Post Thanks / Like
    I know that there are many different brands of polishes and strengths, but what is the polish that you go to first and why?

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably 3M PI-III MG 05937... or maybe PIII RC 05933 or 1z Paint Polish.

Guess it depends on what I think I`m dealing with: 05937 for minor stuff and/or softish paint and for testing an unfamiliar paint; 05933 for *real* marring; 1Z PP for something in-between those two.

Any of those three products will either solve the problem or give me enough insight to know what different product I need to use.

As for what I`d *recommend* as a single all around polish, it`s hands-down the 1Z Paint Polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

As for what I`d *recommend* as a single all around polish, it`s hands-down the 1Z Paint Polish.

Is Optimum Polish about the same abrasiveness as the 1Z PP? What`s the advantage of 1Z Paint Polish over Optimum Polish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Menzerna 106FA

Post Thanks / Like
    Would be great if you all would answer this by doing a review on your favorite polish:

Autopia Review: Paint Polish, Cleaners & Compounds

Don`t see your favorite polish? Tell me what it is and I will add it!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Prima Swirl. Granted I have not tried many products but you can use this with a PC and an orange LC pad finish with a white LC pad. For more power use a rotary and then finish off with a PC (I have not done this as I do not own a rotary yet)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sal329
    I like Prima Swirl. Granted I have not tried many products but you can use this with a PC and an orange LC pad finish with a white LC pad. For more power use a rotary and then finish off with a PC (I have not done this as I do not own a rotary yet)

I`m a fan of prima as they are local. I do like swirl for minor corrections but I always go over it with finish too. For my personal cars I like menz FPII

Post Thanks / Like
    SYSTEM ONE X3 if I had to choose one product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Note to Pima Marketing Dept.

Please change name to something like Pima Swirl Remover.

Danase got it right with Danase Swirl Abolisher.

More or less kidding - I`m sure it is a good product.

Post Thanks / Like
    DavidB- My ears burn a little every time you nudge us towards the Review section I just don`t always feel that I have the right sort of info at the tip of my tongue though...I can use a product for ages, know how/why to recommend its selection and use, but that`s very different from writing up a good product review :think:

Maybe some of my existing threads (e.g., the BHB and Gummi Stick comparisons, and the one about LC 3.5" PWF pads come to mind) could get moved to the Review section :nixweiss

Quote Originally Posted by DownSouth
    Is Optimum Polish about the same abrasiveness as the 1Z PP? What`s the advantage of 1Z Paint Polish over Optimum Polish?

The two are somewhat similar with regard to cut, and OCP is probably more versatile as it`s a "pad dependent" polish; it behaves quite differently depending on which pad it`s used with. I can easily understand why somebody might not only love OCP, but also consider it the best choice for an all-around polish *for people who understand how to work it and who will work it properly*.

It`s simply a personal preference, but I don`t like OCP. I prefer products with a shorter work time and a quicker breakdown. Not knocking the stuff, I just prefer other products. OCP isn`t, uhm....Accumulator-proof and plenty of other polishes are. Some, like 1Z PP, are even pretty much idiot-proof, which is a different thing If I have to struggle with a product and/or it doesn`t always give me what I want, I hesitate to recommend it.

When recommending a polish to a newbie (experienced detailers don`t need *my* advice about medium-strength polishes....the way I see it, if you gotta ask about this stuff, my answer is always 1Z), I`d rather recommend a product that`s a) as user-friendly as possible, b) basically foolproof, and c) better suited to somebody who might find the whole polishing thing to be more than they bargained for (1Z PP leaves wax behind so the actual LSPing can wait until next time if the user if tuckered out).

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll have to go with Meg`s #80... I`ve never been disappointed with it whether finishing down for a 1-step or starting with to remove some moderate swirls... can be used with pretty much any pad and get great results.
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

The two are somewhat similar with regard to cut, and OCP is probably more versatile as it`s a "pad dependent" polish; it behaves quite differently depending on which pad it`s used with. I can easily understand why somebody might not only love OCP, but also consider it the best choice for an all-around polish *for people who understand how to work it and who will work it properly*.

It`s simply a personal preference, but I don`t like OCP. I prefer products with a shorter work time and a quicker breakdown. Not knocking the stuff, I just prefer other products. OCP isn`t, uhm....Accumulator-proof and plenty of other polishes are. Some, like 1Z PP, are even pretty much idiot-proof, which is a different thing If I have to struggle with a product and/or it doesn`t always give me what I want, I hesitate to recommend it.

When recommending a polish to a newbie (experienced detailers don`t need *my* advice about medium-strength polishes....the way I see it, if you gotta ask about this stuff, my answer is always 1Z), I`d rather recommend a product that`s a) as user-friendly as possible, b) basically foolproof, and c) better suited to somebody who might find the whole polishing thing to be more than they bargained for (1Z PP leaves wax behind so the actual LSPing can wait until next time if the user if tuckered out).

Thanks for the thorough response. Excellent info. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d have to vote for Men. PO85RD .... It leaves a awesome finish ready for any LSP. So good you will not want to apply any LSP.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Optimum Polish on clear coated paint, Meguiars #80 for single stage. Ultrafina if the paint has mild defects and they are only paying for a single polishing step.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Rocket Polish

Thread Information