Thread: SFX-3 problem

Post Thanks / Like
    I helped a friend detail her black 2007 Honda CRV this weekend. It was in rather poor shape from 14 months of neglect but we got it back to looking quite good. She said it looks better than when she took delivery of it new. Now she just needs to get all of the parking lot dings taken out.

Anyway, the problem was with SFX-3. I showed her how to use the PC and set her buffing. She started with SFX-2 on the hood and got the swirls out, but it looked a bit dull. So I started her with a new pad and SFX-3. It took the dullness out but it was almost impossible to remove the residue. I was working on a different part of the car while she was using the SFX-3 so I don`t know how much was on the pad but we literally had to SCRUB the hood with microfiber cloths to get the residue off.

I finally went over it again with Z-AIO to make sure all of the SFX-3 was off.

FWIW, the bottle of SFX-3 is almost 4 years old but it`s stored in a closet in my house - never in the garage - so it`s not subject to wide temperature swings.

Any idea what would have made it so hard to get off? At this point I`m about ready to just toss the rest of the bottle in the trash!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the polish is a little old or your friend used too much... SFX-3 comes off very, very easy for me. Did you try an IPA wipe down to remove the stubbon polish?
    2007 Acura TL WDP

2003 Acura MDX MBP

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I didn`t think about the IPA. We just scrubbed and mumbled multiple bad words under our breaths to get the residue off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which kind of SFX-3 do you have? It is white or blue? I have the white stuff (which is the older version as far as I know, and came in the bigger bottles). It`s not easy to remove at all, which is why I think they re-formulated it. Because my friend has the newer version and it`s so much easier to remove. I`d buy the newer version myself... but it comes in a smaller bottle at the same damn price!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the white product which is always hard to remove. This was just much worse than usual.

Thread Information