Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07e90
    But factor in 40 plus shipping for an inline TDS meter, more $$ for the fittings needed to fit the meter, and you have no cart, and you get a 50 ft. hose with the Costco deal, not to mention everything is one package and ready to go. Factor in the fact that you will have to replace the media sooner because of half of the capacity=time lost. Granted it`s prob not too much time. So the only benefit of the DIY system is that you get 434 gallons more for a little more $$ than the costco deal. However, the flow rate is also lower on the $99 dollar set up. In the end for anyone without your system, I think the costco CR system is the way to go.

But since you already invested the $99 dollars you might be better off with your system. Although for the sake of convienience with the cart and everything, I would just get the CR anyway. :nixweiss

Replacing the filter media might take you five minutes if you really take your time. But it appears that the reasons you posted must have quite a bit of value to you, and that`s great.

But, hopefully, there`s *someone* out there that this benefits. Personally, I`ll take the 76 dollar savings and 400+ more gallons quite happily. But that`s just me.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Replacing the filter media might take you five minutes if you really take your time. But it appears that the reasons you posted must have quite a bit of value to you, and that`s great.

But, hopefully, there`s *someone* out there that this benefits. Personally, I`ll take the 76 dollar savings and 400+ more gallons quite happily. But that`s just me.

The time it takes to replace the media is probably negligible like I stated before. Wouldn`t it be less than 76 because an inline TDS meter is 40 dollars? Plus the misc fittings needed to hook up the TDS. Then again with the DIY system I`m guessing it`s easier to just buy a hand held TDS meter which should be around $20. I didn`t mean to come off sounding like I am arguing, my apologies, I was just giving my point of view.

But it`s great that you found an alternative, and thinking about it, with a much lower initial cost it will probably benefit many people that aren`t looking to spend almost $400 right away, or just weekened warrior that only wash their own cars a couple times a month. They can even buy your system for $99 and purchase the smaller sized refills as needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been casually following this thread. I thought I`d bring it back since I bought my own and posted some pics on another site if anyone here is curious:

VWvortex Forums: CR Spotless

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no doubt that the CRSpotless is a very high quality piece of equipment. However, my home made system is working very well. I just have to be careful not to flow too many GPM, or I start to get spots. I also find myself wishing I had a built in TDS meter like the CRSpotless. But for the total money spent, it works well.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad it worked out for you SB. Approximately how much flow are you getting before it starts to spot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just enough to feed my pressure washer at max PSI, so anything over about 2.6 GPM starts to spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Custom Aquatic has a wholesale division, on there website (free account setup).

FWIW I just bought there 20" x 4" DI Cartridge and a 20" White/White 3/4" Inlet/Outlet Housing all for only $81.87 shipped.

Should flow as much or more than the dual 10" cartridge types. If anyone has questions I can post the wholesale pricing break down for both parts.

wholesale shipped is around $81.87 and the retail pricing is about $20 higher.

edit:

Actually it should flow much more than a dual 10" setup and be cheaper. twice the filter length and almost twice as wide.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m definitely interested! I`ve been lurking on Autopia for a while and this thread actually made me want to register. I was going to by a CR until I read this, now I was to try to make my own first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2003 Ford SVT Cobra # 4635
    585 RWHP on pump fuel! Brought to you by Matt Hill Motorsports!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalker25

FWIW I just bought there 20" x 4" DI Cartridge and a 20" White/White 3/4" Inlet/Outlet Housing all for only $81.87 shipped.

Should flow as much or more than the dual 10" cartridge types. If anyone has questions I can post the wholesale pricing break down for both parts.

edit:

Actually it should flow much more than a dual 10" setup and be cheaper. twice the filter length and almost twice as wide.

Wow, this sound like a great deal! Time to start looking into this system. Thanks bwalker25!

Edit: Wow, custom aquatic`s site is huuuuge. Can we talk you out of links to the relevant pages to put together the system you described?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalker25

edit:

Interesting. While I do have a CR unit of my own, I`d be interested to hear the how well this system works.
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    haha yah, Let me get links for you hold on a minute

edit 1: sorry for the delay, been busy with my new Christmas gifts!

there site isn`t only BIG it is SLOW....

but here are the links with prices...

20" x 5" filter housing with 3/4" INLET/OUTLET (that is hose pipe size right?) it does NOT come with fittings (I don`t think it does) for just $24.58

Custom Aquatic - Store - Reverse Osmosis - Filter Housings | Pressure Vessels - [ 20 in White/White Filter Housing, 3/4 in inlet-outlet port ]

To go with that is the 20" x 4" DI Cartridge for just $39.00

Custom Aquatic - Store - Reverse Osmosis - Replacement Filter Cartridges | Membranes - [ 20 Inch Mixed Bed Deionization Cartridge ]

total price is $63.58

note that the filter cartridge is a SPECIAL ORDER ITEM. I believe that I read on there site that special order items are drop shipped from the manufacturer. If that is true, then if we found out who the manufacturer was, then perhaps a big group buy is in order for deep discounts on the DI Cartridges?

Shipping is a little high, by my estimates and from what I read they charge around a $5.00 handling fee but still to get it from them to me is around $14.53 on there site.

Its cheaper than I posted in my above post, because shipping has gone down a little (yay)

total for a 20x5" housing w/ 3/4" in/outlets and 1 cartridge shipped is $78.11

They specialize in reef aquariums and water filteration for these types of aquatic life setups. I think if its good enough for a fish to live in its good enough to filter water for my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    pricing posted is wholesale pricing and doesn`t reflect retail pricing, which is of course higher....

most all of us have a business license or a sales and use license. Why not use it for some better discounts, we do have a need for it, and if you have a hobby like aquariums / fish care then this is a good site for that as well....

hope I am not violating rules by posting that, I am NOT affiliated with customaquatic in any way, just found a good deal and figured why not post it

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool, man, thanks! That site`s regular pricing is some of the best around. You could mix-n-match the things from that site and make some really cool custom DI units.

I`m thinking about getting two of the blue 20" units to replace the smaller ones I already have. That would give me two 20" DI filters inline, similar to the CR spotless system.

Great site.

Post Thanks / Like
    still cheaper I assume to make it vs. the cost of the CR unit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, by about eighty bucks or so.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information