it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    So after thinking about my car, and wanting to keep my paint as protected as possible since I had my bumper and fender replaced and resprayed this past Fall, I considered my options for a new LSP. I tried to find something `tried and true` and thanks to Danase (Bob`s) sale I picked up some Collinite No. 885 Fleetwax (Same as #476s except bigger container) for a good deal.

With the cold weather, and my other priorities I only polished my car with Optimum Poli-Seal and PC for just base. I then applied the Collinite by hand with a slightly damp applicator in thin coats. It was about 45 degrees out, and I was in the shade. Needless to say the application was extremely easy and effortless. I didn`t notice any streaking or difficulties as others have mentioned. The tin actually says to apply in 55 degree or higher, but I was OK.

Looks are always subjective, and I`ve used a fair amount of waxes and sealants (EX, EX-P, #21, UPP, 1Z Glanz, TS, P21s, OCW, etc.) on my black Acura and can never really tell a difference between them, they all look great granted I polish the car. So looks we`re good in that respect, but the Poli-Seal really helped clean up micro marring, and darkened my paint, so I have to thank that for it.

I know it`s a little early for durability but the other night I got stuck doing an overnight at my job and we had freezing rain all night. My car was all frozen, but later in the am it beaded extremely nice throughout the next rainy day. The car was fairly slick as well. It then rained again, and the car was beading like a champ.

It`s a little soon to judge the product`s durability, but thus far it`s a really nice wax. If it continues to bead with consistency like this for the next couple of months, I don`t think I`ll ever buy a new LSP.

I plan on doing my families car whenever time permits with the Collinite as well.

Sorry for no pictures, but I though I`d share my findings for anyone hesitant on the product, don`t be!

Thanks for the help in my other Collinite thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have #885 as one of my newer waxes. I found the same as you, very easy application and removal, a little goes a very long way and yes it does last a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the 476 is an animal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the more and more I read about 885 I realize how well it works and how popular it is.

Nice review.

Post Thanks / Like
    JohnnyDaJackal- Glad you like the 885, and thanks for posting that about how it worked OK at the low temp.

Post Thanks / Like
    We use 476/885 as our winter wax, very durable against salt, winter sludge et al. Still beading last April after many washes, a lot of salt. I top it with DWG for a nicer look, won`t last through the winter with the Collinite but fun while it lasts.

Use FK1 1000P topped with DWG for April-October, looks fabulous, easy to apply & remove.

Post Thanks / Like
    Read somewhere this was also the same stuff as the 915, is that true?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
    Read somewhere this was also the same stuff as the 915, is that true?

As mentioned by the OP, 885 and 476s are identical products, the former being marketed for boats, the latter for cars. 915 is a separate product. According to the Colllinite website, 915 has more carnauba in it than 476s.

Post Thanks / Like
    I applied #885 to my car at the beginning of the winter season. The horizontal surface beading is almost as good as when first applied. We`re having another tough winter and some very cold temps - - the car has been kept fairly clean. Stuff is definitely starting to bond to the side panels and the surfaces growing rough to the touch. No big deal...I`ve never found a product where this wasn`t the case as we move through a difficult season.

One thing I really like is foaming the car with a good strong solution (car wash soap) and then rinsing and letting it drip dry. The result has been excellent and is far better than doing nothing. I hope to give the car a proper wash this weekend while temps briefly climb above freezing. For me, the #885 is one of those classic Autopian-style values It looks great on the dark red paint, I`ll likely use it year-round.
    Cars: bringing people together

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    I applied #885 to my car at the beginning of the winter season. The horizontal surface beading is almost as good as when first applied. We`re having another tough winter and some very cold temps - - the car has been kept fairly clean. Stuff is definitely starting to bond to the side panels and the surfaces growing rough to the touch. No big deal...I`ve never found a product where this wasn`t the case as we move through a difficult season.

One thing I really like is foaming the car with a good strong solution (car wash soap) and then rinsing and letting it drip dry. The result has been excellent and is far better than doing nothing. I hope to give the car a proper wash this weekend while temps briefly climb above freezing. For me, the #885 is one of those classic Autopian-style values It looks great on the dark red paint, I`ll likely use it year-round.

I`ve found that salt would stick into 845 as well. I think true sealants don`t have as much of an issue but you still get a certain amount of bonded contaminants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, I know of no way to avoid it. It`s why we have spring clean up sessions!

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in the same boat as Tom P with the bitter cold weather in the NE, as well as weekly snow duskings. The collinite definitely appears to be holding up nicely though, and just last week, I was watching water bead off really nicely from the melting snow.

Unfortunately, I haven`t given the Fleetwax a true test, as I wiped my car down with Meguiar`s UQD, and have brough it to a car wash twice where they apply their own `sealer wax`. I still feel very confident in the product, and like Tom P again, I will probably use this wax year round for my car as I`m after maximum protection, and it looks great on my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDaJackal
    Unfortunately, I haven`t given the Fleetwax a true test, as I wiped my car down with Meguiar`s UQD, and have brough it to a car wash twice where they apply their own `sealer wax`..

I don`t think the use of a QD really undermines your ability to determine if the Collinite is working out well (which is seems to be :xyxthumbs ) and I bet that carwash stuff isn`t any more significant than the QD.

Glad it`s working out for you. It`ll be interesting to see how it cleans up come spring.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I don`t think the use of a QD really undermines your ability to determine if the Collinite is working out well (which is seems to be :xyxthumbs ) and I bet that carwash stuff isn`t any more significant than the QD.

Glad it`s working out for you. It`ll be interesting to see how it cleans up come spring.

That`s funny that you mention it. Just this afternoon we had a quick `sun shower` and my car was beading nicer, and tighter compared to my mom`s car. Both cars were taken to same car wash place that puts on their `sealer wax`, except my car has the 885 whereas my mom`s car doesn`t have a wax/sealant on it. :up

Thread Information