Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted on Meg`s site, and have copied my post below. I will preface this by saying that I am not a pro but I enjoy detailing and have been doing it for several years. What I consider LSP ready may not be what many of you consider LSP ready, but I will assert that what I consider LSP ready would satisfy 99% of the public. Anyway, here it is:

I picked up a bottle last night for around $8. I have probably $150 worth of different polishes that I have picked up over the past 2 years. I have a black G35 with a repainted hood. Over the winter, I picked up some nice, long, shallow scratches in the hood, likely from improper cleaning technique. I really don`t worry about it too much in the winter, since I polish every spring anyway.

I used the PC with a Meg`s yellow pad and UC. I put about a quarter sized bit on the pad and spread it over a 1.5` x1.5` section. (I used less on subsequent applications). I started my first pass with enough pressure to allow only slow rotation of the pad. I did two passes in that fashion. Then I lightened up and moved the pad a little faster for 2-3 passes. By pass, I mean movement over the work area, not applications of product. I then (easily) wiped away the polish and was very pleasantly surprised to see that the marring was gone and the underlying paint was LSP ready.

I have used #80, #83, Menzerna FPII and IP, 3M products, etc. I must say, UC is, so far, the best of all of them. Unlike 80 and 83, you don`t have to try to guess when the product is ready to remove. I cannot tell you how many times I have been frustrated when 80 and/or 83 either gummed up or refused to be easily removed from the paint. Both could get finnicky. Both do a good job, but UC is a breath of fresh air. Just stop when you want and it easily wipes off, like a dream. It did the job with ONE application, not 1-2 of #80 or #83.

I have not used it on the rest of my car due to time constraints, but I will be using it. It will cut down on my polishing time considerably. Oh, another benefit: If you decide that you want to do a second application, just leave the old stuff on and go right over it with the new application. Try doing that with the old stuff without bogging down. For ease of use, price, and results, UC is absolutely the best out there.

Oh, one other thing. I was in a hurry and not paying attention and let the power cord come between me and the fender. (Don`t let it happen to you). I had just put everything away when I noticed the marring. I decided to put a dab of UC on a white 4 inch pad I had laying around and rubbed it over the marring. I rubbed for less than 20 seconds and checked out the area which was about 3" high and about 2 feet wide.. I am not kidding when I tell you that the marring from the cord and any other marring that was in the area was absolutely gone. I believe the bottle says to keep it handy for spot polishing. I know I will

If I obtain different results on the rest of my car, I will gladly report and provide details. Otherwise, I give UC a huge :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Great.... now there`s *another* product I gotta buy...

Thanks for that, Cassman, glad to hear you got such good results!
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    you gotta love technology of new products these days, it`s making work alot easier with the less aggressive machines and/or by hand as well... :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Great.... now there`s *another* product I gotta buy...

Thanks for that, Cassman, glad to hear you got such good results!

Yeah, but at least this can be obtained locally and for $8. Sorry. Ha.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with your review of UC. I have used it by hand to remove scratches in SS paint and with a Cyclo to restore a badly swirled, neglected black paint on a Sonoma. I love the work time, very minimal dusting, and I even experimented with different pads for deeper scratches. It finished LSP ready the majority of the time.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ultimate Compound is really a great product. It works great by PC and surprisingly well with an orange pad by hand. The only odd thing about it is the squeaking sound when working it by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    Ultimate Compound is really a great product. It works great by PC and surprisingly well with an orange pad by hand. The only odd thing about it is the squeaking sound when working it by hand.

squeaking like a mouse or like brake pads :grinno:

I have been using it by hand and I love it. Love love love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The freaky part is how much gloss Ultimate Compound adds. My buddy was watching me use it and he kept commenting how astounding the gloss was...from an aggressive hand rubbed compound- who woulda thunk it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Is everyone sure there are no fillers in UC? I`m playing devil`s advocate and kind of thinking `if it`s too good to be true`...Could this $8 polish really be that good?

Post Thanks / Like
    @blackcaraddict:

I am not sure about fillers, per se, but it has alot of oils in it. It allows a really long work time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m only skeptical because of the effectiveness by hand and how easy it is with the PC. I`d hate to use it only to find out it didn`t remove the defects unlike 3M`s Fine Cut which is currently my go-to compound.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used a IPA wipedown to remove the oils. It definitely has good corrective ability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it is similar in technology to the new 105 and it is getting really great reviews I think it is the real deal. I think they hit a home run with the new line.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frito
    Since it is similar in technology to the new 105 and it is getting really great reviews I think it is the real deal. I think they hit a home run with the new line.

I haven`t used M105 so maybe I`m offbase but I suspect that UC uses the same abrasive and has more polishing oils and buffering agents for amateur use.

Post Thanks / Like
    During a heavy wind storm a shingle was ripped off the roof of my house, and of course, it hit my car with the "sand-paper like" side down. To make matters worse it slid down my hood and then down the fender. Put pretty deep gouges in my fender. WITHOUT WET SANDING, I hit the fender with this off the shelf Ultimate Compound on a foamed wool pad; using my rotary I manged to COMPLETELY remove these deep scratches. And believe it or not, it finished down to a fine polish with just the slightest bit of holograming. In a week or so I will fine polish the vehicle.

I was going to buy M105............. no more, no need.

DG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information