Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for a medium clay bar to quickly remove tree sap, tar, etc. on vehicles that will be polished after claying. I`ve never used clay with more bite than say Clay Magic blue so I need some suggestions. Sonus Grey? Megs red? Maybe something like the Ultima elatrofoam thingie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frito Bandito
    Looking for a medium clay bar to quickly remove tree sap, tar, etc. on vehicles that will be polished after claying. I`ve never used clay with more bite than say Clay Magic blue so... Sonus Grey? Megs red?

I`d be careful about using anything more aggressive that what you have now. I clayed without issues since the early `90s, but then I marred up my M3 (hard clear) something awful with the current version of Sonus gray. IMO, if you use something more aggressive than the ClayMagic Blue you`d better be prepared to polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I`d be careful about using anything more aggressive that what you have now. I clayed without issues since the early `90s, but then I marred up my M3 (hard clear) something awful with the current version of Sonus gray. IMO, if you use something more aggressive than the ClayMagic Blue you`d better be prepared to polish.

Yes sir, that`s why I started out by saying for vehicles that will be polished after claying.

I use Danase fine or Sonus Fine grade on my personal vehicle. I wash it weekly so usually contaminates don`t have a chance to really stick to the paint so mild clay works very well at removing them without marring. I`m looking for a clay bar (one will last me a long time) for family members cars of that occasional paid detail I get talked into. These always seem to have stuff that`s REALLY stuck to the paint that mild clay takes FOREVER to remove. Probably should have explained myself better.....

How hard was the marring to remove?

Post Thanks / Like
    i use Zaino red clay for everything (which is very mild)...if that doesn`t do the trick, i bring out the gray Sonus...i haven`t encountered anything that it wouldn`t work on yet. i always polish after claying, but haven`t noticed any significant marring from it.
    2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive used Megs red and I find it no more abrasive than clay magic blue. Ive used about 15 different kinds of clay over my 15 years and to date the clay magic blue has worked the best minus the old poly clay.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve only used a handful of different clays, but they all seem the same in function to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the Sonus Grey maybe once or twice, once I saw it leaving marring readily apparant under flourescents on *silver*, I immediately threw it out.

I use Meguiar`s Blue clay on 90% of my details, as a general purpose clay I find it works very well. Sonus Green on well maintained vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like Megs Blue, its got enough bite to pick up plenty of contaminants but it wont marr the finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frito Bandito
    Yes sir, that`s why I started out by saying for vehicles that will be polished after claying.

Argh... Sorry, please excuse my careless reading of your original post

I`m looking for a clay bar (one will last me a long time) for family members cars of that occasional paid detail I get talked into. These always seem to have stuff that`s REALLY stuck to the paint that mild clay takes FOREVER to remove. Probably should have explained myself better.....

No, no...the mistake was mine.

I dunno just what to recommend as my favorite for jobs like this (Smart Clay/Poly Clay) is pretty much unavailable. I woulda said the ClayMagic Blue.

How hard was the marring to remove?

Not that bad, but it`s hard for me to give a good answer as the vehicle in question was really marred up anyhow and I went straight to quite aggressive rotary work (aggressive enough that clay marring wasn`t an issue at all).

I`ll go out on a limb and say that I *think* the marring from the Sonus gray would be easy enough to clear up if you`re doing a medium/more aggressive polishing anyhow. Just watch your technique (lube/pressure) as what works OK with milder clays could lead to trouble with that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Argh... Sorry, please excuse my careless reading of your original post

No, no...the mistake was mine.

I dunno just what to recommend as my favorite for jobs like this (Smart Clay/Poly Clay) is pretty much unavailable. I woulda said the ClayMagic Blue.

Not that bad, but it`s hard for me to give a good answer as the vehicle in question was really marred up anyhow and I went straight to quite aggressive rotary work (aggressive enough that clay marring wasn`t an issue at all).

I`ll go out on a limb and say that I *think* the marring from the Sonus gray would be easy enough to clear up if you`re doing a medium/more aggressive polishing anyhow. Just watch your technique (lube/pressure) as what works OK with milder clays could lead to trouble with that one.

I`ll let your carelessness slide this time........

Looks like I may just have to live with it taking forever to remove some contaminants. I would rather not introduce marring that requires more than a finishing polish to remove.

Post Thanks / Like
    Meg`s Red is very aggressive. I recently clayed a Subaru with heavy over spray. Meg`s Blue wouldn`t touch it. The red bar did the trick no problem. However, it did haze the finish considerably. Which is to be expected. One pass with 105 took the haze away. It`s really best to have a couple clays at your disposal. A mild to medium for light jobs and a heavy for over spray and such. Just be prepared to polish (which I know you stated) after. For heavy work I would suggest the Meg`s Red bar as it has worked well for me.

I ALWAYS polish after I clay anyway. So for me it`s a non-issue if some hazing is introduced.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^^ yep....I dont even offer a wash, clay, wax option...its either wash, wax or wash, clay, one step minimum

I love the sonus grey...takes out debris rather quickly (while scuffing the paint), and then the ensuing polishing/compounding will remove scuffing with ease

Thread Information