Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve done my research using the search engine and I am starting to go crazy making a decision. I`ve used Meguiars in the past, and liked it a lot. They have now come out with 105/205 and I have yet to use those products. If it makes a difference... these polishes will be used primarily on my garage queen only. It is a dark burgundy pearl paint that is about 1.5yrs old medium clearcoat hardness.

I`m planning on buying a complete set of polishes:

Heavy cut

Medium cut

Fine cut

Polish

Glaze (no cut filling only)

I`ve narrowed to the following brands but my brain is on overload.

Meguiars

Optimum

Poorboy`s World

Chemical Guys

Please list what brands of these polishes you have used and if you like them or not. Why do you like them or not? I have no experience with Optimum, Poorboy`s, or Chemical Guys. I`d like to stick with one brand unless you think that a certain product is hands down better than another.

I realize that the replies will be opinionated. That is what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Zac

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used Meguiars 105 and 205. They`re both great and deliver what they advertise. I`ve also used optimum which is a good price and very user friendly. Heard good things about poor boys 2.5 and there are some sales going on with all PB stuff right now.. might be worth looking at. Check out menzerna as well. this is very popular stuff, but don`t go for the cheap ones. I would also consider adding an All in One polish like Optimum poli-seal, Klasse AIO, duragloss, XMT etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    How about finish kare?

Post Thanks / Like
    Two produts

Menzerna Power Finish PO 203

Menzerna Polish PO85RD

and Red Moose Glaze

then your LSP
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    I see Menzerna is not on your list. IMHO, Menzerna has several polishes that set the standard for polishes in their categories.

Heavy: M105

Medium: Menzerna Super Intnesive Polish, Menzerna Intensive Polish, M205

Light: Menzerna PO106FF, PO106FA, M205, 3M Ultrafina

Finishing Polish: Menzerna PO85RD (the finest finishing polish in the world for hard clear coats), Menzerna Final Polish II aka Micro Polish (the finest finishing polish in the world for medium and soft clear coats), Ultrafina, M205, PO106ff
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post, Supe!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    I see Menzerna is not on your list. IMHO, Menzerna has several polishes that set the standard for polishes in their categories.

Heavy: M105

Medium: Menzerna Super Intnesive Polish, Menzerna Intensive Polish, M205

Light: Menzerna PO106FF, PO106FA, M205, 3M Ultrafina

Finishing Polish: Menzerna PO85RD (the finest finishing polish in the world for hard clear coats), Menzerna Final Polish II aka Micro Polish (the finest finishing polish in the world for medium and soft clear coats), Ultrafina, M205, PO106ff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks keep em` coming. I checked out Menzerna products but they seemed a bit pricey compared to the others. It also appeared by their website that they were specifically designed for the Mercedes cermaic clearcoats. This is what steered me away.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have

Poorboys SSR2.5 and SSR 1.

Meguiars 105 and 205.

I feel that either of these lineups is great and fairly easy to work with.

you cant go wrong with menzerna but they are more expensive and tend to be a bit finicky to work with

at times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buddha I would highly recommend Meg`s polishes and Menzerna PO85 or FPII for finishing... Meg`s #80 is a great all around polish that I`ve been using on every detail lately and if used properly doesn`t really dust at all... M83 is a bit more aggressive and dusts a bit but is very comparable with Menzerna SIP in terms of cut, SIp has a bit better finish and dust is similar, but since you need to follow each with something finer, I`d go with M83... Their more aggressive polishes are also great, M105 and M95 (I use M95 a lot as well)... they cut very well and finish down really clean for how aggressive they are.

In short, I`d recommend picking up some new M105, M83, M80 and Menzerna po85rd... I`d get Meg`s #9 or Menz 106ff/fa if using a RO instead of rotary, as I`ve found po85rd to really make no difference via RO.

Definitely stick with these two so your head stops spinning a bit haha
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha92SLC
    If it makes a difference... these polishes will be used primarily on my garage queen only. It is a dark burgundy pearl paint that is about 1.5yrs old medium clearcoat hardness.

I`m planning on buying a complete set of polishes:

Heavy cut

Medium cut

Fine cut

Polish

Glaze (no cut filling only)

If you are using this on a 1.5yo garaged car with good paint then you won`t need the heavy and medium cut compounds. :nono:

Light polishes are all going to be pretty similar. Just get some Meg`s swirlX, and use the money you save to apply more wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoudyL
    If you are using this on a 1.5yo garaged car with good paint then you won`t need the heavy and medium cut compounds. :nono:

Light polishes are all going to be pretty similar. Just get some Meg`s swirlX, and use the money you save to apply more wax.

Sorry to :argue with ya, but I completely disagree with that statement. There are *huge* differences between light polishes. Some light polishes simply won`t work on certain clear coats. Others work, but not as well as some. Having a selection of light polishes makes it more likely that you`ll be able to match the polish to the particular car you`re working on. Unfortunately, one size doesn`t fit all in *any* polish category. I wish it did; I`d only have three polishes in my inventory.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey supe i have to agree on that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to :argue with ya, but I completely disagree with that statement. There are *huge* differences between light polishes. Some light polishes simply won`t work on certain clear coats. Others work, but not as well as some. Having a selection of light polishes makes it more likely that you`ll be able to match the polish to the particular car you`re working on. Unfortunately, one size doesn`t fit all in *any* polish category. I wish it did; I`d only have three polishes in my inventory.

For the OP`s situation (1.5yo garaged car), I don`t think he`s going to find anything that is incredibly much better than SwirlX. :tumblewee

So from that perspective, they are all roughly the same. Of course polishes are different based on the combination of abrasives, lubricants, gloss agents, working ability etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to confuse gentlemen. These will be used primarily on my garage queen, however they will also be used on other autos as well. Like my truck, daily driver, girlfriends car etc. I guess I should have said that from the get go.

Post Thanks / Like

+1

In my quest to find those magic 3 polishes, I keep finding reasons to add more polishes. Some day I`ll trim the fat but for now, I`ll ad as I discover combinations to the 4 part puzzle: which polish on what type of paint with what pad on what machine.

Right now my big kick is finding products that work well in the sun-

And my vote is for the optimum line or poorboys as I feel they are not too fussy to work with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information