Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxjax
    So after reading this thread, I headed out to the garage and found two bottles. Half a bottle of #7 and 3/4 of a bottle of #3. Can you guess what I`m doing this weekend?

I sure hope you enjoy the results.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to get some #3 to try me thinks - machine application all the way

Can anyone compare RMG with #3 and #5?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akimel
    Given that some are re-visiting Meguiar`s pure polishes, the rotary users among you might want to consider giving M03 Machine Glaze a try. Tim Lingor is particularly fond of the stuff. He believes that he can achieve a more liquid look with #3 and his rotary than he can with Megs` other pure polishes applied by hand or D/A. #3 is the one pure polish made by Meguiar`s that has been formulated for rotary application.

Hey Al,

Meguiar`s M03 Machine Glaze is one of my all time favorites! When used with a rotary, a finishing pad and a lower/moderate speed (around 1000 rpm), it provides that deep wet `liquid look`. The key is to remove the product while it is still damp using a top quality MF towel.

On a dark color, after M03, topped with M21 v2 or M26, the paint will be ultra deep and rich. On a light color, it adds incredible gloss! :xyxthumbs

Just IMHO!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Must #3 or #7 be topped with a carnauba wax or can it be topped with a synthetic sealant like NXT 2.0? Should it be applied before or after wax/sealant?

This following question may be premature considering the way the thread is progressing, but it would otherwise come out eventually. #3 or #7 preference? On red single-stage paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    So superbee,

At this point in your testing........RMG or #7

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    A good thread I came across comparing #3 and #7: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...s-3-7-a-3.html.

#7 is going into my cart purely for aesthetic reasons.

My original question still stands though. Carnauba or sealant over top of #7? Why?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    I sure hope you enjoy the results.

So, I did a test panel on my wife`s 08 Black Yukon Denali with #7 and #3. Both yielded great results, the paint looks very deep and wet and then I topped with Pinnacle Souveran. Unreal!

The only real thing holding me back is from using a glaze on a customer`s car is the glaze filling and any imperfections showing back up.
    2007 F350 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel

2008 Black Yukon Denali XL

2008 Crimson Red 335i (sold)

Reflection Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I did a test panel on my wife`s 08 Black Yukon Denali with #7 and #3. Both yielded great results, the paint looks very deep and wet and then I topped with Pinnacle Souveran. Unreal!

The only real thing holding me back is from using a glaze on a customer`s car is the glaze filling and any imperfections showing back up.

Don`t let that hold you back... a lot of people are simply used to swirl marks, and when we see 85% perfect, they see 100%... not only that, but if they`re regular clients you can keep hiding the swirls with something when they come back for a wash & wax... obviously I`m saying this considering you actually share your intentions with the client and tell them you`d rather hide some of the swirls than remove more paint... sometimes it`s simply necessary
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Works with either Carnauba or NXT 2.0 to seal in the wetlook from the glaze. The purpose of either is to slow the evaporation of the oils in the glaze. I frequently would use #7 over a sealant right before a show to make the paint extra wet looking and would reseal after the show. If not sealed with a wax or sealant, the oils evaporate in a couple days.

I loved the deep wetlook it gave my red MR2.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, I totally understand where you`re coming from. Just make sure you get the car as defect free as you feel comfortable with before using the glaze. #7 is all about looks, though; it doesn`t really do much in the concealing department. I did a test of this by putting holograms on my car and then trying to cover them up with #7. It didn`t conceal them one bit.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfelbab
    Works with either Carnauba or NXT 2.0 to seal in the wetlook from the glaze. The purpose of either is to slow the evaporation of the oils in the glaze. I frequently would use #7 over a sealant right before a show to make the paint extra wet looking and would reseal after the show. If not sealed with a wax or sealant, the oils evaporate in a couple days.

I loved the deep wetlook it gave my red MR2.

:xyxthumbs

The exact look I`m looking for on the exact car I`m working on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the day when I started detailing my cars ( 1976 ) #7 followed by #16 or #26 was the ultimate. 3M`s IHG was next. #7 can hide a lot and always comes out perfect sun or shade.

Post Thanks / Like
    ..#7...doesn`t really do much in the concealing department..

