Post Thanks / Like
    :aww: Well Ive had to compromise with the old lady and moved into our ranch home which is off a dirt road. My car is an extreme dust magnet know!! Ive been using the megs FI QD for some time know and seems that its really attracting the dust know even before getting out on the main road.

Ive tried FK1 anti static QD in the past and had a bit left so i wiped it down with that the other day and Im almost positive I collected more dust than before!! I came home that day and wiped her down with poorboys spray/wipe and she looked great for a couple days and just sitting in the garage even it collected so much dust im not sure if the car is static charged or whats going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated im sure some of you have to live on dirt roads??

Ive read a few threads on the QD`s here and see that quick shine may be what i need?? Ive noticed on my truck that I have megs 21 on and i wipe it down with poorboys spray/wipe and the dust takes about a week to start sticking so Im not sure whats up with my car!

My car is an 08 Jet black E92 I know it has the softest paint in the world and I hate wiping it down every day in fear of scratches etc! So im forced to either let it sit or do a complete wash job on her and that takes forever especially when i just got done detailing a suburban or a damb minivan all day!! Any advice and your experience with the product would help greatly!
    :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry there is no such think as a dust repellant QD

425 is anti static and ATTRACTS less dust

you best bet is a nice coat of nuba that you car hose off easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28

well In my experiences like i noted above the 425 actually attracted MORE DUST!!:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone????

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ADHD
    anyone????
    Buy a cover

Post Thanks / Like
    Some will recommend a sealant instead of a wax, but if you want to use a wax, the 425 (that you used) is about as good as it gets. I noticed a drastic reduction of dust accumulation on my black E65. I have no idea why you would see more dust with it. Also, just an FYI, you do build up a charge on the surface of the paint by rubbing MFs across it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitly be interested in a product that effectively repelled dust!!

Optimum Instant Detailer advertises it`s ability to resist dust --> "Flouropolymers give Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer its repellency to dirt, dust, oil, and grime"

Clearkote Quik Shine also does --> "Anti-static properties repels dust"

Question is, do any of these, or other, products actually work to repel/resist/limit dust???

Where I live, it only takes 20-30min of the car sitting idle for that first fine layer of dust/dirt or environmental contaminents to settle on the car. It`s rediculously annoying!! I can slave away detailing for hours just to have a nice coat of dust on it in record time (many times by the time i finish detailing one end of the car the opposite end already has that layer of dust on it). Even covering the car isn`t worth while as the second it`s exposed the dust begins to accumulate and a car cover will just act like sand paper with contaminates under it.

Post Thanks / Like
    DG FCS claims that: "The anti-static formula retards future dust attraction."

*Subjectively* OID seems to have a slight edge. But, neither has kept my paint surfaces dust free.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Jim has the right idea. I`ve been using 425 for a couple weeks now, and have been very impressed in the reduction of the dust magnet effect in my nuba LSP. Dust happens, there`s no way around that totally, but using 425 really helps alot. Plus using a nuba based LSP makes it alot easier to get the dust off with just a quick hosing. Use the open hose "dry it with a hose" method of sheeting the water off (doesn`t work well with sealants), and you have a quick, painless way of getting the dust off without ever even having to touch the paint.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    To the newbies; if you want a magic force field which can be activated to repel dust you should look elsewhere. Such thing doesn`t exist.

An anti-static QD, such as 425 can stop DUST ATTRACTION (aka static charge), which can be a byproduct of wiping the surface with synthetic microfiber materials. If you want to avoid this, ground the car while wiping it down.

Anti-static chemicals will lessen the amount of attracted dust on the surface, especially on vertical ones. They are unable to control the SETTLING DUST (gravity). If you think that there is a wonderstuff which can bounce the dust particles off of a horizontal surface... well... rethink or re-educate yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    When my two vehicles topped w/ DG 105 get dusty I just use the Gilmour soap/foam sprayer, a rinse, blow dry w/ leaf blower and gentle blotting of residual water using a ww mf towel. Takes all of 15 mins. or so.
    [quote name=`ptaylor_9849`] Black is not a color, it`s a part time job. Patrick[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    To the newbies; if you want a magic force field which can be activated to repel dust you should look elsewhere. Such thing doesn`t exist.

An anti-static QD, such as 425 can stop DUST ATTRACTION (aka static charge), which can be a byproduct of wiping the surface with synthetic microfiber materials. If you want to avoid this, ground the car while wiping it down.

Anti-static chemicals will lessen the amount of attracted dust on the surface, especially on vertical ones. They are unable to control the SETTLING DUST (gravity). If you think that there is a wonderstuff which can bounce the dust particles off of a horizontal surface... well... rethink or re-educate yourself.

Obviously Jim and Bence are 100% correct.

I think the phrase "it repels dust" should stop being used, as it clearly is not accurate. The best you can hope for is to make the surface as slick as possible and anti-static, so does does not easily stick to it, or otherwise attract it.

And there is no way that using FK 425 will make the paint attract more dust.

Thread Information