Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    well finally i am seriously considering buying Zymol Vintage. I have heard many great things about it and feel as thought it would help my business out considerably. After much research (me just thinking really hard :laugh i have come to the conclusion that the reason why i do not have all the high end business in my area is because people think i am a kid that would screw up there car and why would they pay a lot of money to someone who would do this. Aside from educating them (as i do) i feel i need a way of showing people that i am in this to give the best possible service to them. I feel that showing them an extremely high priced wax is something they would understand,telling them that there are 10 or less in this state is something they can say holy crap so there is a reason why hes charging me (insert a number that sounds very large)$ (my plan after january 1 of next year).

1. How many layers of zymol vintage is necessary for 1 year of durability? I can see myself putting on 3... does that sound right?

2. How long is it necessary to cure in between layers?

3. Would Royale be a better choice for me since im aiming for the "wow" factor? i could wait another year and keep saving.

4. i cant really think of another as its late but im sure it will come back to me.

Thanks guys!
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    Your never going to get 1 year durability out of ANY wax.......PERIOD

The more layers you add on to wax, the deeper and glossier the paint is going to appear. The most layers you can put on is usually 3-5 layers. After that, your just wasting your time........

By the time you are done with the first layer of wax, you should be good for your second layer. Unlike sealants which require bonding time, wax is fairly simple to layer on.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nK3y
    Your never going to get 1 year durability out of ANY wax.......PERIOD

Thanks.

That is interesting however i think dalton would disagree. He says you can get 1 year minimum and 3 years max with his pinnacle detail. Thats interesting. I asked him how he knew this... due to his wax not even being out a year... he didnt exactly give me a straight answer.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballlover1
    Thanks.

That is interesting however i think dalton would disagree. He says you can get 1 year minimum and 3 years max with his pinnacle detail. Thats interesting. I asked him how he knew this... due to his wax not even being out a year... he didnt exactly give me a straight answer.

With sealant, such as CG Jetseal 109, or Klasse HGS. You can get 6 months out of sealant. On top of wax, which usually lasts 2-3 months. I have used Poorboys Red Paste Wax, which seems to last pretty long (I haven`t had a chance to see how long it has lasted on my car) (I also want to compare it to Souveran, and the new WolfGang Fusion, to see if Paste wax that is $25 compares to ones that cost $85, and $150)

So your looking around 9, maybe 10 months of complete protection of any combo. But up to 3 years from just a wax, its just silly.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Got this info from a Vintage owner. He said you need to let it sit for 3- 4 hours, then level the wax with cold water or field glaze, THEN you can apply a second coat.

As for you buying Vintage and getting high end customers, I dont think it works like that. Just because you show them some extremely expensive pot of wax doesnt mean they will trust you any more, or your work will be any better. Hell, they might even think you`re stupid for buying such an expensive pot of wax. Perfect example is Todd, Im pretty sure he doesnt use anything like Vintage, he lets his work speak for itself, he doesnt go around showing off some expensive wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detail
    Got this info from a Vintage owner. He said you need to let it sit for 3- 4 hours, then level the wax with cold water or field glaze, THEN you can apply a second coat.

As for you buying Vintage and getting high end customers, I dont think it works like that. Just because you show them some extremely expensive pot of wax doesnt mean they will trust you any more, or your work will be any better. Hell, they might even think you`re stupid for buying such an expensive pot of wax.

Very true. Most people who don`t really care for their cars, don`t know what different waxes do. They don`t know what carnauba levels to to affect depth and gloss. And they think that Meguiars OTC wax is supreme of all.........

A good example is talking to mom about the products I used on her car. When she heard that my wax was $25 (which isn`t expensive that we all know) she was surprised it was that much. After telling her some other prices, like Souveran, she said that is just a waste of money.

Not many people appreciate the type of research and time we put into detailing cars.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detail

what did the owner say about durability? Is it possible to get 1 year out of vintage by layering it?
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    what did the owner say about durability? Is it possible to get 1 year out of vintage by layering it?
    highly doubtful. I`d say you could get 1 year protection if the car is garaged. You figure Paul says 1 year, but look at the cars he does and how much miles most have.

