Post Thanks / Like
    Are tire dressings that contain silicone necessarily bad for your tires? Are is it that certain silicones are bad for tires? I`m debating whether to order a gallon of Duragloss Tire & Mat Dressing 252 and Non Silicone Dressing 322. Are they distinctly different or is there some overlap b/t the two?

I`m not sure that 252 does contain silicone, but if it does, is it necessarily "bad" for your tires. If you`ve used both products I`d like to hear your feedback concerning

(1) level of shine and (2) longevity of the product. Thanks

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it is a clear greasy silicone I`d avoid it on tires. Michelin had a tech bulletin advising not to use silicone on tires several years ago. If it is a white silicone dressing it is fine to use on tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    I try to stay with water base dressing for tires/interiors. Silicone dressings last longer and tend to shine more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any deterioration of the tires from using a solvent based tire dressing will take probably 10 years before you will notice any cracking. Why are you driving around on 10 year old tires anyways????

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Is silicone the same as a solvent based dressing?

My tires started showing dry rot cracking after three years of using silicone dressing. My tread was still at 5/32 after 40k miles. The tires came new with the car and the DOT showed that the tires were only a month older than the car.

Only thing I ever used on the tires and wheels was P21S wheel cleaner and a few different otc tire dressings.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKleven
    Any deterioration of the tires from using a solvent based tire dressing will take probably 10 years before you will notice any cracking. Why are you driving around on 10 year old tires anyways????

John

Definitely not true, I used a clear silicone based tire dressing on one set of tires and developed cracking within 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKleven

John

So they deteriorate tires and cause accelerated cracking? Good.

Stick with something water-based. FK1 108 is tough to beat on most tires/rubber/plastic interior/exterior.

Post Thanks / Like
    I try to avoid silicone dressings really for one reason; these dressings have a tendency to sling on the surrounding panels. Silicone will last longer than water based dressing, but it is really whether how much gloss you want in tires. Silicone is usually safe for your tires. However, if you have ceramic brakes/pads then silicone products are not recommended. ( silicone can contaminate the pads )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXTASY

Stick with something water-based. FK1 108 is tough to beat on most tires/rubber/plastic interior/exterior.

Agreed , excellent stuff.

Anyone know where Opt.Tire Shine falls in with this silicone debate ?

Anyone do a comparison between 108 and Opt TS ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The rule of thumb is just to avoid the clear ones, and stick with the milky ones. I`ve never had good results with oily dressings anyways.

I like the milky ones because even after the tire has been cleaned, when you use it every wash, it seems to "build up" (not a bad thing) in the tire over time, keeping it looking blacker, longer, without reapplication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys. Keep your responses coming. Maybe AL-53 will chime in and shed some light on whether or not 252 even contains silicone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXTASY
    So they deteriorate tires and cause accelerated cracking? Good.

have you ever used opti-bond by optimum? I am curious as to how you would compare them to each other...:hm
    My profession and obsession

Post Thanks / Like
    What are some OTC non silicone dressings that are not real shiney?

Thread Information