Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    It was really humid but cool and i had all kinds of problems today. It kept caking up the pad and spitting off in balls of polish. I changed the pad twice and brushed the pad after each pass and nothing worked then i tried mixxing some optimum AIO thought that might help but nothing. It just wouldnt flash and i had trouble getting it off the paint even with the IPA wipe down. It was the only polishes i had with me so i stuggled all day long. Ive had it be tempermental before but nothing like this,,has anyone had any luck mixxing something in when this happens? I need to find another polish pair to use when something like this happens any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, that`s frustrating when those two start acting up. They`re my favorite polishes, but they can be so aggravating.

When SIP starts acting up, I:

1. Add some 106ff to it

2. Do a thorough IPA wipedown

3. Spread it out very evenly. About 500 RPM or so for at least three passes. If it`s not *completely* even, it`ll make your life hard.

When 106 acts up (which doesn`t seem to be very often, thank heavens):

1. Do the same things as above, except the adding polish, of course.

Most of the time when 106 acts up, it means that the clear on the car is just too soft to use 106 on. Changing to a very soft finishing pad will sometimes help, too.

There`s only been a couple times where doing the above things still wasn`t enough to be able to use them. Worth trying, anyway.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much the same answer as SupeBee but I`ve also had good luck putting a few drops of Ultrafina on the pad along with SIP.

It`s a great polish but it can definitely drive you crazy at times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try IP.

For some reason which ever lsp was used on the car previous does not agree with SIP in damp conditions. I`ve used SIP on cars when it was raining, cold, damp, humid with no issues, but every now and then will get a car that it will act up on. The lubes in it will not allow it to break down certain old lsp`s which have high silicone contents in it.

I did do a test on a beater car. I polished the hood with SIP and it worked perfect with no issues at all. I took it to a spray wash place and power washed it and used the spray wax only on the hood. The next day which was nice, I used SIP on the hood and it skipped, spit and swore at me. It would not break through the barrier of the cheap spray wax from the car wash. This test has showed me 100% proof that it does not play well with silicones.

They need to put a warning at car washes in what harm that stuff can do.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rydawg
    Try IP.

For some reason which ever lsp was used on the car previous does not agree with SIP in damp conditions. I`ve used SIP on cars when it was raining, cold, damp, humid with no issues, but every now and then will get a car that it will act up on. The lubes in it will not allow it to break down certain old lsp`s which have high silicone contents in it.

I agree completely with this.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Try IP.

I did do a test on a beater car. I polished the hood with SIP and it worked perfect with no issues at all. I took it to a spray wash place and power washed it and used the spray wax only on the hood. The next day which was nice, I used SIP on the hood and it skipped, spit and swore at me. It would not break through the barrier of the cheap spray wax from the car wash. This test has showed me 100% proof that it does not play well with silicones.

They need to put a warning at car washes in what harm that stuff can do.
    Would a cleaner help before polishing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Spraying your pad with a QD or a Pad Conditioner really helps with these kinds of problems. I have been using Danase`s Pad Conditioner and it has worked great for me with all Menzerna products.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s the LSP previously used, in my experience. Humidity can definitely play a role; but I find like 99% of the time SIP acts up it`s on a car where the owner regularly waxes it. Normally I just say screw it and move to a different polish but if I am determined I`ll isa:water or prepsol (well, actually Acrysol) the car.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    When using QD`s, just make sure they have no silicones in them. I never use QD`s anymore for lubrication as it may give false impressions of the actual correction and may still act up.

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    When using QD`s, just make sure they have no silicones in them. I never use QD`s anymore for lubrication as it may give false impressions of the actual correction and may still act up.

Ya see? Rydawg, you`re still teaching me new tricks all the time. I never thought of that.

BTW, that new reflection shot you have in your Avatar is just sick. Thought you should know.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    how long are people working SIP? At 1500 rpms w/ purple wool I cant get it to last more than 30ish senconds, and at that point it doesn`t appear to be fully broken down.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe SB has mentioned that with foamed wool 30 seconds is quite normal.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Picus, it`s good to see you back!

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Man, that`s frustrating when those two start acting up. They`re my favorite polishes, but they can be so aggravating.

When SIP starts acting up, I:

1. Add some 106ff to it

2. Do a thorough IPA wipedown

3. Spread it out very evenly. About 500 RPM or so for at least three passes. If it`s not *completely* even, it`ll make your life hard.

When 106 acts up (which doesn`t seem to be very often, thank heavens):

1. Do the same things as above, except the adding polish, of course.

Most of the time when 106 acts up, it means that the clear on the car is just too soft to use 106 on. Changing to a very soft finishing pad will sometimes help, too.

There`s only been a couple times where doing the above things still wasn`t enough to be able to use them. Worth trying, anyway.

106 was drying up on the paint over the weekend and I wasn`t working too long according to the advice I have received from you and others. Wiping up the dried up 106 with a MF and IPA was a PITB so I would just go over the section one more time quickly with the broken down polish and then wipe it up. Weird. I wonder if the insane humidity we had over the past few days contributed?

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried everything , i changed speeds ,change pressure,mixxed sip and 106 ,mixed poliseal with both,changed pads,brushed pad after each pass,used pad conditioner,used IPA wipedown.you name it tried it and it was spitting polish balls everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information