Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, another ONR thread. Just what we need... sorry.

A few weeks ago, I posted that I had some problems with ONR marring. I`ve been hesitant to really talk too much about it for a couple reasons. So many people love ONR, I hate to post anything negative about it for fear of flame wars, and also because so many people use it successfully it makes me feel stupid for having problems with it. But the truth is, it`s been more of a problem than I`ve let on. It`s really been marring the crap out of both of my vehicles. Well, that`s kinda subjective, really... very light swirls is "marring the crap out of it" to me. To others, they`d probably never notice it.

Anyway, I`ve tried using ONR in every way I could think of. I still would get some marring. So this spring, I`ve done it a bit different.

I`ve been on a quest for the perfect touchless wash. But no matter how good my touchless process is, I would still end up mixing up a batch of ONR for the black decals on my car, the wheels, door jambs, and interior. ONR is a fantastic interior cleaner.

So now what I`ve been doing is a complete touchless wash, finished with a spot free rinse from my DI cartridges, then drying with a leaf blower. Then I put two gallons of DI (or distilled) water in a bucket, mix up a batch of ONR, then wash the entire car again with ONR, then do the decals, interior, jambs, wheels.

Since the car is really close to dirt free before the ONR touches it, the ONR has been (so far at least) capable of cleaning up what`s left from the touchless with *zero* marring. I still feel like an idiot for not being able to use ONR the way it`s supposed to be used without marring, but at least this process works and is completely mar free.

Using DI`d or distilled water makes ONR finish off sooo well. The shine it leaves makes a follow up QD unnecessary.

I`m on my last gallon of ONR. It`s from a batch that`s old enough to not have any fragrance in it. I`ve finally gotten to the point where I like the scent of it. I hear that ONR now has a fragrance added to it. What does the new ONR smell like, anyway?
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    What does the new ONR smell like, anyway?

I think the newer version smells terrible. Especially at full strength as it is quite strong. Subjective, yes but thats the way I see/smell it. I guess I`d describe it as a floral scent. I definitely preferred the original.

Post Thanks / Like
    well what kind of wash media are you using?

And i think that it smells kindof bad... kinda like alcohol in my opinion
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried every wash media I can get my hands on, Daniel. You name it, I`ve tried it.. except a sea sponge. I was also pre-spraying each panel with QD strength ONR out of a garden sprayer. I guess there`s just something in the dirt here that is extremely abrasive.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Floral scent.. great... just what you want the interior of a muscle car to smell like. A pretty bouqet of flowers. Fabulous.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried every wash media I can get my hands on, Daniel. You name it, I`ve tried it.. except a sea sponge. I was also pre-spraying each panel with QD strength ONR out of a garden sprayer. I guess there`s just something in the dirt here that is extremely abrasive.

I have found that a sheepskin mit works very well.

Could it be you are using ONR that is too old?
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballlover1
    I have found that a sheepskin mit works very well.

Could it be you are using ONR that is too old?

Hey, now that is a thought... I started using it last summer sometime... I bought three gallons all at once. Never saw any marring from it until about January or so.

That might be it! Guess I better order a new gallon to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ONR`d the MINI today with as expected great results. Method was ONR (QD) strength prior to actual wiping. I use soft warm water from kitchen sink for ONR wash and rinse bucket also. I use the target MF covered sponge/chenille and works fine for me.

SuperBee, maybe your standards in locating micromarring/swirls are TOO good!
    I Don`t Know Karate.....But I Know KRAAZZY!!

Post Thanks / Like
    crap I just onr-ed the poop out of my 08 gti today before my buddies bday party. My car had two weeks of grime on it from being parked outside. My car is so waterspotted right now it still looks/feels dirty.

Sigh.

I used a detailers choice sponge like scottwax mentions in his onr thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, now that is a thought... I started using it last summer sometime... I bought three gallons all at once. Never saw any marring from it until about January or so.

That might be it! Guess I better order a new gallon to be sure.

Man im good :chuckle: haha. Now i feel smart ... thats a first haha.

I hope i helped!

,Daniel
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    ............So now what I`ve been doing is a complete touchless wash, finished with a spot free rinse from my DI cartridges, then drying with a leaf blower. Then I put two gallons of DI (or distilled) water in a bucket, mix up a batch of ONR, then wash the entire car again with ONR, then do the decals, interior, jambs, wheels.............
    OK Supe, if you`ve already washed the car and rinsed it with your DI water, why do you dry it with a leaf blower before doing the ONR wash?

If your ONR is from last summer I don`t think it would be bad...... I`m using some that`s at least 6 months older than that.

When I use ONR I use a Florida wool sea sponge. Some people love `em and some hate `em, but once they are rinsed out properly they are very soft and clean up afterwards better than anything else I`ve used.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    OK Supe, if you`ve already washed the car and rinsed it with your DI water, why do you dry it with a leaf blower before doing the ONR wash?

If your ONR is from last summer I don`t think it would be bad...... I`m using some that`s at least 6 months older than that.

When I use ONR I use a Florida wool sea sponge. Some people love `em and some hate `em, but once they are rinsed out properly they are very soft and clean up afterwards better than anything else I`ve used.

So that nothing is diluting the ONR. After drying it with the leaf blower, I apply QD strength ONR out of my garden sprayer to each panel before using a Eurow MF soaked in ONR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux
    crap I just onr-ed the poop out of my 08 gti today before my buddies bday party. My car had two weeks of grime on it from being parked outside. My car is so waterspotted right now it still looks/feels dirty.

Sigh.

I used a detailers choice sponge like scottwax mentions in his onr thread.

Other than the spots, how`d it turn out? Any marring?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saleenman607
    Just ONR`d the MINI today with as expected great results. Method was ONR (QD) strength prior to actual wiping. I use soft warm water from kitchen sink for ONR wash and rinse bucket also. I use the target MF covered sponge/chenille and works fine for me.

SuperBee, maybe your standards in locating micromarring/swirls are TOO good!

Thanks! I do get the odd look from the neighbors when I`m outside looking at my car from all angles at about three inches from the paint...I wonder why they always go back inside??

Post Thanks / Like
    Other than the spots, how`d it turn out? Any marring?

The car is white so its hard a to tell without really scrutinizing. I didnt have the time to go over it with a fine toothed comb. Being that it is my first time with onr I wouldn`t doubt there is some marring.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information