Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D60?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys got the wifey wanting a nice camera. Lucky me she wants a Nikon D60. Trying to look on Craigslist and ebay but no luck. Where do you guys get the best deal? I am assuming over the internet I can get a better deal. From what I have read before seems to be a popular camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait for the holidays to be over and the Livesearch cash back to go back up to 25-30% and then get one off ebay. When you say no luck on ebay, what do you mean? Because I know there are a lot of them on there.

Post Thanks / Like
    be very careful shopping for camera deals online. always check resellerratings.com before you buy from someone as there are alot of bait and switch stores where they advertise a really low price but then they`ll make you call in and then they want you to pay an extra hundred dollars for a battery or something like that when really the battery should come with the camera. another thing that places do that advertise really low prices is sell gray market stuff without the nikon warranty. so my suggestion is to just buy from a place that has a good reputation because they`re usually pretty close on price and you know that you won`t get screwed. so my favorite places to buy from are:

bhphotovideo.com

adorama.com

keh.com

keh sells alot of used equipment if thats what your looking for.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam N.
    be very careful shopping for camera deals online. always check resellerratings.com before you buy from someone as there are alot of bait and switch stores where they advertise a really low price but then they`ll make you call in and then they want you to pay an extra hundred dollars for a battery or something like that when really the battery should come with the camera. another thing that places do that advertise really low prices is sell gray market stuff without the nikon warranty. so my suggestion is to just buy from a place that has a good reputation because they`re usually pretty close on price and you know that you won`t get screwed. so my favorite places to buy from are:

bhphotovideo.com

adorama.com

keh.com

keh sells alot of used equipment if thats what your looking for.

Good advice. The saying, `if it`s too good to be true` applies with cameras and lenses. I buy everything from reputable shops (B&H and Adorama) to avoid any nonsense.

Post Thanks / Like
    B and H Camera or Neptune Camera if your on LI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anal1
    Hey guys got the wifey wanting a nice camera. Lucky me she wants a Nikon D60.

Mr. Anal, that`s a great camera. You both will enjoy it.

Pay attention to what Sam has written about the rip-off artists in NY/NJ. Stick with a mainstream player like B&H, Adorama, Beach Camera etc. NEVER overlook Amazon.

I got an email coupon from NIKON this afternoon showing the D60 + 18-55 VR lense for $550. I don`t know if that`s a good deal or otherwise. I`ve already got two of them (D80, D40) and haven`t really been paying attention to prices. I do know the competition is fierce and they`re practically giving these things away.

Take care.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve ordered from KEH and had very good luck. The camera and lens were as described and customer service was fine.

Do you have to get the D60? It`s a better idea to buy a D40 or D40X and get some better lenses than the 18-55mm that comes stock.

IMO the lens is much more important than the camera body.

From KEH, you can get a D40X and an 18-135mm lens for $500.

Also, check out Nikonians.org or slrgear.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Or consider what I did: Buy the D40 and sell the kit lense. Buy the 18-200mm VR lense and have a great setup that`s likely to satsisfy for a long time.

(My net cost on the D40 body was $300 )

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah after doing som comparison shopping I think the d60 might be overkill for us. Looking more at the d40 now. What is the difference in the d40 and d40x? I am not a photographer neither is she but I do like taking photos of details and such and would enjoy learning to take awesome pics. So I think I will talk her out of the d60 as she doesn`t know much more about them. I know she said she wanted the rechargeable battery pack. I assume both the latter models come with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    you know, if your not set on the d60 and are willing to buy used, i would go for a d50 or d70s if you don`t mind the smaller lcd screen. the d40, d50, and d70 all use the same sensor that should be fine for any printing you want to do. i`ve made 17x22" prints from my d50 that look great and i couldn`t see much use for printing any bigger. but the reason to go with the d50/d70s over the d40/d40x/d60 is that they took the internal focus motors out of the camera bodies for the d40/d40x/d60 and so then you can`t autofocus with the majority of the lenses nikon has produced recently. while they are adding more lenses that autofocus with the new bodies you pay a pretty hefty price premium for them and they`re usually not that much better than the lenses they replace.

btw the biggest difference between the newer and older bodies is that they made the lcd screens on the newer camera`s quite a bit bigger while making the actual camera body smaller(which is why they took away the focus motor, to make the camera body smaller)

Post Thanks / Like
    The D40X has 10.2mp compared to the 6.1mp in the D40 (864 pixels wider in the D40X).

Also, the ISO starts at 100 on the D40X and it shoots 3 FPS compared to starting at 200 ISO and 2.5 FPS on the D40

In all, I don`t think that the extra money is with it for the D40X (and this is coming from a D40X owner).

Post Thanks / Like
    I think just about everything has rechargable batteries nowadays. The D40x has a higher megapixel count, but some view that as a negative. There are one or two other minor differences.

FWIW, these cameras, whether the D40, D60 or D80 or beyond, all have a lot of controls and options selectable via the menu system. While you can run them in a P&S mode, you`ll never get the most out of the camera.

I`ll tell ya, there are some great cameras at the $200 price point...lots to pick from. Could this be a better solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    and on the megapixel front i think its all kind of a big scam to convince consumers that they need to spend more money on a new camera every year or two. i`ve never really found myself wanting more than the 6.1 megapixels that my d50 has, even on the paid shoots that i`ve done.

also the more pixels you cram onto a sensor the more noise your going to have. which is why the d40x starts at iso 100 instead of 200 because it needs to be less sensitive to acheive the same level of detail before it starts having problems with noise. this is also why point and shoots usually run at such a low iso is that they have a 10 megapixels crammed onto a sensor 1/3rd of the size of the sensor in a dslr which means that the pixels are very very small on the sensor and therefore more sensitive to noise coming off of the pixels next to them.

even though rockwell can be over the top sometimes he still has some good points, so read this with a grain of salt but that doesn`t mean it isn`t relavent. The Megapixel Myth

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the inability to autofocus the AF-D lenses is a major downfall. I`m actually looking to upgrade to the D90 for just that reason.

I have a 60mm Micro AF-D that I use and it works great (my favorite lens), but it won`t autofocus at all.

Some are just going to use the current lenses anyways. But, there are tons of great AF-D lenses ou there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the info but there are alot of terms i`m ignorant too. That is why I said I would have to put forth some learning which is no problem and I would enjoy actually. Checking out the sites you mentioned. I did find some on ebay but nothing on craigslist in my area that is a real deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information