Thread: Wheel Brushes

Post Thanks / Like
    I am having a devil of a time getting my wheels clean. I had the same issue with my BMW BBS wheels. Where the honeycomb gets too tight for my finger I can`t get the black out. I have used Q-Tips and they do the job but are so labor insense. is there a better way?

Looking for a brush with long fibers to get into the tight areas. All I can find are brushes with metal inners and i do not want to scratch the rims.

The are the 08 M35X stock rims.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this:The EZ Detail Auto Brush was developed by a motorcyclist who was experiencing the familiar frustration of not being able to clean all the nooks and crannies of his bike. Rather than waiting for a solution, he developed it himself. Now the EZ Detail Auto Brush is spreading like wildfire through the motorcycle and automotive detailing industries thanks to its incredible versatility and flexibility.

If there’s a quality tool out there, it won’t take long for Corvette owners to find it! The EZ Detail Auto Brush has become a favorite tool of Vette owners because it reaches parts of the wheel that were previously inaccessible. The soft bristles are completely nonabrasive and the flexible stem allows the brush to go where no brush has gone before!

The EZ Detail Auto Brush by itself is a detailer’s dream but pair it with a quality wheel cleaner for an even better effect. Take a look at Autogeek’s selection of EZ Detail Auto Brushes and combos – you’ll love what it can do for your bike, vehicle, boat, or RV!

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for that. Great brush.

Post Thanks / Like
    here`s a pretty good value on the discontinued megs brushes...

Meguiars Jumbo Brush Package

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll usually wind up needing a combination of different brushes to get wheels clean. My all time favorite wheel brush is the World`s Greatest Boar`s Hair Wheel Brush. That brush wouldn`t do much for baked on brake dust since it is so soft. Those meg`s brushes that BigAl3 found are a nice find at a very good price.

The key, once you get your wheels clean, is to apply a durable long lasting sealer so they`ll be easier to keep clean. You also might want to consider some ceramic brake pads, those will make your life a whole lot easier keeping those wheels clean.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    You also might want to consider some ceramic brake pads, those will make your life a whole lot easier keeping those wheels clean.

+1. I`ve seen the Akebono Pro-Act make a big difference. They say they have dozens (hundreds?) of OEM-specific formulations, so there`s no guarantee that all of them will give the same improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have BBS RGRs on the M3, and yeah, they`re a real PIA to clean (especially the back/inside surfaces- gotta get one of those brush-on-a-stick things that works with an electric drill if I keep the car much longer).

The problem with really good, soft BHBs (the kind I love for my other vehicles) is that the long bristles deflect so easily that they can end up being *too* gentle. I end up using a bunch of different BHBs and also the little "three finger" sheepskin mitt that Griot`s sells.

This is one instance when I do *not* do my usual seal/etc. and clean with shampoo mix; on BBS-style wheels I just use wheel cleaners every time and maybe do a spriz of FK425.

I`m always a little :think: by all the people who like the EZ brushes...I just don`t like `em for cleaning wheels, but hey...seems like it`s just me and that everybody else loves `em :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the BEST wheel brush I have found to date. Needs a cordless drilll to clean wheel in 5-10 minutes:

Amazon.com: Power Brush Super Soft Wheel Cleaning Tool: Automotive

$20.00 from Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    here`s a pretty good value on the discontinued megs brushes...

Meguiars Jumbo Brush Package

That looks like a hell of a value.

I`m gonna have to check if they have it in stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another brush I find invaluable in my wheel brush arsenal is a simple sash brush, 2 inch version, duct tape around the ferrule.

I have the stock BMW Roadstars on the M Coupe, not as bad as Accumulator`s RGRs, but still lots of angles and corners. I usually grab the sash brush first, then the EZ Detail brush second.

My only regret is not having longer arms. That would keep my face farther away from the EZ Detail brush when I withdraw it from the wheel bits. It throws quite a bit of product back at me. Withdraw slower? Nope, not me. Darn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Sash brush = good (and cheap)

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC
    Another brush I find invaluable in my wheel brush arsenal is a simple sash brush, 2 inch version, duct tape around the ferrule.

I have the stock BMW Roadstars on the M Coupe, not as bad as Accumulator`s RGRs, but still lots of angles and corners. I usually grab the sash brush first, then the EZ Detail brush second.

My only regret is not having longer arms. That would keep my face farther away from the EZ Detail brush when I withdraw it from the wheel bits. It throws quite a bit of product back at me. Withdraw slower? Nope, not me. Darn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Sash brush = good (and cheap)

-John C.

Thanks, Just ordered the Daytona wheel brush. To keep from getting splattered. Take a cheap plastic plate and cut a slot from center to edge. Slip over stem and you have a splatter guard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a cheap plastic plate and cut a slot from center to edge. Slip over stem and you have a splatter guard.

Great idea !!!!!!! I have to try that..
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X
    Thanks, Just ordered the Daytona wheel brush. To keep from getting splattered. Take a cheap plastic plate and cut a slot from center to edge. Slip over stem and you have a splatter guard.
    Great tip and thanks a million. I was reading the write-up on the Daytona and I`m thinking it offers a few features that are better than the EZ Detail version, so you`ve made a good choice.

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like
    For nooks and crannies, I`m surprised nobody seems to have tried make-up brushes. They come in a ton of different sizes, and don`t deflect all that much, however the bristles still remain very soft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaze_RSX
    For nooks and crannies, I`m surprised nobody seems to have tried make-up brushes. They come in a ton of different sizes, and don`t deflect all that much, however the bristles still remain very soft.
    I`ve actually dabbled with a few of them for the wheels. The only problem is that after a rain, the mascara tends to run a bit.

Also, the bristles of the brushes are very soft and practically worthless for any cleaning purposes.

Good for makeup though. Maybe I`ll save them for the weekend or maybe my closeups.

Yes, Mr. DeMille, I`m ready for my closeup now.

-John C.

Thread Information