Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx SuperBee that answers allot of my questions! I was at Lowes tonight and saw quite a few sediment filter systems that are big enough and efficient enough to filter an entire house water system of sediment and chlorine. They were no more than $50 or so bucks. I guess the difference is that they don`t help with the deionizing. I always thought it was the sediment that caused the spots so this thread really schooled me.

I`ll definitely be watching this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2003 Ford SVT Cobra # 4635
    585 RWHP on pump fuel! Brought to you by Matt Hill Motorsports!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    I`d love to see how they integrated the TDS meter into a CR Spotless. Maybe we can get some rich ( ) CRSpotless owner to take a few detailed pics.

Not one of the *rich* guys, but here are some pics. Let me know if you need more.

Yes, I know it`s dirty.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm looks like they tapped the top of the filter housing and incased the wire leads in rubber heat shrink. an easy job if you ask me, simple silicon caulking (like used to seal bathtubs) should do the trick nicely. wouldn`t take longer than 5 minutes to do.

for the record I didn`t get the TDS meter. perhaps that will be my next purchase.

the caulking is for waterproofing, and to help hold the sensor in place (that or super glue).

edit: thanks for the pictures! Dont everyone thank me, its all Superbee`s doings he started this thread, and this whole community has made me a better detailer! I am just doing my part trying to help out. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    For those who know: how many gals. of water for a "normal" wash on a car?

Just a thought - what if one were to use a lesser DI system than CRS and fill a tank then boost output w/ a 60-80 psi pump to hose end or pressure washer?

Also what TDS readings do you guys get w/ your DI water?
    [quote name=`ptaylor_9849`] Black is not a color, it`s a part time job. Patrick[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    Good find bwalker25. I find it isn`t hard to get the water quality we want, but getting it at an adequate flow to do a useful car rinse is the trick.

Even the Mr. Clean AutoDry filter prevents spots but the flow rate is anemic at best.

Then a vendor starts touting the "Rechargeable Water softening cartridge" as the answer to an economical spot-free rinse. Well, almost but not quite as I find out after using it and then reading SuperBees` same conclusion in his quest for the economical spot-free filter.

Then I built the same basic two filter system that Supe outlined in the beginning of this thread. The DI filters work pretty well but I have to guess at how much water pressure I can use. Too little and it`s almost as frustrating as the Mr. Clean AutoDry. Too much pressure and the filters don`t have the time/capacity to filter and you wind up with spots.

I guess the answer is a good in-line TDS meter, and now these larger capacity filters are looking pretty good. If someone doesn`t figure out an easy way to do an in-line TDS meter I guess I`ll just buy a cheap handheld and get some benchmark readings from it.

Those are my exact frustrations with the system I made. And it looks like both issues will be solved now. Thanks to Blk45`s pictures, putting an in-line TDS meter in my setup will be cake. Replacing the filters with the larger ones from Bwalker25`s supplier should solve our GPM woes.

FWIW, I`ve been turning off my PW, then just using line pressure through the PW when I`m using the DI filters. It`s not alot of flow, but it *is* better than the Mr. Clean alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolWhip
    Thanx SuperBee that answers allot of my questions! I was at Lowes tonight and saw quite a few sediment filter systems that are big enough and efficient enough to filter an entire house water system of sediment and chlorine. They were no more than $50 or so bucks. I guess the difference is that they don`t help with the deionizing. I always thought it was the sediment that caused the spots so this thread really schooled me.

I`ll definitely be watching this thread.

Yeah, it`s the hard water minerals that cause the dreaded spots. Traditional soft water filters just end up leaving sodium spots behind. DI water is *the* ticket for spot free cars.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalker25
    hmm looks like they tapped the top of the filter housing and incased the wire leads in rubber heat shrink. an easy job if you ask me, simple silicon caulking (like used to seal bathtubs) should do the trick nicely. wouldn`t take longer than 5 minutes to do.

for the record I didn`t get the TDS meter. perhaps that will be my next purchase.

the caulking is for waterproofing, and to help hold the sensor in place (that or super glue).

edit: thanks for the pictures! Dont everyone thank me, its all Superbee`s doings he started this thread, and this whole community has made me a better detailer! I am just doing my part trying to help out. Thanks guys

Yup, should be a quick install! I was way off on how to do this... I was thinking about trying to adapt the John Guest fittings to a hose! Tapping into the housing is going to be much easier.

Blk45, those pics are exactly what we needed. Huge thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen arcane
    For those who know: how many gals. of water for a "normal" wash on a car?

