Post Thanks / Like
    Something I`ve been wondering about for a few years. Ever notice that Meguiars themselves seem to over-hype certain products that really aren`t that great or special? And yet at the same time have other products in their line-up that really are good but you don`t hear much from them.

I`ll give some examples. (purely IMO though, YMMV).

Over-hyped, by the company:

- Gold Class wax

- NXT Tech Wax (at least the first version, I hear 2.0 is much improved)

- Medallion PP (when it still existed years ago)

- many of their wheel & tire products

Under-hyped (or not really `promoted` at all), but loved by many in the detailing communities:

- #16 Paste Wax (when it was still produced)

- #26 Hi-tech Yellow Wax

- #20 Polymer Sealant

- #83 DACP

- #40 Vinyl & Rubber treatment

I`m sure there are many more examples than I`ve listed above.

Post Thanks / Like
    I notice a pattern in your list.

Your "over-hyped" products are all mass consumer grade products. Your "under-hyped" products are all detailer grade products.

The consumer grade stuff sees much more marketing dollars, which I`m suspecting leads to your interpretation of being hyped more. So the question is why does Megs hype the consumer stuff even though its not as good?

My answer would be that Megs does not push the detail grade goods because "joe six pack" could actually damage his car`s paint with them if not used correctly. Conversely, the consumer grade goods are all relatively safe even if used in a poor process.

Post Thanks / Like
    its funny that your list of hyped vs under-hyped is consumer vs pro products. So being over hyped by meguiars sounds about right!

For me the exceptional products are:

#26 - super stuff at twice the price

#21 - great looks and decent durability combined with excellent paint protection

#40 - very warm rich look without shine

Quick Interior Detailer

Foam Pads, both for machine and the little yellow ones

Over hyped:

#16 - so it beads a long time..wow. Its flat and boring but glossy

UQD - AW is so much better

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane
    Something I`ve been wondering about for a few years. Ever notice that Meguiars themselves seem to over-hype certain products that really aren`t that great or special? And yet at the same time have other products in their line-up that really are good but you don`t hear much from them.

I`ll give some examples. (purely IMO though, YMMV).

Over-hyped, by the company:

- Gold Class wax

- NXT Tech Wax (at least the first version, I hear 2.0 is much improved)

- Medallion PP (when it still existed years ago)

- many of their wheel & tire products

Under-hyped (or not really `promoted` at all), but loved by many in the detailing communities:

- #16 Paste Wax (when it was still produced)

- #26 Hi-tech Yellow Wax

- #20 Polymer Sealant

- #83 DACP

- #40 Vinyl & Rubber treatment

I`m sure there are many more examples than I`ve listed above.

My opinion is...

Some of the products you mentioned were very good compared to other products available (at the time they were introduced). Gold Class was touted as the most reflective wax they`ve ever offered. I don`t think Meguiar`s ever went so far as to `attack` (my word) another brand while touting theirs on this product. In fact, up until recently, I`d use Gold Class on a collection of 25 cars to prep them for a hot rod get together every year. It spread and wiped easily, and left protection and felt slippery. Not the most durable product, but it worked faster than any spray wax and was veery easy to use.

The Medallion was a product I personally used a lot of in the old days. There was a very loyal following for it (I still buy up the bottles I see to resell later). Meguiar`s used to offer Medallion in a gallon, and I sold many gallons to the hot rod guys. It could be a finicky product, but I`ll bet it would still be around if not for VOC regulations (maybe not... who knows). I could see your point on this one, as it was a `love it or hate it` product.

The others you mentioned as being popular are all in the Mirror Glaze line, which doesn`t get anywhere near the advertising that the consumer stuff does. But, a lot of guys that use it professionally spread the word to other professional guys so the popularity of the products continue.

We are all so `in the loop` that many of the consumer products may seem silly or tame by our standards. But, their cleaner/wax in the burgundy bottle still is very popular for beginners, and trust of the brand goes a long way towards the customer loyalty. I don`t like shiny, long lasting tire dressing at all. A lot of people do, so products like Endurance and Hot Shine sell very well.

My opinion, since you asked. :getdown

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by askjeffro
    My answer would be that Megs does not push the detail grade goods because "joe six pack" could actually damage his car`s paint with them if not used correctly. Conversely, the consumer grade goods are all relatively safe even if used in a poor process.

I agree with that sentiment in regards to polishing compounds, scratch & swirl removers, clay bars, etc.

But what about LSPs and dressings/treatments? I can`t see Joe Six Pack harm anything using the better superior products often found within the mirror glaze line.

Just to use CDN pricing for a sec. I can go buy GC for $20 or NXT for $30. But I can also buy #26 for $13, a much better wax IMO. (NXT 2.0 might be better, but 2.5x better, to justify the price?)

On the other hand, from a pure profit standpoint if they can get more average joe 6-packs spending $20-30 for their hyped wax vs. $13, then there`s my answer I guess. :think2

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with that sentiment in regards to polishing compounds, scratch & swirl removers, clay bars, etc.

But what about LSPs and dressings/treatments? I can`t see Joe Six Pack harm anything using the better superior products often found within the mirror glaze line.

Yeah, I`ve wondered that myself. My best guess is they want to provide the professional line with better quality product to remain a consideration in the shops. I have not used those products , except #26, perhaps they are just harder to use overall then the consumer line?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think they lean really heavily into having cleaners in the consumer line LSPs. Their assumption, IMO, is correct, most surfaces are not going to be anywhere near properly prepped. The pro products assume there was some sort of prep work done.

Fact is most people that buy a wax at an auto store just slather it all over the paint and expect the paint to look like it did on day one.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to use CDN pricing for a sec. I can go buy GC for $20 or NXT for $30. But I can also buy #26 for $13, a much better wax IMO. (NXT 2.0 might be better, but 2.5x better, to justify the price?)

Wow! If NXT is selling for $30 Canadian dollars, and #26 for only $13, then I don`t blame you for thinking that NXT is not worth the extra dough. Just looking at the EShine Canada website, I see any number of good waxes and sealants selling for less than $25, including Megs #21 (the professional version of NXT).

But to keep things in perspective, here in the States one can pick up a bottle of #26 for $12 (16 ounces or $0.75 per ounce) and a bottle of NXT for $16 (18 ounces or $0.89 per ounce). Is the extra 14 cents per ounce worth it to the average consumer? Probably yes, because NXT does not require the preparatory work that M26 does.

So is NXT over-hyped? Perhaps we should first ask, over-hyped by who? One can`t complain that Meguiar`s aggressively markets NXT to the otc consumer. That`s business. Are there otc waxes/sealants out there that are as good or better than NXT and that sell for less? Perhaps, but it would be helpful to name those products and invite comparison. Products that immediately come to mind: Turtle Ice Liquid Polish, Mothers` SynWax, EagleOne NanoWax, Black Magic Liquid Wax, Duragloss Total Performance Polish (#105). With the exception of Duragloss, these are the products I see at WalMart and the local auto store around where I live. When compared to these products, is NXT over-hyped and over-priced? My guess, based on what I have read here at Autopia and elsewhere, is that the one product here that is under-hyped is DG 105.

Cheers,

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    #83 was a nice alternative to my Menz IP when I ran out of that. I have since replaced both with Prima Swirl as NONE of them finish down LSP ready like Swirl does. I now have 1/2-3/4 full bottles of Megs and Menz now

Thread Information