Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    ...a sealant and a wax?

I know this sounds like a very ammateur question, but really, do i need to use a sealant on top of wax?

For example, these are the steps i take to polish my daily driver vehicles:

1. wash

2. clay bar

3. wash

4. polish using something to remove acid rain and heavy scratches from auto car washes and daily driving (meg`s m105)

5. polish again using (meg`s m205)

5. wax (needs to be durable, don`t care how much it costs, shine is important, but not as important as durability)

6. sealant???? (is this needed if i use a wax?)

All products will be applied using a Flex XC3401 on a black 2005 Acura TL and a black 2004 Nissan Maxima.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see how the term "sealant" could be misconstrued as something used in conjunction with a wax. For everyone except Autopians, you would use one or the other. Some popular "waxes" are actually sealants, anyway (Meguiar`s NXT, for example).

Post Thanks / Like
    HOLTY- Generally, you`d apply the sealant first and *then* the wax if you were going to use both of them. Sealants are generally a lot more finicky about what they`ll bond to, and they usually don`t bond to wax.

IMO "sealants" generally refer to synthetic products while "waxes" are usually based on natural stuff like carnauba. But all "waxes" contain some synthetic stuff (if only solvents) and many are sorta hybrid products that are part sealant and part wax, if that makes any sense.

(Note all the "generally" and "usually" qualifiers in the above)

There are waxes that are at least as durable as most sealants.

Some people top sealants with wax for improved appearance, but IMO the improvement is usually very subtle and isn`t worth it because that wax application will preclude adding more sealant later.

I`d suggest two ways you could go for what you seem to want:

One/two applications of Collinite brand wax. Very, very durable.

OR

Mutliple layers of some sealant like FK1000P.

Both would be very inexpensive (one can of either would last for ages) and both would protect for a very long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    HOLTY- Generally, you`d apply the sealant first and *then* the wax if you were going to use both of them. Sealants are generally a lot more finicky about what they`ll bond to, and they usually don`t bond to wax.

IMO "sealants" generally refer to synthetic products while "waxes" are usually based on natural stuff like carnauba. But all "waxes" contain some synthetic stuff (if only solvents) and many are sorta hybrid products that are part sealant and part wax, if that makes any sense.

(Note all the "generally" and "usually" qualifiers in the above)

There are waxes that are at least as durable as most sealants.

Some people top sealants with wax for improved appearance, but IMO the improvement is usually very subtle and isn`t worth it because that wax application will preclude adding more sealant later.

I`d suggest two ways you could go for what you seem to want:

One/two applications of Collinite brand wax. Very, very durable.

OR

Mutliple layers of some sealant like FK1000P.

Both would be very inexpensive (one can of either would last for ages) and both would protect for a very long time.

Thanks for the fantastic answer, that really is what i was hoping to hear. I`m sure anyone could be overwhelmed with all the different products out there.

Regardless of price, is there a sealant out there that will last a long time, but only requires one coat? As it stands now, i`m spending about 8-10hrs doing the above steps on one vehicle. I just don`t have the time and energy to do multiple coats of things and i never can spare more than one whole day to do this. Being free for two days in a row to spend detailing my DD`s is pretty much impossible for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I know, it`s a long day, isn`t it? How often do you go through that regimen? As Accumulator suggested, a Collinite wax like 476S is going to be pretty durable at 1 coat. If you`re detailing as above every 3 months or so you could drop down to Collinite 845 which is a but more fun to apply and remove. I don`t know anything about FK1000P (personally) but I have to throw in that a Zaino sealant with the ZFX curing agent is also very durable. Perhaps another good solution would be one of the WOWA sealants such as Ultima, Optimum Opti-Seal, or Zaino Z-CS. These are very easy to apply and last a decent amount of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for optiseal/ultimapgp. you could also look into duragloss aquawax or optimum car wax

Post Thanks / Like
    HOLTY- Some people really like that Ultima, so you might want to look into it.

