Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda weird question I guess, but a customer of mine gets his VW serviced at the dealer and supposedly gets lemon scented windshield wiper fluid when he brings it in...he recently asked me if I could source any but I haven`t heard or seen any such product...have any of you guys seen anything like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    What benefit do you get from having scented wiper fluid? How can you even smell it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Idk, you would have to ask the vw owners lol, I guess it must smell enough for him to notice it when spraying the windshield unless he found out by popping open the resevoir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of cars draw outside air in from the base of the windshield...Since the washer fluid flows down to the base of the windshield, its very easy for the washer fluids` scent to drift in through the cabin filter...

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe they`re just suing lemonade without the sugar? maybe its a mix of lemon juice and water?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grease
    Lots of cars draw outside air in from the base of the windshield...Since the washer fluid flows down to the base of the windshield, its very easy for the washer fluids` scent to drift in through the cabin filter...

Yeah, that sounds plausible, except I can never, ever, remember smelling windshield washer inside the car (OTOH, I don`t use my washers much). Are we sure this isn`t a bit of miscommunication and the dealer uses a lemon-scented window cleaner while the car is being serviced? Many window cleaners have a scent that lingers.

Post Thanks / Like
    these porducts do exist(or atleast they used to)

and yes they do add a fragrance to the iinside of the car when the veant are used

I remeber Walmart used to sell it and a budy of mine used to use it ...but that was a few years ago

EDIT:if you take the title of this thread and put it in google the second hit is this

Citrus-scented one from our friends at Z1:

1Z einszett German Car Care Products -* Glass Cleaners & Windshield Washer Fluid

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that kind of makes sense that the VW dealer might be using 1Z products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Yeah, that sounds plausible, except I can never, ever, remember smelling windshield washer inside the car (OTOH, I don`t use my washers much). Are we sure this isn`t a bit of miscommunication and the dealer uses a lemon-scented window cleaner while the car is being serviced? Many window cleaners have a scent that lingers.
    I use my washers all the time...i mean ALL THE TIME. I go through about 3 x 3.78L jugs every 2 weeks, sometimes more. In the winter we get alot of wet snow, and slush, along with tonnes of salt. I drive alot in traffic, any my car is lowered, so its constantly getting the windshield dirty.

In my experience, it has more to do with how stronger the fluid smells, versus which car im in. I can easily smell Rain-x winter wash in the car, if that helps.

That being said, your explanation is more likely, in my opinion. I know the local VW dealership uses lots of 1Z products...

Post Thanks / Like
    2StepsAhead- When I saw the title of this thread I thought "oh YUCK!" but actually a light lemon scent might be pretty nice. He oughta just go ask the techs who work on his VW then we`d all know for sure. Heh heh, he oughta be on a first-name basis with `em for all sorts of reasons anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Yeah, that sounds plausible, except I can never, ever, remember smelling windshield washer inside the car (OTOH, I don`t use my washers much...

I don`t use mine either if I can help it, but some of my vehicles *really* give you a whiff of whatever the washerfluid smells like..and it`s not at all subtle. Even the A8/S8, with their fancy "cabin air filters" let you smell it a little. Guess it depends on the vehicle.

Note that the description of the 1Z stuff mentions how it "removes....wax..". Gotta say that the (generic) washer fluid I use in the MPV has *never* compromised its KSG, can`t remember it ever messing with the LSPs on the other vehicles either :think: I`m sure that it would if I used the washers *enough* but the extent that I do use `em doesn`t cause any issues. Sorta surprises me when I have the dried blue residue on the paint but the LSP is still OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since washer fluids are based on alcohols, I wouldnt be surprised if the stronger cleaning fluids (-45C) are able to remove some of the less durable waxes...

I mix my own fluid most of the time..1 pt ethyl alcohol - 3 pts water. This removes the old P21s wax, but it doesnt remove DG105, IME...I dont actually use RainX often, but it was the only strong smelling fluid I could think of...

This `problem` might not happen if the washer fluid nozzels are on the wiper blades, instead of on the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grease
    ..This `problem` might not happen if the washer fluid nozzels are on the wiper blades, instead of on the hood.

Ah...only one of my vehicles has `em mounted on the wipers, yeah, it does help keep the fluid from getting everywhere.

Another related pet-peeve: headlight washers that automatically spray when you use the (windshield) washers while the headlights are on I keep thinking I oughta get a bypass switch installed on the Audis but I`ve never gotten around to looking into it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2StepsAhead
    Kinda weird question I guess, but a customer of mine gets his VW serviced at the dealer and supposedly gets lemon scented windshield wiper fluid when he brings it in...he recently asked me if I could source any but I haven`t heard or seen any such product...have any of you guys seen anything like that?

The OEM bottled stuff at VW/Audi has a lemon scent, but only the concentrated stuff(similar to the 1Z stuff you can get).

If buy some, be sure and get the smaller concentrate bottles, the gallon sized stuff has a more solventy small.

Also, I believe it may be relabled Wurth cleaner fluid concentrate, so you might want to check that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Another related pet-peeve: headlight washers that automatically spray when you use the (windshield) washers while the headlights are on I keep thinking I oughta get a bypass switch installed on the Audis but I`ve never gotten around to looking into it.

Look into your local VW/Audi Tuner. They should have a Vag tool that they can plug into your vehicles CPU and turn that off in about 5 minutes. Unfortunately it might cost you $25. You can pick up your own vag-com tool as well, but they`re a good amount of money. I`ve driven nothing but German since I was 16 (except for my Xterra which I currently own) and since 99 (when I could finally afford a nicer German car), my first trip to the tuner always involves a series of vag mods. There`s just so much fun to be had with these simple, affordable mods.

If you tell me what model/year Audi you have, I can look up the code for the shop you take it to so they can simply plug and play.
    David Bibiloni

Tailored Automotive Detailing

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    D Tailor- Ah, great! The cars in question are a `00 A8 and a `01 S8. Both are only serviced at Stoddard Imported Cars (dealer) and I`m sure they`ll make that change for me.

I *would* appreciate the codes as it`ll make it easier to tell `em what I want. Thanks so much, this has been in the back of my mind every winter since we bought them new!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information