Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    How big is the Filter Housing, and what did you pay for it?

Post Thanks / Like
    filter housing is 5" x 20", large enough that a 4.5" x 20" filter will fit in it?

Housing - $24.58

Filter - $39.00

shipping - $14.53

total $78.11

Post Thanks / Like
    That housing is not going to be big enough. CR uses the "Big Blue" housing and filter cartridges (4.5" x 20"). here is the link to your sites big blue Custom Aquatic - Store - Reverse Osmosis - Filter Housings | Pressure Vessels - [ 20 in Big Blue Filter Housing, 1 in ports, White ]. They retail that for $79.99 ea. The inside diameter of the housing needs to be 5.5" or an outside diameter of 7" to accomodate a 4.5" filter cartridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    in lew of sending it back, I think I may use it for a while and see what I can get out of it, theoretically it should flow the same as 2x 9.75 x 2.5" DI Filters and give approx 2gpm of flow, plenty to rinse a car with....

I just hope I am right this time...and according to the filter, there is a paper that comes on it....

it lists the specs of the 4.5" x 20" DI Filters and it says flow is 1.25GPM (conservatively, bear in mind this is designed for 99.98% filtration for aquatic life) thus the flow rate is only 1.25 GPM and the grain capacity is 1850 grains (a whole lot)

using this as just a spot free application it should flow 2 to 3 GPM in a single cartridge, but for now I will live with what I have until John calls me back....

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Their descriptions don`t match the product very well. All I know is that if you have a 4.5" x 20" filter Cartridge the housing has to be a "Big Blue" 20" housing. Big Blue is not neccassarily the color or brand name but it is always used to describe the housing. That link is not for a Big Blue. Only the link I sent you is for a big blue. I would also bet that a 4.5 x 20 cartridge filled with resin will run you about $75 to $80 for one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm the model 20" HD Model is $38 and has a depth of 10" vs. 5" of the original filter housing. ASSUMING more is better as far as depth/width goes, the filter housing I have is for 2.5" filters, and it has a depth of 5", so if you assume half your depth = filter size then 10" depth is 5" filters or 4.5"????

Custom Aquatic - Store - Reverse Osmosis - Filter Housings | Pressure Vessels - [ 20 in White/White HD Filter Housing, 3/4in inlet-outlet port ]

I think I would be right in assuming the above would work, but then again I thought I was right to begin with in ordering the parts I ordered......looks like I assumed wrong to begin with, I will talk with John tomorrow and see what he can put together for me. Sorry about all the confusion

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, this may get me banned but here goes anyway. My name is Chuck De Went and I and the designer, creator, and owner of CR Spotless. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to discourage you in anyway from trying to find a cheaper way to create a DI system. After all I am a Do it Yourselfer as well and I love the creative spirit you guys have.

However; I will tell you that I have seen this a hundred times and it is very difficult to find all the Ă¢â‚¬Å“rightĂ¢â‚¬ components (one at a time) to recreate what I have created at a price that makes since for all the effort.

Volume of resin is key to flow rate and type of resin is key to longevity. Not all mixed bed resins will work even if they are nuclear grade. We have our resin designed especially for this purpose from the largest manufacturer of Ion Exchange Resins.

No matter what you find it will be close to impossible to beat the Deal that Costco is offering. You need to have Big Blue of everything, from housing to resin cartridge and those are not cheap. I am not saying that you should stop and I will be willing to answer your questions about what you find (if I am still allowed). I am not here to tout my product because you all know about it anyway. Just trying to be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chuck, good to meet you, I dont see what it would get you banned, as far as I know saying your name and that you own something isn`t against the rules

As you said you are a DIYer and as am I. As a fellow business owner I am attempting to save money when and where I can, this seems to be one way I can do that.

edit:

BTW, thanks alot for taking the time to answer these questions

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem. And good luck with your findings. Any thing else I can do just ask. Keep in mind I won`t give away all my secrets. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, just got the chance to post this, I talked with John yesterday. Only ONE of there suppliers carry a cartridge this big (4.5x20) and it drop ships directly from there supplier. The cost of it is $55 wholesale....

To order this part you will need to call and speak to John at Custom Aquatic, there phone # is on there site. Just call and ask for John, tell him you are interested in the 4.5" x 20" DI Cartridge for $55 (thats what he quoted me on voice mail).

Enjoy fella`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Any new developments on this? It`d be nice if somebody put together a list of parts that are needed. I`m still confused at this point.

I`m looking for alternative drying method since paint on my car is pretty soft and it became swirled a lot. I`m planning on getting it polished/restored and use air dry method with DI water.

Should go long way towards keeping nice finish, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    currently waiting on the weather to stay nice so I can hook up my spotless filter.....Its 58* right now but Its supposed to get down to below freezing soon again, and that wouldn`t be good for the filter....

Come spring time, when there really is no threat to freezing temps and such (when the water warms up and I can wash without my hands freezing to death) I will post an update/review.

edit:

when my water gets cold my hands really hurt pretty bad.....makes winter washing very hard....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalker25

when my water gets cold my hands really hurt pretty bad.....makes winter washing very hard....

Same here, mine dry out so bad in cold and I can`t stand using lotion too often. I washed the car couple times in 30F weather and it`s no fun. At least the water was hot, though!

Will be waiting for you review!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by r0nd3L
    Same here, mine dry out so bad in cold and I can`t stand using lotion too often. I washed the car couple times in 30F weather and it`s no fun. At least the water was hot, though!

Will be waiting for you review!

I use dive gloves. 3mm are plenty to protect from cold water.

I do use warm water but I washed the car several times with temp in the low 30`s upper 20`s and I did not have a problem.

Actually I was doing a ONR wash yesterday in the garage(temp prob around 48-50) and I did it bare hands and it was indeed painfull.

Price went a bit up since they have a new version.

Henderson 3mm H2 Hyperstretch Titanium Gloves DG30N with reviews at scuba.com

Keep in mind they are insulating gloves not water proof.

Cheers

Nick

PS: I used SealSkinz Gloves before and they leaked after a few uses. So I returned them.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information