Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d probably use PO85RD and the apply Opti-Coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I didn`t do anything special. I had last waxed it with Fuzion in November and while my paint looked decent, the beading was getting a bit loose. Probably didn`t help that I went 4 weeks without washing it after my surgery mostly because once I recovered enough to wash my car, we had ice a couple weeks in a row. That sand and whatever else they mix in to spread on the roads here is tough on LSPs if you don`t wash it off quickly. I just washed my car with ONR and applied the sealant.

Expanding on David`s point, this would be a good product for customers who like you to use a beauty wax on their car. Most of them look terrific but don`t last all that long. The coating would give you pretty good protection (again, assuming this product is everything it is said to be) regardless of the longevity of what you apply over it.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRX8
    I`d probably use PO85RD and the apply Opti-Coat.

Give it a IPA wipedown as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaning Fool
    Assuming of course that a wax on top will indeed alter the look of the coating.

...or that you`d even want too. It has a really sick glow on my car. Going to be weird not doing anything but wash my car for a long time but I`m not sure topping it with anything would give me a better look than it has now.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Update for those interested in how the coating beads. No rain really in sight for Dallas and my car was dusty (hardly any rain here for 6 weeks, everything is dusty!) so I went to the local coin-op, washed it down with their soap (not being gentle with the coating, I want to see how it responds to less than Autopian care) and then hit it with the high pressure rinse then the spot free rinse.

Here is a video:

YouTube - Optimum Coating

And some beading pics...my car is an `02 (June `01 build date) so the paint doesn`t bead like a new car would with the same LSP. Noticed the same phenomenom with my old Accord after it was wrecked and the front end repainted. No matter what wax or sealant I used, the front end with the new paint beaded much better.

With the coating, my paint beads up just like new paint with fresh wax.

I`ll post updates as warranted.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m having a hard time distinguishing this "coating" from say, a consumer level clear coat. Meaning, if one was to apply this, what difference will it provide compared to a thin layer of clear? If it`s almost as durable as a clear and if you have to mechanically polish it off like a clear, won`t it ultimately just be another layer of "paint" that you`ll want to protect and visually enhance with a traditional wax/sealant?

It`s definitely an interesting concept and I can see pros and cons for it.

@Scott - Thanks for that video demo. Can you compare the look of this product to anything else on the market, or is the "coating" neutral in appearance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amused
    I`m having a hard time distinguishing this "coating" from say, a consumer level clear coat. Meaning, if one was to apply this, what difference will it provide compared to a thin layer of clear? If it`s almost as durable as a clear and if you have to mechanically polish it off like a clear, won`t it ultimately just be another layer of "paint" that you`ll want to protect and visually enhance with a traditional wax/sealant?

If by an "extra layer" of paint you mean "an extra, wetter layer of paint" then I guess it is. I really can`t see a point in topping it if you want to retain the beading/sheeting ability.

@Scott - Thanks for that video demo. Can you compare the look of this product to anything else on the market, or is the "coating" neutral in appearance?

The coating definitely adds gloss and wetness. Sort of like Opti-Seal, maybe a bit wetter looking.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax

The coating definitely adds gloss and wetness. Sort of like Opti-Seal, maybe a bit wetter looking.

To be honest Scott are there any other benefits other than extra durability over Opti-Seal which itself last a hell of a long time and appears to be easier to apply and remove ?

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread has actually gotten kind of interesting...kind of like the argument of whether a clear bra should have LSP...do you protect the protectant, etc. And would you use this if the factory coating was more durable and beaded like "new paint" for 10 or 12 years instead of 2 or 3 years. Interesting things to muse on.

Post Thanks / Like
    If this product can protect the surface from wash induced scratches then its promising, if not its just a long lasting coating that will be removed when I polish the car again.

Is this product going to be sold to dealerships?

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
    If this product can protect the surface from wash induced scratches then its promising, if not its just a long lasting coating that will be removed when I polish the car again.

Cheers,

GREG

These type products generally sell for over $1000 an application. It`s gonna have a very small potential market. This won`t appeal to leasers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    These type products generally sell for over $1000 an application. It`s gonna have a very small potential market. This won`t appeal to leasers.

Not really. Some(many) are much less. The actual cost of the product isn`t all that much more that any other high end sealant. I think it would be a great sell to someone that leases their vehicle by offering a true product that will last the term of their lease agreement. There`s tons of dealer sealant/protection plans that are marketed to people that lease.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got off the phone with Dr. G (Optimum founder). I had back surgery two weeks ago and I had informed Dr. G that I was going under the knife some time ago. He actually called me to check to see how I was doing.

I`ve never met him in person but I have talked to him via email and phone numerous times. I know this has nothing to do with the coating that this thread is dedicated but his phone call to me today just goes to show you what kind of a guy he is. It`s just another reason I believe in what he is doing at Optimum.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dervdave
    To be honest Scott are there any other benefits other than extra durability over Opti-Seal which itself last a hell of a long time and appears to be easier to apply and remove ?

Washing my car is noticably easier. The change in beading was remarkable. No matter what I used on my car, the beading was good but never the tight round beads that you get on freshly waxed newer paint. The paint on my car is going on 8 years old and it has been outside 24/7 for at least the last 14 months and 30,000 miles of driving. The way it beads now, you`d think I had a fresh paint job.

I am not sure what the benefit would be to the typical autopian who likes to regularly polish, wax or seal their finish. If you have an older car though, it seems that at least initially, the coating rejuvinates the paint. What I want to see is how long the tight beading, slickness and great water shedding ability lasts. I would feel very confident in saying as long as my car`s paint continues to respond like it does in the video and beads like it does in the pictures, that the coating is still presesnt and giving my paint protection.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols

Cheers,

GREG

My understanding is that Optimum will license distributors who will then market the product. My guess is that it would make sense for those distributors to visit car dealerships. The biggest advantage I can see to car dealers using this product is that the application method means their detailing monkey`s won`t be using buffers on new cars. Of course, for me, that is a huge disadvantage. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, did you put Opti-Coating on your wheels also? I am just wondering if it would make brake dust easy to remove.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread Information