The Collinite 476S probably has the best 1-coat durability.

But note that many sealants are *VERY* easy on/off and you can just add another layer after each of a series of regular washes. It really doesn`t take more than a few minutes and before you know it you have numerous layers on there and then you can just wash for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    This regiman is done 3 times a year, on each vehicle.

You guys are fantastic, thank you so much for the quick answers.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for Ultima, Optimum Opti-Seal, or Zaino Z-CS if you want to save time. 1 coat will take about 10 minutes to complete. OOS isn`t the most durable with one layer but its easy to add another after each wash. 3-4 applications of OOS lasted through this Midwest winter with ease.

Accumulator- I`m curious about what you think of FK1000P as far as durability with a single coat and how easy it is to layer. Any special technique to apply 2nd, 3rd, etc layers? I`ve heard issues with Collinite layering (maybe it was just 845?). I recently did a car with RMG, 476S, FK425 wipedown, and a second 476S coat after about 20 hours using no special application method, hoping not to remove the previous layer. I guess I`m trying to compare a paste wax and sealant in paste form without ever using the later.
    -Jordan

Over the Top Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet you`d be great with almost anything mentioned for 4 months, and as Accumulator noted, if you do a re-app in the middle that`s only 2 months...any good sealant or wax mentioned should go that long. (I`m not saying that ANY sealant or wax will go that long, just that there are a lot of good ones mentioned above)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I bet you`d be great with almost anything mentioned for 4 months, and as Accumulator noted, if you do a re-app in the middle that`s only 2 months...

Yeah, I think people overestimate how long a rewax takes.

As long as you stay just a little bit ahead of the curve, reapplying can be a quick and simple process, and I mean just a few minutes. Think how fast you could do 845 if you were pressed for time and you can even sorta W-O-W-O stuff like 476S.

Quote Originally Posted by shine
    Accumulator- I`m curious about what you think of FK1000P as far as durability with a single coat and how easy it is to layer. Any special technique to apply 2nd, 3rd, etc layers? I`ve heard issues with Collinite layering (maybe it was just 845?). I recently did a car with RMG, 476S, FK425 wipedown, and a second 476S coat after about 20 hours using no special application method, hoping not to remove the previous layer. I guess I`m trying to compare a paste wax and sealant in paste form without ever using the later.

Eh..I`m sorta the wrong guy to ask about FK1000P as (so far) I`ve only used it on wheels. Somebody like Bence would know tons more than I do.

I`ve done the wheels this way: some AIO for a base, then a coat of FK1000P. Second coat a few hours later. Third and fourth the same way after waiting ~24 hours and the fifth and sixth the day after that. FinishKare claims it layers with hardly any wait/cure time but I like giving it a little while.

The Fk1000P does layer easily with no discernable solvent-effects or other problems, but again, I`m just using it on wheels (but all kinds of wheels- plated, painted, etc. with zero problems).

IME one coat of FK1000P doesn`t last as long as one coat of 476S (but then IME few things do and I can`t think of *any* right off-hand).

The Collinite layering issues (namely, pseudo-holograms that`re in the wax) are all related to 476S. Since you were able to layer that without problems then I`d say you`re home free in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Accumulator. Yeah, no problems with the second coat of 476S...unless they show up later. I`ll have to see what Bence has to say or has said about FK1000P if I end up ordering it.
    -Jordan

Over the Top Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    One more question for you guys....

Since i already have some Zaino products in my cabinet, i want to use them. Will Zaino products bond properly if i first use M105 and M205? Do i HAVE to use ALL zaino stuff for it to bond properly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just make sure you do an IPA wipedown or a Z6 wipedown before you put your Z2, Z5, or CS on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Just make sure you do an IPA wipedown or a Z6 wipedown before you put your Z2, Z5, or CS on.

IPA? Not seeing that one in the abbreviations list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information