Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiar`s New Engine Clean and Engine Dressing on Youtube.

It says "available only in international markets", but I haven`t seen it anywhere. Maybe US in 2009?

YouTube - Meguiar`s New Engine Clean and Engine Dressing

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know about hosing the engine down with a steady stream of water like that.

I like to mist the engine, and NEVER focus attention of streaming water onto just one part.

Post Thanks / Like
    They never mentioned the most important part of cleaning your engine. COVER the electrical stuff so it does not get wet. I was always told do wash the engine when it is cold as to help prevent and issues with cracking, breaking of parts.

I only used a steady stream of water once to clean an engine. It was on my old pathfinder that had 170K on it and I only did it to hide the oil leaks when I sold it.
    Working on becoming an Autopian Driveway Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by critical_level2
    They never mentioned the most important part of cleaning your engine. COVER the electrical stuff so it does not get wet. I was always told do wash the engine when it is cold as to help prevent and issues with cracking, breaking of parts.

Everything under the hood is designed to get wet, going down the highway at 60 mph in the rain is going to get everything pretty wet. Not to mention that environment under the hood is about as nasty as you can get with heat, cold, wet, dry and dirt. I agree with not using a high pressure stream of water, but to rinse like the video I doubt will hurt anything. I use a spray of water, enough to wash it down but not strong enough to force the water behind/inside things.

As for the engine temperature, I have heard dirt and grease will break down quicker on a warm engine versus cold. I do agree you don`t want the engine hot.

But, whatever works for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use an open stream of water on every engine I`ve ever done, and never covered a thing, without incident.

Ford F-150:

Honda CR-V

Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d love to inspect this engine compartment. To me, this product doesn`t seem any different than any other degreaser & water-based dressing? Interesting technique of using a huge brush to agitate the tops of the engine bay (only). Cleaning an engine compartment with the proper chemicals in conjustion with a pressure washer will create better results. No matter how much you scrub.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Modern day engines are designed to get wet. Now I don`t mean go ahead and dump water into your engine. But there designed to withstand blasts of water, which makes detailing easy. It is true that you SHOULD warm up your engine a bit before detailing.

Think of it like an oil change. You don`t want to change your oil with your engine cold, you want to change your oil when the engine has been warm. Same thing with engine detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I would ever want to buy the engine cleaner. I can use APC+ or super D for much cheaper Im sure.

That engine dressing may be good but hyper dressing is probably just as good. This stuff is probably geared towards the crowd of people that dont know about the detailing line of products, IE, the weekend warrior.

A slow steady stream of water is the best way to rinse off an engine. I usually use a nice spray pattern but low pressure.

Spraying a warm engine is just fine and is usually recommended. You DO NOT want to spray a HOT engine but I doubt it would actually crack something. Ive seen Jeep plunge their nose in a water hole with no issues at all.
    2004 Jeep liberty w/ stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I`d love to inspect this engine compartment. To me, this product doesn`t seem any different than any other degreaser & water-based dressing? Interesting technique of using a huge brush to agitate the tops of the engine bay (only). Cleaning an engine compartment with the proper chemicals in conjustion with a pressure washer will create better results. No matter how much you scrub.

Completely agree!
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by evenflow
    Modern day engines are designed to get wet. Now I don`t mean go ahead and dump water into your engine. But there designed to withstand blasts of water, which makes detailing easy. It is true that you SHOULD warm up your engine a bit before detailing.

Think of it like an oil change. You don`t want to change your oil with your engine cold, you want to change your oil when the engine has been warm. Same thing with engine detailing.

How are they "designed" to get wet? With all the electronics/sensors car companies are using on their vehicles now a days, you`re taking more of a risk washing engine compartments. The days of covering carbs & distributors were a no brainer.

Your also taking a risk washing a really warm/hot engine if it has alloy heads and/or block. I`ve seen and heard of cracking issues in extreme cases like driving through a flood. i.e. extreme temperature change is bad. Plus, it`s a pain in the butt washing a moter when the water and chemicals are steaming off of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    How are they "designed" to get wet?

I don`t think he means there are designed to purposely get wet. Instead I think he means they are designed to be OK if water does get splashed on them. For instance using a pressure washer to clean an engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    How are they "designed" to get wet? With all the electronics/sensors car companies are using on their vehicles now a days, you`re taking more of a risk washing engine compartments. The days of covering carbs & distributors were a no brainer.

Your also taking a risk washing a really warm/hot engine if it has alloy heads and/or block. I`ve seen and heard of cracking issues in extreme cases like driving through a flood. i.e. extreme temperature change is bad. Plus, it`s a pain in the butt washing a moter when the water and chemicals are steaming off of it.

Like I said, I don`t mean there designed for people to be saying "Oh hey, for fun lets go water down our engines!". I mean they were designed to get wet in the sense of protection. It ticked in somebodies head, well hey these modern cars have lots of sensor and electronics in them, lets cover them in plastic and tape up important parts. Thus, making for simple washing and allowing the engine to get wet. My car has plenty of electronics exposed, but they are covered in electrical tape as well as plastic. It`s not a big deal for them to get wet.

And as far as warmth goes, I normally don`t let my engine get hot. I run my car for about 10 minutes before washing my engine, just to heat it up and help loosen the gunk.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the video they did not use high pressure water. Go to a coin car wash and use there washer . Now thats pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Xenon control modules (especially on S-Class Mercedes - $1700 each) are very sensitive to any moisture. Still a major risk that I keep taking anyways .

If you have a vehicle under warranty and something happens from any kind of water damage you`re SOL.

Here`s a S-Class I inspected where they had someone wash their engine. When I spoke to the detailer about the loss, he mentioned not doing anything out of the normal. :nervous2:

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting the xenon ballasts on my after market lights are water proof/tight. I`d imagine that anything with the chance of being hit with water on a car if its electronic in nature would have to be some what sealed or water proof to a degree. Just my thought....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information