Post Thanks / Like
    What`s everyone think about this kit? It comes with plastx and some sort of pad for about 20 bucks. Is there something better out there for removing that yellow film old headlights get?

Post Thanks / Like
    have not seen this kit from megs yet.where did you see it i can`t seem to find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its on autodetailingsolutions.com I`m pretty sure its new for 09 but essentially its just plastx and some sort of pad that can be used with a drill and a microfiber towel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
    I`m pretty sure its new for 09.

Correct.

It was one of several recent product rollouts announced on the meg`s online forum last month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Id get the 3M kit that you use with a drill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well honestly I have had very nice results just using PlastX by hand. If it was bad, I just wetsanded the headlights, then used plastx.

Im guessing that this just might be a quicker solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    A fair amount of people have reported great results with the materials from the kit on MOL.

I myself use Meg`s Unigrit sandpaper followed by M86, and then PlastX. I love the results I get. So do the customers...

Post Thanks / Like
    I make my own using DACP and Optimum Poli-Seal. Works great on Nissan/Infiniti headlights.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Checked out that 3M product. Although seems like it would work great, it also seems like alot of work. Looks like I might get the meguiars kit just cause it will work almost as good and is alot easier and quicker to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a box of the 3M 500, 800, 1500 grit 3" sanding disks and a box of the 3000 grit Trizact sanding disks. Then I finish up with the 3M or Megs plastic polish. You get different # of disks in each box. The higher the grit the less per box. The 3000 grit Trizact sanding disks are expensive but I have reused them many times after rinsing them clean. They are a foam back sanding disk that is sturdy. They are the same materials you get in that little kit for about $22 at Autozone or Advanced Auto (except for no 1500 grit disks in the kit). You could do about maybe 3-5 pairs of headlights with that kit.

I only wet sand when the headlight are really bad. Otherwise I polish using IP or M105 and then an AIO is usually good enough to make them clear and also seals them.

I use the 500 and 800 grit to make sure that I have cut below all the defects and revealed fresh plastic. The surface is frosty white and opaque at this point. Then the 1500 and 3000 grit disks bring it back almost clear again. The plastic polishes finish the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Slightly off topic, but I`ve had great luck with several different brands of headlight kits. My question... how do you keep the headlight discoloration and cloudiness from coming back in two or three months?

Anyone else have this problem?
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Henry
    Slightly off topic, but I`ve had great luck with several different brands of headlight kits. My question... how do you keep the headlight discoloration and cloudiness from coming back in two or three months?

Anyone else have this problem?

In the case of Nissan/Infiniti, I just make it a practice to polish the headlights along with the rest of the car. The headlights are sort of like single stage paint. You have to regularly polish them.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Im curious as to whats different about nissan/infiniti head lights. Also does anyone use synthetic sealants on headlights/taillights or can they not be used on plastic?

Whats your process for regular lights?

Thread Information