Just a thought - what if one were to use a lesser DI system than CRS and fill a tank then boost output w/ a 60-80 psi pump to hose end or pressure washer?

Also what TDS readings do you guys get w/ your DI water?

Running all the water used for a car wash through a PW does cut down alot on the total amount of water used for a car wash. Let`s see.... I normally run water through my PW for about 15 minutes for an average wash. My PW flows 2.6 GPM, so 39 gallons total.

I only use DI water for the final rinse, though. I would guess maybe 2 gallons at the very most. I turn off my PW, then just squeeze the PW handle trigger, and allow normal line pressure to feed the DI filters. The flow rate is really slow this way, but it does insure that the water is good and DI`d. It takes maybe 1 minute to totally rinse the car and get a completely spot free air dry.

It seems like the info from CRSpotless`s web site says that when your TDS meter goes over 20, it`s time to replace the media, so I`m assuming that normal operation is well under that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Blk45, those pics are exactly what we needed. Huge thanks!

Very welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    I may well pursue using holding tanks and a cheaper DI system. Being somewhat of a DIY guy I enjoy the challenge and like to save some bucks along the way. I already have 35 gal. trash can(s), bulkhead fittings, tubing, filter housings, a handheld TDS meter and pumps through my pond keeping hobby. We make DI water where I work (electrical and steam generation) and I even have access to cations and anions as well. As much as I`d love to have a CRS they are somewhat cost prohibitive for me.
    [quote name=`ptaylor_9849`] Black is not a color, it`s a part time job. Patrick[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    update:

I have received the tracking # from Custom Aquatic (got it in email Tuesday) been busy with work and my new unborn child (ultrasounds) woohoo!!!

I was hoping since I ordered it Sunday, that it would ship Monday, but it shipped Tuesday instead and now its due to arrive on Monday 1/12/09. My UPS man knows me so I should have it by no later than 930am, he is really nice, always gives me AM by 10am delivery no matter what hes also a client!

also I read somewhere that this filter will flow 3gpm and produce perfect results, can`t remember where, so It should be fine for what I will use it for. I just need to order that TDS meter to monitor the filters.

Also testing of this thing may have to wait a while, its cold, and REALLY rainy lately. perhaps later this month, or into February/March.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update!
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalker25
    update:

I have received the tracking # from Custom Aquatic (got it in email Tuesday) been busy with work and my new unborn child (ultrasounds) woohoo!!!

I was hoping since I ordered it Sunday, that it would ship Monday, but it shipped Tuesday instead and now its due to arrive on Monday 1/12/09. My UPS man knows me so I should have it by no later than 930am, he is really nice, always gives me AM by 10am delivery no matter what hes also a client!

also I read somewhere that this filter will flow 3gpm and produce perfect results, can`t remember where, so It should be fine for what I will use it for. I just need to order that TDS meter to monitor the filters.

Also testing of this thing may have to wait a while, its cold, and REALLY rainy lately. perhaps later this month, or into February/March.

Congratulations on the new li`l detailer!

3 gpm would be perfect for even the most demanding PW.

Post Thanks / Like
    my 2nd girl! I just hope it flows enough, I dont have a PW so....

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not quite sure you are compairing apples to apples. The links you provided are for 20"x 2.5" resin cartridge and a 20" x 5" housing to hold that cartridge. My CrSpotless system uses a 20" x 7" housing and a 20" x 4.5" resin cartridge. Twice the volume and therefore twice the flow rate of what you are proposing. The usable flow rate is directly connected to the volume of resin you have in any given system. Even if you were to put two of those housings and cartridges in series it wouldn`t be any more than the DIC/W-10 models that CR sells or you would need four to equal that of a DIC/W-20 Model. Just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like
    ahhh....i`m an idiot

beav is correct I did order the wrong part....oops :bawling:

FWIW, I did get my filter and housing in, just ordered the wrong filter. I now need to find a 4.5 x 20" filter......

let ya know when I find one....

Post Thanks / Like
    Well just finished talking with John at Custom Aquatic, they are going to call there supplier and see what they have available in stock. He said that what ever size I want is available across the board, for every filter housing, for the Big Blue or White Housings (I got the white one). So in other words the filter I NEED is available but I have to call them to get it. Not everything is listed on their website. John is going to call and email me tomorrow with pricing. As soon as I know something, I`ll post up what I find out.

He said it will more than likely be a week or more before the filter becomes available for them to ship to me. I just wish I had looked at the filter specs more before ordering. Perhaps I can return it, for a credit....

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information