Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like
    This is how I have been washing since I last summer.

1) PW/foam cannon all grit from truck; foam first-then rinse. I also get as much bug jerky off, too.

2) Pull into garage(or workshop) without drying.

3) Wash with ONR at normal wash strength (3 gallons) in one bucket. One grout sponge and one MF soaked in wash solution.

-First pass with GS over panel, flip sponge and rinse often

-Second pass with MF sopping wet

-Third pass with wash MF wrung out

-Fourth pass with clean, dry MF spritzed with AW to remove any streaks and to add shine and slickness.

I will usually do 1/2 of the truck at time/per pass and the final is all at once.

4) Using an older (stained up) MF I start at the doorjambs and finish with the wheels and wells.

5) Apply dressings if needed

6) Stare at truck until forced back into house

Using this method I haven`t had any wash/dry marring. I live on a dusty gravel road, and after 5 min sitting outside the truck will be covered in grit. Also I have NO shade to wash, I get very bad spotting in the hot months without ONR.

It takes 1 hour or less to do my full sized f-150. The CR-V is about 45min. I don`t rush the job as I enjoy it.
    :woohoo:

Post Thanks / Like
    well, its been raiing the last 2 days solid, and the forecast says another 3 so when I saw a brief window this evening when it started to dry, i couldnt resist

Mixed 2oz of ONR into 2 gallons of warm water, and added a rinse bucket with GG, to be a bit safer. Car had some rain on it, but wasnt soaked by any stretch. Grabbed 4 Eurow MF towels and 2 huge CG Miracle Dryers, folded into quarters... nervously set out to wash or sandpaper my newly polished pride and joy :nervous2:

The results were pretty positive, but it began raining as I finished so a mist of rain was left at the end of the session, making it hard to look for marring. Tried with the Brinkman and didnt spot anything, so will have to check in the morning...

Pro`s

• the process felt very comfortable - 1 panel at a time, wipe, dry etc
    • ONR cleans well - the dry towel was clean despite the car having a good layer of road grime on it at the start
    • really liked the wash and immediate dry process and I think it will save me lots of water spots
    • obviously saved loads of time and water over my standard foam, rinse, wash, rinse, sheet process
    • the rinse bucket turned pale blue from ONR transfer but also accumulated a fair bit of grime, so was doing its job

Con`s

• the car had dirt on it when I started that I know would have been removed by my foam & rinse :nervous2:
    • 2 gallons wasnt enough for the car despite it being a convertible - the rinse bucket clearly drains water from the wash bucket
    • more dirt & particles were pulled across the paint than would normally have been

Thoughts/Questions...

• wondering if I should spray QD after the initial drying pass, to lube and shine on the final drying pass?
    • need 3 gallons if I`m going to keep using the 2BM
    • the nap of the Eurow seemed to compress in water, so I think I`m going to try the lambswool mitt next time and maybe keep the towel for shuts etc?

Conclusion

Overall it went well, but I reserve judgment on marring/swirling for now. Car was certainly clean, and it took a LOT less time and effort without anything like as much water :2thumbs: Ran out of wash solution so either need 3 gallons or no rinse bucket to reduce the transfer into the other bucket - think it will depend on how dirty the car is until I get more confident My process needs refining to add a pre-spray and try other wash media and I have yet to do door shuts and wheels, but for now I am VERY impressed :clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear, Bigpikle!
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t noticed any marring from ONR. However, if the car is real dirty, I won`t use it.

I washed my wifes SUV today, and went with a traditional wash, because it was a real mess from the Thunderstorms we had recently.

BTW, I used FK1`s 1016 and really liked it quite a bit!

Post Thanks / Like
    If the car is dirtier than normal or since this is the pollen season here in western NY, I will go over the same spot more than once, rinsing out my wash media in between and frequently. Scottwax`s video shows him going over the panel more than once as well which just reaffirms my method as being low-to-no marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have barely, if not no marring since using ONR in Feb. If it rains and the car is very dirty, I stick to a regular carwash. I pretty much use ONR every other wash. Since I`ve been on vacation since lastweek I washe my car almost everyday with ONR. No paint defects that I noticed.

Also I don`t really presoak except for the front bumper where all the dead bugs stick.
    Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information