Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    well guys... i cant get it right! Before i was working it too much... now i think im working it too little. What am i doing wrong?!?!

This is on white 4 inch pad btw.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t had a chance to use 105 yet (it just came today) but based on that video I`d guess you aren`t working it enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on my experiences I was told to work it for about 15-20 seconds at about 1500 rpms. I am sure some of the other masters will chime in. From my observations it doesn`t look like you are working it fast enough.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see 2 things that you do opposite of me (and I have had good results with the stuff). I put a couple of drops on the panel. I then turn the rotary on to 1000, and set the trigger lock (with the rotary held up off the panel). With the rotary running, I pick up the polish at 1000. The second I have picked it up, I up it to 1500rpm. I only work it about 20 seconds.

It looked like you put the polish on the panel, kind of set the rotary on the polish, then turned it on - I couldn`t really tell for sure un the video though.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I work it slowly with moderate pressure at 1000 rpms for 30-40 seconds per section. I can more than double the work time with not much reduction in cut if I mix in 30-50% Optimum Compound.

Looks like you aren`t working it long enough and moving the rotary too quickly.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is the size of the pad you are using. a 4 inch pad on a rotary needs to run at much higher speeds than a 6, or 8 inch pad.

Rotaries and DA`s work very differently with pad sizes, whereas a DA and a 4inch pad works a product more than with a 6 inch pad, a rotary with a 4 inch pad will work the product less.

For example, at 1000 RPM, the outer edge of a 4 inch pad will travel 12,560 inches per minute, or ~210 inches per second.

The outermost edge of a 6 inch pad, at 1000 rpm, will travel 28,260 inches per minute, or 471 inches per second. You get more than twice the polishing action with the 6 inch pad.

On DA you need the smaller pad to be able to use more pressure to create more friction without bogging down the machine, but with a rotary, machien bog down should not be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest concern is you`re using too small of a pad combo(especially foam) for such a large area. Why don`t you use a larger, more standard setup? Plus, you might get better results working a smaller, more concentrated area too.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    My biggest concern is you`re using too small of a pad combo(especially foam) for such a large area. Why don`t you use a larger, more standard setup? Plus, you might get better results working a smaller, more concentrated area too.

Yea, i liked the small pad because i could focus more on certain places.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    I see 2 things that you do opposite of me (and I have had good results with the stuff). I put a couple of drops on the panel. I then turn the rotary on to 1000, and set the trigger lock (with the rotary held up off the panel). With the rotary running, I pick up the polish at 1000. The second I have picked it up, I up it to 1500rpm. I only work it about 20 seconds.

It looked like you put the polish on the panel, kind of set the rotary on the polish, then turned it on - I couldn`t really tell for sure un the video though.

I picked up the bead. I think it was hard to tell also and then hesitated since it was set for a much higher RPM and then turned it down.

and i dont think that would have much of a difference in the end result.

I think that i have been going to 2 different extremes, too long and not long enough. I just HATE having to scrape the residue off. I just couldnt find my damn OP today. Im guna put some 106 or something with it tomorrow.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I`ll chime in with my $0.000002 (after taxes). I use a rotary every day on BMW`s for reconditioning, so here goes:

1. Pad size is way too small (except for headlight restoration). You are going to generate a lot of heat with that size and could burn the paint (this is from my own experience). Move to an 8" pad or the Meguiar`s So1o 7" pads.

2. I work a small area (18" X 18" or so) slooooooowly, until the product disappears. And, never, ever, ever wipe compounded areas with a microfiber. That just induces more scratches. If you want to clean a compounded area, keep a bucket of ONR handy. There`s enough lube in ONR to safely pick up the abrasive grit that`s laying around.

3. If you are getting a caked on situation, you either have too much product on the pad or it`s drying out too quickly. Try misting some plain water on the pad.

Finally, like Scott and others, I work the rotary between 1,000 rpm and 1,200 rpm.

Good luck

Toto
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice Totoland. I`ll keep that in mind when I go to town with M105 on my Bimmer, hehe.
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    so toto your saying work m105 until it disapears completely? HMMMMM(!) i would like to here what todd or brian have to say about that.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive never used 105 but I agree, you didnt work that long enough at all.
    2004 Jeep liberty w/ stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballlover1
    so toto your saying work m105 until it disapears completely? HMMMMM(!) i would like to here what todd or brian have to say about that.

I think he means until it clears out.

If you only wanted Todd or Brian`s advice, why didn`t you just PM them? :think:
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I work 105 for quite a while. I guess it`s all in the technique in which how long you can work it.

Use bigger pads.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information