Post Thanks / Like
    I`m looking for the best aluminum cleaners for engine parts in my 98 M3. Your thoughts please.

Nik

Post Thanks / Like
    BlueAngel- I have`t done all that much to the engine compartment of mine (`97) yet, but on what I have done I used a Dremel with a polishing buff and some Meg`s NXT metal polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    I detailed my motor last week. Lots of Aluminum parts you see in the pic were polished and some are new. They are more new bolts, nuts and screws in my motor since these pics were taken one week ago. The motor looks almost brand new as it did when it left the assembly line and I want it keep it that way.

The two rusty bolts you see in the third pic have been replaced as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some more shots...

As you can see the throttle body in this pic has to go! It has 148k miles on it and looks terrible!

Post Thanks / Like
    BlueAngel- That`s coming along great! Looks like you don`t have much deep pitting to worry about, that`s gotta make things a little easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! When I first got the car it was very dirty! Covered with huge oil stains all over! Lots of dirt! and almost every screw, nut and bolt was rusted as hell! I posted a pic of my engine and people scold me! I got sick of it myself and did what I had to do. If u think it looks good you should see how it looks now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel
    Thanks! When I first got the car it was very dirty! Covered with huge oil stains all over! Lots of dirt! and almost every screw, nut and bolt was rusted as hell!

I know the feeling, mine was really nasty too...engine compartment and undercarriage looked like they were coated with black undercoating or something. Good thing folks like us get hold of `em before they get any worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I know the feeling, mine was really nasty too...engine compartment and undercarriage looked like they were coated with black undercoating or something. Good thing folks like us get hold of `em before they get any worse.

I agree. If it wasn`t for guys like me n you there will be less E36 M3`s on the road.

I recently gave it a chassis wash. I figured it was time since I drove it through the snow all winter. I will give it a chassis wash after each snow storm if I have to starting next winter. :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel
    ..I recently gave it a chassis wash. I figured it was time since I drove it through the snow all winter. I will give it a chassis wash after each snow storm if I have to starting next winter. :usa

Yeah, I`m a firm believer in cleaning the undercarriage at *every* wash, summer *and* winter (I know, I`m nutty...) so I`d sure do it in the winter.

Cleaning up the undercarriage without completely compromising the factory`s wax-based undercoating is a whole suject unto itself...what a chore that can be!

I also found that mine had all kinds of debris packed in its drainage channels! After I pulled the fender liners/etc., well...you woudn`t *believe* the [stuff] I cleaned out of there! I literally pulled it out by the handful at first; I can only imagine the problems it woulda caused down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Yeah, I`m a firm believer in cleaning the undercarriage at *every* wash, summer *and* winter (I know, I`m nutty...) so I`d sure do it in the winter.

Cleaning up the undercarriage without completely compromising the factory`s wax-based undercoating is a whole suject unto itself...what a chore that can be!

I also found that mine had all kinds of debris packed in its drainage channels! After I pulled the fender liners/etc., well...you woudn`t *believe* the [stuff] I cleaned out of there! I literally pulled it out by the handful at first; I can only imagine the problems it woulda caused down the road.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I pulled out a handfull myself from the same spot.

I use only water to clean the chassis and not the chemicals these places use. I dont want them stripping the factory wax as well.

Thread Information