wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a bottle of this today for kicks. I decided to try it out on some ice scraper induced scratches on my dads van. I used the orange side of a Sonus foam applicator by hand. You could feel the grit even with the lubricating oils. One scratch was pretty deep and wide. The UC by hand did improve the scratch. I used some 3m 3000RC by hand for comparison. It further improved the scratch indicating that it is indeed a bit more aggressive-probably because of less lubricating oils. I followed up again with the UC and IPA wipedown. By hand the UC leaves a pretty nice finish-I was actually surprised. I also tried UC on a couple smaller scratches and by hand it did quite well. For a consumer based product it`s pretty good. With a PC UC should work quite well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how UC and 105 compare for hand application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbasso

no that`s 105

they are talking about this:

Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound

you should be able to get it @ Walmart

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used UC last week on this Porsche with my G110 with awesome results, see link below.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-det...cabriolet.html

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes - this a great product to have in your arsenal. I did a test 3 weeks ago using the UC and M105 by hand on a section of an oxidized car. Both gave similar results, but the M105 cut faster. The UC is AWESOME with the PC.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    By PC how would you compare the cut of Ultimate compound vs SIP?

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    By PC how would you compare the cut of Ultimate compound vs SIP?

I hate to make a statement based on what I assume would be the case. However, I am getting an old hood on Monday from the local body shop, and this will be one of the tests that I`ll do on it. I will post back next week with my results.

If you really want to know, I would assume they are similar in cut via the PC, but I hate to state that as fact until I test side by side...I`ll probably wetsand part of the hood with 2500, and do a side by side test using the PC and an LC orange 6.6" pad.

I`ll post the results her later next week.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the Ultimate Compound out tonight with the PC and a 4 inch yellow Sonus pad. This product worked quite well. I had previously done a section with PO85RD-SIP and an application of UC improved upon the results. I`d definitely say that UC has more cut than SIP along with a bit more hazed finish. It also has a long work time-the temps were in the low 40`s. In hotter weather the working time may decrease. Also I was able to get the product to dust some. I was really impressed with the ability of UC to reduce 2000 grit tracers that still remained after 3m 3000RC with a wool pad on a rotary. The fact that UC improved on that with a foam pad on a PC is impressive. I`m almost tempted to try it with a wool pad and a rotary sometime.

I`m very skeptical of the Megs claim that this product only has a cut of 6 on their scale. I`m sure with a 6 inch polishing pad on a PC that the cut would be reduced but conversly using a foamed wool pad should increase the cut. In other words, I think the cut could be increased or decreased depending on the machine and pad being used. Nevertheless, for an OTC product it produces quite impressive results.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used it by hand on my new Mazdaspeed3 that had a really sub par finish (IMHO) from new. I am really impressed with the cut and finish. I used a little handle from my applicator to help better modulate even pressure.

I do not think that Meg. said it was a cut of 6. I would have to go back and read it but I think they compared it to a product that does have six and said it was close.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used it by hand on a SS paint to remove a deep scratch and by Cyclo on a 2001 Sonoma. It has a long work time, minimal dusting, and can finish almost LSP ready depending on the pad. IMO, it is a very good OTC consumer product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would Ultimate Compound = 3M Fine Cut ?? Accumulator, you out there?

Thread Information