Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting thread, and even more interesting product.

I would love to see a product like this actually work out and be viable as much as the next guy, but at the same time, judging from the history of ALL other products that were claimed to do the same thing...it`s hard to get excited.

From a technical standpoint what this product is claimed to do would require a huge breakthrough in technology and approach from anything ever made before...it`s not just a new wax or sealant- this would be an entirely new product form the ground up with serious innovation.

Again, would love to think we can gain access to a "coating" that lasts years...but my better judgment is keeping me from holding my breath on this one. :doh

I can`t wait to see the true, long term testing results from un-biased sources. :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumadar
    Again, would love to think we can gain access to a "coating" that lasts years...but my better judgment is keeping me from holding my breath on this one. :doh

But we do have access to a coating like that...it`s called paint, and I`m guessing it`s a lot more durable than the new Optimum product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a product that really excites me, but I reckon it will excite somebody

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    But we do have access to a coating like that...it`s called paint, and I`m guessing it`s a lot more durable than the new Optimum product.

True, but then why wax or seal the paint at all? The more durable the sacrificial barrier covering the paint, the better.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    True, but then why wax or seal the paint at all? The more durable the sacrificial barrier covering the paint, the better.

I agree completely. Just the hyperbole is getting a little thick here.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of prep do you have to do for Opti-Coat ????

MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    For any coating, you have to prep the paint perfectly. Coatings can fill up very minor imperfections, but they aren`t designed to do that. They will do nothing with deeper swirls, so when you lock them in with a coating, they are set.

Application is different too. Some coatings are sprayed on (most wasteful), some can be wiped on/off easily. Most of them has an absolutely grabby, bare paint feel yet they shed water like hot iron. The Optimum is a very friendly product as it can go on top of every surface & material and is slick. It has an excellent appearance too. Some coatings are designed for painted surfaces, but nono on plastics, glass, etc.

For the wipe-on types, a flat, lint free applicator is great. Better quality cosmetic makeup pads, flat, fine MF pads are excellent.

Layerability is a funny thing because as you try to apply a new coat over an existing one, the new one beads up immediately when sprayed on, and sometimes under the MF app. Yes, it can be done, but the application must be very focused to avoid a patchy, uneven result.

Don`t wash the car for at least 48 hours (preferably 1-2 weeks).

Post Thanks / Like
    So you would use s polish to remove existing waxes and sealants? How About it Scottwax? How did you prep?

Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    For any coating, you have to prep the paint perfectly. Coatings can fill up very minor imperfections, but they aren`t designed to do that. They will do nothing with deeper swirls, so when you lock them in with a coating, they are set.

Application is different too. Some coatings are sprayed on (most wasteful), some can be wiped on/off easily. Most of them has an absolutely grabby, bare paint feel yet they shed water like hot iron. The Optimum is a very friendly product as it can go on top of every surface & material and is slick. It has an excellent appearance too. Some coatings are designed for painted surfaces, but nono on plastics, glass, etc.

For the wipe-on types, a flat, lint free applicator is great. Better quality cosmetic makeup pads, flat, fine MF pads are excellent.

Layerability is a funny thing because as you try to apply a new coat over an existing one, the new one beads up immediately when sprayed on, and sometimes under the MF app. Yes, it can be done, but the application must be very focused to avoid a patchy, uneven result.

Don`t wash the car for at least 48 hours (preferably 1-2 weeks).
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Still waiting for my sample too........

I think you could find a place for this product in just about every application we face. Who doesn`t want a durable product on their paint protecting it? No one said you can`t wax over it. I see it *almost* as adding an additional layer of clear over your existing paint. How many people with single stage back in the day wouldn`t want that? On that thought, I wonder what UV barrier (if any) this product provides?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Still waiting for my sample too........

I think you could find a place for this product in just about every application we face. Who doesn`t want a durable product on their paint protecting it? No one said you can`t wax over it. I see it *almost* as adding an additional layer of clear over your existing paint. How many people with single stage back in the day wouldn`t want that? On that thought, I wonder what UV barrier (if any) this product provides?

Yes, in theory you could find an application for this. The BIG question that still remains is, how much is it going to cost your client for you to put it on? Another big unknown is the cost to the professional detailer. Thirdly, on average, how long will the product last, not based on "claims" but unbiased testing. Still, many questions need answered.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the dirt that stick to paint, that can`t be washed off but has to be removed by clay, a degreaser or a cleaner or polish. How do you remove it without removing the protection? And I think you should get paint clean a few times per year at least. For me something like Opti seal is the longest lasting protection I really need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think I have to use my sample next weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark77
    What about the dirt that stick to paint, that can`t be washed off but has to be removed by clay, a degreaser or a cleaner or polish. How do you remove it without removing the protection? And I think you should get paint clean a few times per year at least. For me something like Opti seal is the longest lasting protection I really need.

You can`t remove coatings with clay, degreaser or similar. They have to be polished away. An IPA wipedown usually freshens them up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRX8
    So you would use s polish to remove existing waxes and sealants? How About it Scottwax? How did you prep?

I didn`t do anything special. I had last waxed it with Fuzion in November and while my paint looked decent, the beading was getting a bit loose. Probably didn`t help that I went 4 weeks without washing it after my surgery mostly because once I recovered enough to wash my car, we had ice a couple weeks in a row. That sand and whatever else they mix in to spread on the roads here is tough on LSPs if you don`t wash it off quickly. I just washed my car with ONR and applied the sealant.

Expanding on David`s point, this would be a good product for customers who like you to use a beauty wax on their car. Most of them look terrific but don`t last all that long. The coating would give you pretty good protection (again, assuming this product is everything it is said to be) regardless of the longevity of what you apply over it.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t do anything special. I had last waxed it with Fuzion in November and while my paint looked decent, the beading was getting a bit loose. Probably didn`t help that I went 4 weeks without washing it after my surgery mostly because once I recovered enough to wash my car, we had ice a couple weeks in a row. That sand and whatever else they mix in to spread on the roads here is tough on LSPs if you don`t wash it off quickly. I just washed my car with ONR and applied the sealant.

Expanding on David`s point, this would be a good product for customers who like you to use a beauty wax on their car. Most of them look terrific but don`t last all that long. The coating would give you pretty good protection (again, assuming this product is everything it is said to be) regardless of the longevity of what you apply over it.

Assuming of course that a wax on top will indeed alter the look of the coating.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread Information