Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey folks I`m planning on placing an order with Autogeek this weekend and I`m looking for a heavy hitting compound to round out my order. I`m wondering what product(s) are known to have the most cut?

I already own a few great compounds but I`m looking for something that hits harder. I already own CG 1500 Diamond Cut, M105, M4, and I just tried a sample of 3M Perfect It Rubbing Compound (not to be confused with Extra Cut Compound, or is it the same?). So as you can see I already have some excellent products that have great cutting ability, but I`m still looking for something that hits harder. I have a Flex 3401 with PFW but I normally compound with my 9227 with 3M wool compounding pad.

I`ve already "carted" some Optimum products (ONR, Opti-Seal) and was looking hard at their Hyper Compound, but if it doesn`t hit as hard as M105 I`d rather pass on it and find something else.

So what are the heaviest hitting compounds on the market? If autogeek doesn`t carry it that`s fine I`ll just order it elsewhere later, but it would be nice if they did carry it as I`d like to get my order over the $95 mark to get the 20% off. I really don`t need anything else right now and I`m a few dollars short of the $95 minimum.

Lastly I am looking for a BP for rotary that will enable use of 5 1/4" pads as well as 6.5" pads. Does this exist? I was looking at the 4 3/4" BP from LC on Autogeek.

Your replies are appreciated. TIA!
    Abralon Surfaced-Makita Powered-Club Flex Finished

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want something heavier duty than M105, it would have to be 3M Extra Cut or Meguiar`s Diamond Cut. I think there is also Presta 1500. These are heavy duty compounds though and are not to be taken lightly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Presta Ultra Cutting Creme and Ultra Cutting Creme Light.
    Quality Doesn`t Cost, It Pay`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C04
    If you want something heavier duty than M105, it would have to be Extra Cut or Diamond Cut. I think there is also Presta 1500. These are heavy duty compounds though and are not to be taken lightly.

Extra Cut is 3M correct? If so do you happen to know the 3M product #?

Diamond Cut? M85 2.0? Or something else?

Any Autopia sponsor sites that carry the Presta Products?

Any thoughts on the BP question?

I don`t take any abravive lightly but I also get to test on my own car that I recently repainted...so I`m not too concerned if I jack it up.

Thanks for the replies!
    Abralon Surfaced-Makita Powered-Club Flex Finished

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQDetailer
    Extra Cut is 3M correct? If so do you happen to know the 3M product #?

Diamond Cut? M85 2.0? Or something else?

Any Autopia sponsor sites that carry the Presta Products?

Any thoughts on the BP question?

I don`t take any abravive lightly but I also get to test on my own car that I recently repainted...so I`m not too concerned if I jack it up.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, no I don`t, and yes. I don`t know of any Autopia sponsors that have Presta off hand. With regard to the backing plate, it is a good idea to keep the backing plate 1" smaller than the pad. A 0.5" difference is too small, in my experience. Also, using a bp with pads much larger is not ideal either. You will need two different bps for your application.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want something that can literally take paint off without effort, then turtle wax regular rubbing compound, it`s a red paste in a tub. This stuff is as abrasive as fine sand. Also it`s water based and doesn`t break down so just keep the surface watered and you`ll be cutting all day long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you already sand it all down? To what grit? and which clear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiar`s Diamond Cut 2.0 works for me. Very fast cutting. Keep in mind the working time is not that long and I get a lot of dusting from it. Also in humid weather it can clump up on you. With that said it works fast and with some time it gets easier to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    M105 is a 12 on the Meguiar`s cutting scale, as is Speed Cut Compound, AKA #95. Both are rated to remove 1200 grit sandpaper marks. M105 finishes finer and has less drag. (new school/old school).

Both also have non-diminishing micro abrasives.

Diamond Cut is a 10 cut on the scale, and is rated to remove 1500 grit marks. It is similar to M105 in terms of the slippery feel.

So, in short...M105 should be (aside form a STRANGE anomaly) the heaviest hitter in the Meguiar`s lineup.

Post Thanks / Like
    M105 is way more agressive then anything mentioned on this thread when used correctly. Every once in a while it won`t work on a particular paint and seems to have zero cut, but 9 out of 10 times it is the king of compounds.

Presta Strada 1000 is very rough as well and works on all paints.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll throw my vote in for Presta and 3M extra cut Part #06060 (if you can find it anymore, as it has been discontinued) I haven`t used M105 yet so I cannot comment, but the reviews on the product speak for themselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd, being old-school - I like 95 much better than 105, I was wondering if 85 might work better in some cases - like when you are trying to do a one-step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Then there`s some old school, rocks in a bottle, 3M Super duty. i have it but no

use for it...

I only work on my own paint jobs and have found several compounds to be good.

Presta Ultra cutting Cream is good and easy to clean, 3M Perfect-it 3000 Extra Cut

is better than what it replaces and, now, i`m trying to get use to M105. Very short

working time and can`t seem to work a 2`x2` area (1`x`1` yes). I can extend the

time somewhat by adding a bit of UF or use it as a follow up after the Extra Cut.

M105 finishes very nice and makes the polishing stages easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    Todd, being old-school - I like 95 much better than 105, I was wondering if 85 might work better in some cases - like when you are trying to do a one-step.

M105 should be hands down the best bet if you are trying to reduce steps as it will provide the best finish. If the short work time isn`t for you, some try a quick spurt of water, others have tried a dab of Optimum Polish for extra work time with great results.

If you like old school than #95 and #84 are for you. #95 features non-diminishing micro-abrasives (Not as fine as M105, however) and #84 does NOT. But, both 95 and 84 offer more of a conventional heavier drag feel/texture where as #105 and #85 are slippery and "new school."

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboys SSR 3 is like liquid sand paper....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information