Post Thanks / Like
    I HIGHLY doubt, u`ll get many extra customers for offering such a high end wax. I also doubt u`ll be able to charge significantly more for a coat of a high end wax. I doubt that the wax would ever pay for itself.

90% of the shine in my opinion is from the surface preparation. A decent glaze adds as much wetness to the paint as any wax in my opinion. All the high end wax`s require their "cleaner fluid" to not only clean the paint but add the wetness of a glaze.

I`d just keep doing what you are doing. There are other ways to move from the kid image. A professional leather binded book showcasing your work would be the first step. This will definitely impress customers and allow them to see other high end cars, excellent before and after pictures showing swirl removal is a must. The customer will instantly trust you with their car if they see cars worth twice as much as theirs being restored.

Get a T shirt made with your company name on it. Nothing says your serious then your own T shirt. Have business cards if you dont already have it, and pampflets made so you can pull one out when you discuss prices with customers. They can take these with them and call you back at a later date.

You cannot get more professional than that for a mobile detailer. That will get you more work than by offering a high end wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with TTWAGN. Your demeanor and your commitment to your company are going to go much further than a can of wax that anyone can buy.

Showing that you are serious about your work, and being able to show examples of that are more important to me as a customer. I couldn`t care less how old you are.

For example, I just recently hired a mobile guy to work on my black Impala. Two kids, (early 20s), show up. I admit my first reaction was not great. However, they went over their process with me step by step, their tools and products were clean and organized, and it was obvious that they were taking this seriously.

They showed up when they said they would, were honest about what they could accomplish, and when they needed to cme back a second day they again showed up as scheduled, and called before they arrived to confirm.

The job was done as promised, the charges were in line with what they quoted, and they got a 100 dollar tip for not screwing with me. Even my wife was impressed, (no easy feat!)

You run your business like that, and you`ll have more recommendations than you know what to do with, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Vintage looks great. I haven`t seen it go more then 6 weeks on a driven car through. Moe from Califorina says you CAN get 6 months if you apply Field Glaze regularly, but then again I can make Zaino get 10 years if I use Z8 after every wash (provided I wash it atleast every two weeks).

That`s awesome Dainel that you asked Paul how he can get 3 years if it hasn`t even been out for 6 months...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nK3y
    Very true. Most people who don`t really care for their cars, don`t know what different waxes do. They don`t know what carnauba levels to to affect depth and gloss. And they think that Meguiars OTC wax is supreme of all.........

A good example is talking to mom about the products I used on her car. When she heard that my wax was $25 (which isn`t expensive that we all know) she was surprised it was that much. After telling her some other prices, like Souveran, she said that is just a waste of money.

Not many people appreciate the type of research and time we put into detailing cars.......

Carnuaba content doesn`t really add or subract from the gloss of the paint. It is the oils added or blended with the wax that give it the look. Carnauba wax is opaque, like the medicine pills (medical grade carnaubab wax which is very high quality) or gummy bears.

Infact the whole carnuaba content is kind of a myth anyways. 60 percent volume is roughly 20 percent by weight (considering that carnauba flakes are about 1/3 less dense then the solvents used to cut them). Zymol (and Swissvax) take the cheapest indgredient (the wax) and market it. Genious.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you just need *new* marketing tactics and not an overpriced wax. If you can get your hands on that one high end job, even if it means working for free, you can use your work as an example of the quality you put out.

Like PB said, if you represent yourself as a knowledgeable and serious business owner, I don`t think your age will have an impact, beyond the initial impression.
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH0001
    I think Vintage looks great. I haven`t seen it go more then 6 weeks on a driven car through.

Not going to get into the whole marketing and pricey wax thing, but I agree with Todd on this point. Best I`ve seen from Vintage is about 9 weeks on a garaged car, 6-7 weeks on a driven one.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TTWAGN
    I HIGHLY doubt, u`ll get many extra customers for offering such a high end wax.

If you buy it they will come.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information