While it might not`ve hidden the holograms, it generally *does* do a fair amount of concealing IME, guess it just depends on what you`re working with (esp. b/c vs. ss) and who`s doing the evaluating.

When I wanted to do *something* to spruce up an old (ss lacquer) Jag I was flipping, I did a pretty incredible makeover using *only* #7. Temporary to say the least, but it sure did the trick. I *do* suppose that situation was primarily a matter of the old ss lacquer though... :think:

Heh heh, good thing this week is almost over; that makes *THREE* times you and I have been on opposite sides of the fence :nervous:

Quote Originally Posted by dogma
    Back in the day when I started detailing my cars ( 1976 ) #7 followed by #16 or #26 was the ultimate. 3M`s IHG was next...

Yeah, we`re suddenly coming full-circle here! I`m just waiting for somebody to rave about how IHG topped with Blitz is the New Hotness; at that point Autopia will be right back where it was when I first started lurking here. Kinda surprises me with all the newfangled products on the market, but then again when something simply *works* then I guess it`s no big mystery.

So, I did a test panel on my wife`s 08 Black Yukon Denali with #7 and #3...then I topped with Pinnacle Souveran...

Good heavens, doing a huge beast like that with a pure polish/Souveran combo OK, even if it *was* just one panel, as a YukonXL owner the idea still made an impression on me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

While it might not`ve hidden the holograms, it generally *does* do a fair amount of concealing IME, guess it just depends on what you`re working with (esp. b/c vs. ss) and who`s doing the evaluating.

When I wanted to do *something* to spruce up an old (ss lacquer) Jag I was flipping, I did a pretty incredible makeover using *only* #7. Temporary to say the least, but it sure did the trick. I *do* suppose that situation was primarily a matter of the old ss lacquer though... :think:

Heh heh, good thing this week is almost over; that makes *THREE* times you and I have been on opposite sides of the fence :nervous:

Yeah, we`re suddenly coming full-circle here! I`m just waiting for somebody to rave about how IHG topped with Blitz is the New Hotness; at that point Autopia will be right back where it was when I first started lurking here. Kinda surprises me with all the newfangled products on the market, but then again when something simply *works* then I guess it`s no big mystery.

Good heavens, doing a huge beast like that with a pure polish/Souveran combo OK, even if it *was* just one panel, as a YukonXL owner the idea still made an impression on me.

Yeah, TBH, my test wasn`t exactly comprehensive. Just putting a few grams in defect free paint and then seeing if #7 would hide them really isn`t a fair test of it`s concealing ability. Other than the holograms, the only defects in my paint are a few RIDS the car got when it was having it`s vinyl stickers applied at the factory. So I really didn`t have anything to gauge defect concealing.

I sure do love the look of number seven, though. My results using #7 back in the 80`s kinda kept me away from glazes in general until fairly recently.

It was actually something that Todd said that kindled my interest in glazes. He said something about how you can only achieve *so much* gloss by using an abrasive polish. If you want to take the gloss level over what`s possible using an abrasive, you gotta use something else: a good glaze.

As long as glazes aren`t used as a crutch for poor prep work, I sure don`t have a problem with their use. The added look is very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, TBH, my test wasn`t exactly comprehensive. Just putting a few grams in defect free paint and then seeing if #7 would hide them really isn`t a fair test of it`s concealing ability. Other than the holograms, the only defects in my paint are a few RIDS the car got when it was having it`s vinyl stickers applied at the factory. So I really didn`t have anything to gauge defect concealing.

I sure do love the look of number seven, though. My results using #7 back in the 80`s kinda kept me away from glazes in general until fairly recently.

It was actually something that Todd said that kindled my interest in glazes. He said something about how you can only achieve *so much* gloss by using an abrasive polish. If you want to take the gloss level over what`s possible using an abrasive, you gotta use something else: a good glaze.

As long as glazes aren`t used as a crutch for poor prep work, I sure don`t have a problem with their use. The added look is very nice.

Yea M07 looks nice and all but what if you spill a few drops on your garage floor or the driveway while applying? Or WORSE, if you have a bottle of M07 sitting on the floor and you knock it over and it spills like 6oz!! Do you have a water and waste reclamation system or will you simply wash it down the drain and ruin my life and the life of my children?!
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information