Thread: Pre-filter

Post Thanks / Like
    Have any of you used one of these? It`s on sale at Lowe`s for $29.99. Just wondering if it would help the resin in my CR Spotless last a bit longer. And for the days when I don`t feel like dragging the CR out, would it help a little with filtering the water?

Attachment 13715
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    That just looks like a particle filter. What a lot of people don`t seem to understand about the CR system is it`s not a filter; it`s an ion removal system. It`s electrochemically capturing the mineral ions in the water, not filtering them out.

Post Thanks / Like
    So adding to what Setec posted, if you have crappy water I`d run the filter too, but not to take the load off the CR, rather to trap the big chunks of stuff. What *my* particle filters catch is downright scary.

I wouldn`t get a super-fine filter lest you mess with the water delivery; I use 5-micron ones (as opposed to the 1-micron prefilter I use for drinking water going into the RO unit).

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran a filter for a week. I hated it because it caused the water pressure to be a dribble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    I ran a filter for a week. I hated it because it caused the water pressure to be a dribble.

What micron level was that? Sounds like what the 1-micron ones can do.

Even when my booster pump is inop, the 5-micron filters don`t mess with my pressure enough to bother bypassing them until I get the pump fixed.

Post Thanks / Like
    At a 5 micron level, would I be able to notice a difference between straight hose water and "filtered" water?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 1micron carbon filter and a resin filter. They dramatically cut down on the already awful water pressure at our house(sometimes below 20psi) but I only use them on the final rinse down(sheeting) so it doesnt matter. As long as I get a decent stream of water Im ok.
    2004 Jeep liberty w/ stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jb1
    At a 5 micron level, would I be able to notice a difference between straight hose water and "filtered" water?

I sorta doubt it, but that doesn`t mean it wouldn`t still be a good idea. Seeing the stuff that my filters catch is enough to convince me that they`re beneficial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I sorta doubt it, but that doesn`t mean it wouldn`t still be a good idea. Seeing the stuff that my filters catch is enough to convince me that they`re beneficial.

Thanks for the reply - guess I`ll give it a shot.

Thread Information