Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ONR & Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read a bunch of threads and watched a couple of vids on it but I`m wondering how you deal with wheels / tires using it?

My sole use would be for car cleanup if it rains on the way to a car show etc. and the dirtiest part is going to be the wheels/tires.

Wouldn`t drying the wheels / tires really mess up the M/F drying towels?
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use terry cloth to dry the tires, and I have dedicated microfibers for the wheels. Other than that, I wash wheels / tires the same way I would if I were using soap.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep - they will stain which is why you use dedicated towels for wheels/tires. I like the Mainstays MF WW kitchen towels for this - walmart 2 pack for under $3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. Why are you worried about washing your tires with ONR?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the disposable blue "SHOP TOWELS." They are extra thick and do not tear when wiping. $2.39a roll
    "...whoever CLEANSES himself from the unclean... be a vessel for honorable and noble purposes…” (II Timothy 2:21). :clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a soft wheel brush for my tires and dry with a terry cloth.

For the wheels I use a piece of the Lowes GS to clean the wheels and I dry with a Wal-mart brand MF.
    Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Post Thanks / Like
    I myself first spray my wheels with a dilute APC and my tires with FS APC. Then I dip one terry cloth towel into my ONR bucket and wipe the tire down good and then use another terry cloth towel and dip that one too and wipe the tire again. After I get done with the tire I do the wheel with a microfiber mitt. And last dry the tire with a terry cloth and wheel part with microfiber towel.
    Just trying to keep my family`s cars clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux
    Yep. Why are you worried about washing your tires with ONR?

I`m not. ....
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    For some reason, when I wash my wheels/tires with ONR (and then treat the wheels with something like FK425), it`s harder to clean them up (using conventional methods) the next time :nixweiss It`s like the ONR makes [stuff] harder to get off even though the FK425/etc. oughta mitigate any such possiblility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    For some reason, when I wash my wheels/tires with ONR (and then treat the wheels with something like FK425), it`s harder to clean them up (using conventional methods) the next time :nixweiss It`s like the ONR makes [stuff] harder to get off even though the FK425/etc. oughta mitigate any such possiblility.
    I`d venture a guess that the lubes/surfactants in ONR prevent a good bond for the FK425...and (as most of us ONR fans would likely agree) the shine/protection of ONR doesn`t last very long...

Just thinking out loud, but ..... In the end, if you`re gonna apply dressings, maybe another cleaning method is more appropriate for wheels/tires to ensure good product bonding?

Post Thanks / Like
    Whenever I clean my wheels with ONR or QEW, I spray some Aquawax on right before drying the wheels off. This always works well for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    Whenever I clean my wheels with ONR or QEW, I spray some Aquawax on right before drying the wheels off. This always works well for me.

Isn`t the idea of ONR that there isn`t water availalble thus the bucket of ONR mix .. So how do you wet the wheels?.. Your saying wet the wheels then spray AW on the dirty wet wheels and dry them?
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    No...

I dip my wash media (for wheels I have a few brushes and sponges I use for the wash media) into the bucket of ONR/water. I then wash the wheel with the wet media. After I have washed the whell to my satisfaction, it is still wet from the ONR/water mixture. While it is still wet, I give it a spray or 2 of AquaWax, then dry it with my dedicated wheel microfiber towel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a pressure sprayer with ONR mix. Spray and wipe with dedicated towels. Repeat if needed. Treat with FK425, OID, Quickshine ... Wash towels seperate from car detailing towels.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior

sometimes i use onr or dg 521. both work well on cool temp wheels. also use dedicated towels for wheels only. for stubborn stains dg501 is awesome and leaves a terrific shine (at least on clearcoated wheels).

i clean my wheels so often i`ve never had to use a strong wheel cleaner. just spray and wipe, then dry off with clean mf.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information