in #9 might make for a little boost but once you IPA it you`ll take those off anyhow.

I`d save #9 for some situation where you`re either trying to do some concealing or you want a boost before using a #9-compatible LSP (and in that case I wouldn`t IPA).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I never liked how #83 finished out, I`d follow it with M205 or #80. Both of those should leave things ready-to-wax so I really don`t see #9 having any use at all (I know that`s not what you`d like to hear).

It *might* be OK for a final burnishing/jeweling, but I`d be *very* surprised if it improved any on the finish tha M205/#80 leaves behind. Well..the Trade Secret Oils/etc. in #9 might make for a little boost but once you IPA it you`ll take those off anyhow.

I`d save #9 for some situation where you`re either trying to do some concealing or you want a boost before using a #9-compatible LSP (and in that case I wouldn`t IPA).

Haha ya, I was just looking for a use for it :p Oh well. It won`t work with Zaino without an IPA wipedown correct? So I`ll probably just hang on to it for "just in case".

I`ll definitely be getting Menz or 105/205 on my next online order. I picked up some SwirlX for now since all the stores around here are out of everything decent (at least from what I found searching).

Thread Information