Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Floral scent.. great... just what you want the interior of a muscle car to smell like. A pretty bouqet of flowers. Fabulous.

It doesn`t hang around. More of a citrus/pine sent to me.

I believe the formula was slightly modified as well. I was sent a few samples around the time the scent and color change was done and was told there were more polymers in the test versions. What exactly might have been changed, I don`t know but the scented version seems to be more lubricious than the original version.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s really good to know, thanks Scott! The version I have doesn`t feel *at all* slippery. It`s not just an age thing, it never did feel slippery even when it was new.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the scent of ONR, but I don`t seem to feel the lubricating properties that is described when I use it. And the polymers in it must stick to my wash media because they feel grabby after using ONR instead of gliding across the paint. Experienced this with a grout sponge and a sheep skin wash mitt. Never happened with QEW. Am I suppose to put quick detailer into the mix like QEW?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pre-rinse with pressure washer. I try to keep the pressure down because blasting the dirt across your paint is never good. But this tends to get most of the dirt off of the paint.

Mix batch up of the ONR with recomended strength on the dilution.

Use my best sheepskin mit that has been granted this job as it`s only job.

Try to use as much product/water that the mit will hold. I just don`t think this is the time to conserve. The more the better when actually touching the paint. Also, it is amazing how far two gallons will go.

Then the hard paint. Drying the car. Honestly, this is where I have the hardest time trying not to mare the paint. I have tried just about every drying towel out there and have found under the right circumstance even the highest priced MF`s can create marring on soft paint. With ONR, I try to blow the car off as well as I can. Then I break out the waffle weave MF followed by a super soft MF to clean up any water streaks.

Finally I stand back and admire the freshly washed vehicle. Folllowed by my traditional comment spoken outloud to no one other than the detail gods, "I just love this stuff!!""

Honestly, I can`t say enough about ONR. Taking care of one car collection entails many, many washings. Once the car pulls up the driveway, I try to give it a nice fresh manicure. To be able to fill up just two buckets and grab a couple of towels and be ready to go is nothing short of awesome. If a car has only been on a short drive I don`t even have to grab the PW.

Bee, the only thing I can think of to help you is to maybe recomend buying the new version (which I think is quite pleasant and always makes the water look like pool water). Also you might try really splashing an excessive amount on the car when you are actually wiping it clean.

I am sure you know how to dry a car properly so I am not going to insult you with the suggestions on how to.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont mind the scent of ONR at all.

I certainly get some marring over the course of time, but not enough where I would stop using it. I sorta expect it. ONR is a double edged sword.

What would happen in this situation if you replaced ONR with CG ONE, or PB waterless wash? It would be interesting to note.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by accordmaniac
    I like the scent of ONR, but I don`t seem to feel the lubricating properties that is described when I use it.

I can clay with ONR at wash level dillution.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fergnation
    Pre-rinse with pressure washer. I try to keep the pressure down because blasting the dirt across your paint is never good. But this tends to get most of the dirt off of the paint.

Isn`t the whole point with ONR though is that you don`t have access to a lot of water? If I had a pressure washer I would just use regular car wash.

Also, how do you get a mitt/sponge/cloth to release the dirt. It just seems to stick to the wash media when I use ONR. I love it as a quick detailer though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXTASY
    I dont mind the scent of ONR at all.

I certainly get some marring over the course of time, but not enough where I would stop using it. I sorta expect it. ONR is a double edged sword.

What would happen in this situation if you replaced ONR with CG ONE, or PB waterless wash? It would be interesting to note.

I`ve gone through one of two gallons of CG ONE. At first, I thought it was pretty good stuff. After using a gallon of it.... not so much. The marring from ONE is pretty bad. I think the problem comes from the fact that the product dries into a waxy haze. If you haven`t gotten *all* the stuff off of your paint in the initial MF wipe before it hazes, it`s going to cause marring when you have to dry buff off the wax haze. It also has kaolin clay in it, which of course hides defects. It was hiding them well enough that I didn`t see the marring I was getting from using it until it was time to strip off the old wax.

ONE is a mediocre product, at best. Especially considering the price.

Haven`t ever tried the PB product, though.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    hrm. Reading this thread makes me wonder if I should have used a rinse bucket too. I`ll have to keep that in mind for my next adventure with ONR washing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also keep in mind that the majority of people are able to use it without issue, Fluxy. I`m just one of the lucky ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    So now what I`ve been doing is a complete touchless wash, finished with a spot free rinse from my DI cartridges, then drying with a leaf blower. Then I put two gallons of DI (or distilled) water in a bucket, mix up a batch of ONR, then wash the entire car again with ONR, then do the decals, interior, jambs, wheels.

Geez SB. Wouldn`t it just be easier to do a conventional wash? That seems like a lot of work. One of the advantages of ONR is to save time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blk45
    Geez SB. Wouldn`t it just be easier to do a conventional wash? That seems like a lot of work. One of the advantages of ONR is to save time.

I dunno. I think the total amount of time it takes to do the touchless then ONR wash is about the same as a regular conventional wash. It`s not really as hard as it sounds... pressure wash, foam cannon, pressure wash with the DI water, blow dry, ONR. I`m sure I could skip the blow dry part. I`ve been doing it so that the water on the car doesn`t diulte the ONR, and also to see how clean the car gets from the touchless. It`s pretty much the exact same steps as a conventional wash, they`re just out of their usual order.

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting thread as I sit here with a sample of ONR to use for the very first time once it finally stops raining

I have a superb foam that actually cleans amazingly well, so would make the ideal pre-wash for any wash process, but one BIG issue for me is the hard water and resulting water spotting, given my driveway gets full sun all day...

My plan was going to be:

1. pre-spray QD strength mix via pressure spray 1 panel ahead of where I am working

2. 2BM wash - feel like I want to keep the rinse bucket - with either sheepskin mitt or Eurow towel

3. blow dry area with leaf blower

4. dab remaining water spotting with Miracle Dryer MF towel

REALLY hoping for minimal marring, although my silver car makes it near impossible to see anyway, but the others show it badly....

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a day late and a dollar short, but here`s my $.02.

I`m using ONR that`s about two years old now and it still works just fine - sure the color went from blue to tanish long ago, but the properties still seem fine and it works just fine. Lubes and surfactants have a very long shelf life...I don`t think that`s the problem.

I also use a QD strength spray on, sponge off with rinse and wipe dry, so the method should be fine? Unless you`re sponging/wiping off is too hard, you should be good...I use the sponge sortof like a squegee to lift dirt off the surface (rather than grind it in) and rinse frequently. Perhapas you don`t rinse enough or should be switching to clean sooner.

I never see any marring and franking, considering the direction and motion of the washing, there`s no way it could cause swirls.

Are you sure the problem is with the ONR and not some other process?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by accordmaniac
    Isn`t the whole point with ONR though is that you don`t have access to a lot of water? If I had a pressure washer I would just use regular car wash.

Also, how do you get a mitt/sponge/cloth to release the dirt. It just seems to stick to the wash media when I use ONR. I love it as a quick detailer though.

1. Even with access to DI/RO water and a pressure washer (like one of my customers had at his old office), I absolutely hated using it because ONR is so much quicker for me. Plus, ONR cleans just as well for me and since there are no suds in the way when I am washing, I don`t miss anything.

2. The dirt gets completely released when you put the pad/towels in the washer. I don`t worry about it when washing cars because it doesn`t have any effect on how well ONR works.
    www.scottwax.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information