Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I tried 845 after washing and drying my car. It already had UPP and Optiseal and I wanted to top it with 845. My first observation was that 845 smells like Raid bug spray and it has a really oily feel. It felt like I was putting olive oil and solvent on the car. I let it haze for about 15 minutes and then I removed it. It was very a difficult product to remove compared to all other sealants and waxes that I have used in the past 10 years(and I tried a lot of products). I hope it lasts a while because this product is going way in the back shelf of my detailing products and I hope the solvents don`t remove my layer of UPP. I was not too impressed

Post Thanks / Like
    Way too much product.

Post Thanks / Like
    It definitely doesn`t smell the greatest, but 845IW is good stuff. If it was hard to remove, you put it on to thick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does 845 really have solvents in it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MBenz

Yes.

http://www.colliniteautomotive.com/m...and925msds.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    So does that mean it will clean away any protection that has already been applied?

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally yes the 845 will remove a lot of previous product applied. The strong solvents dissolve the wax in to liquid form and are what help the wax in 845 bond to paint and other difficult to wax surfaces like gel coat and obviously ceramic electrical insulators.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MBenz

All automotive waxes have some level of solvents in them, otherwise you would applying something that had the consistency of a Jolly Rancher. The solvents are minimal in Collinite 845, as it has little to no cleaning ability.

Anyone who has trouble with 845 Insulator Wax is probably applying it incorrectly. I use a 4" blue pad on my PC to apply a very thin coat. I would guess it takes about four tablespoons of product to wax a 4-door sedan. Then I use my Sam`s Club MF towels to remove the excess wax, and it comes off very easily.
    My stable includes a 2019 Toyota Avalon and a 2016 BMW 550i.

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason is ask is i was planning on using KAIO then topping it with 845. If the iw will remove the AIO or clean as well as AIO, then there is really no reason to use klasse.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never experienced any solvent-action or significant cleaning with 845. It *definitely* does not clean the way most all-in-one products and/or paint cleaners do.

I`ve used it over filling/concealing products and it never compromised them. E.g., 845 over 1z polishes (the ones that leave stuff behind) works great, no effect on the 1Z waxes/etc. at all. Doesn`t appear to remove Meguiar`s pure polishes either.

While most anything will do some degree of cleaning, and liquid waxes by their very nature do more of this than some other products, 845 is *NOT* something I`d ever consider a cleaner. Also, IME most products *once they set up* (or cure, or crosslink, or whatever they do) aren`t all that easily compromised.

And heh heh..."remove AIO" concerns make me think "how could you ever know?" :chuckle: IME the stuff KAIO leaves behind is *so* minimal that you`d never miss it anyhow, at least not compared to 845.

FWIW, I use even *less* 845 than Joel_MD. I wait until it`ll pass the finger-swipe test and it always wipes right off. If you see much 845 dust on your buffing MF, you used too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too much product. Thin coats come off easy after the swipe test for me. 845 makes water bead like crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought it smelled like rubber fishing worms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies I guess I used too much but aside from that, the whole garage smells like Raid and the feel of the 845 on the paint just doesn`t have that buttery smooth feel that I prefer. I rather apply something like UPP or Pinnacle Paste Glaz (which I still have) or Poorboys EX - even if I do have to apply those more often.

Post Thanks / Like
    love 845 - find it very easy and extremely long lasting, and it gives a lovely deep wet finish...

never had an issue using it but I am always trying to use the least amount of product possible....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rad21
    ..the feel of the 845 on the paint just doesn`t have that buttery smooth feel that I prefer. I rather apply something like UPP or Pinnacle Paste Glaz...

Yeah, the tactile qualities of UPP are mighty nice all right.

I kinda get the feeling you`d like 476S better than 845; it has a sorta special feel to it too, as does KSG (at least if you layer it enough).

Heh heh, I kinda *like* the weird chemically odor of some products like 845

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information