Post Thanks / Like

So, the sills look like the above and I wanto bring them back. Any suggestions? It seems like a rusty film that does not come off when wiped with a damp towel. There is also a clear bra in this area as well. :thx
    Not an ordinary teen

Post Thanks / Like
    xfire- Is the rusty film on top of the PPF?

My first thought is to try clay. If that didn`t work I`d probably use the "B" part of AutoInt`s decontamination system, claying while it dwells if need be.

More importantly IMO, where`s the rust *coming from*? *Something* needs attended to....derusted/repainted/rustproofed. It kinda looks like the bottom crimped-over/welded part of the door is rusting, and that`s not something you want to let go. Fix it sooner rather than later so it`s not a huge job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it`s on the Paint Protection Film and the paint. It looks like dirt but it is not coming off. I wish I asked this question earlier because the car needs to be done by tomorrow and the product you suggest will never get here by that time! Arggg!! Thanks for the help. I was defintely going for the clay bar as soon as I am done polishing.
    Not an ordinary teen

Post Thanks / Like
    It almost looks like the left front brake went bad and caused brake dust to rust all over? Is the rust on the outside rocker too? The picture shows the door jamp with rust particles all over the plastic rocker molding? If so, this plastic peice can`t be clayed cause I think it`s textured and not painted?. An ABC wash is almost mandatory for this kind of problem.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    ..The picture shows the door jamp with rust particles all over the plastic rocker molding? If so, this plastic peice can`t be clayed cause I think it`s textured and not painted?...

While you gotta be really careful claying plastics (marring, texture leveling, clay getting stuck in texture, scad of different potential worries), I`ve been able to successfully clay all sorts of plastic/textured surfaces that didn`t seem too clay-friendly. Proceed at your own risk though...

If you do get clay stuck in texture, a solvent will remove it. But if the clay damages the texture it`s forever, so this is a bit risky.

This is a good example of why it`s not a bad idea to keep some deconatamination chemicals around, never know when you`ll need `em and when you *do* need them anything else is a pretty iffy substitute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Meg`s clear plastic cleaner and polish did a decent job of removing the rust. I told the owner about the rust and he will look into it.
    Not an ordinary teen

Post Thanks / Like
    Not an ordinary teen

Post Thanks / Like
    In the future I will certainly look into the ABC line of automotive paint decontamination products. :thx
    Not an ordinary teen

Post Thanks / Like
    xfire- Glad it turned out so nice. Also glad that the source of the rust is the owner`s problem and not yours

Thread Information