Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is alive again. . Well Spearsvette if you could add insight to this whole thread then cool, I can learn something. The $175.00 for Concours means little to me because in my area I can charge $200-300 for a detail when I use it, so eventually it will pay for itself.

As far as the high price tag, I can surely say that it is a marketing machine and the niche that they participate in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by howareb
    This thread is alive again. . Well Spearsvette if you could add insight to this whole thread then cool, I can learn something. The $175.00 for Concours means little to me because in my area I can charge $200-300 for a detail when I use it, so eventually it will pay for itself.

As far as the high price tag, I can surely say that it is a marketing machine and the niche that they participate in.

well dont get me wrong, everyone is entitled to make a profit, and nobody goes into business to lose money, or break even. So kudos to zymol for their product, because it is great (I use some of their products), they have a good market strategy going for them.

I guess my main point is, don`t discount lower priced waxes, because the quality level gap isnt that huge between the products, Zymol puts a lot of stock into their ingredients listing, which are not rare at all, I guess is my main point.

If someone were to make a similar recipe, and charge under $150 for it, I`d be hooked immediately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearsVette
    If someone were to make a similar recipe, and charge under $150 for it, I`d be hooked immediately.
    Here you go:

On special for $37. HOW AND WHEN TO USE PASTE WAX

I believe their 5050 paste wax is better and goes for $48.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used Petes 53 and CG5050. Where they both are good waxes, neither one are true white carnauba waxes. They also both contain a good bit of synthetics (nothing wrong with that). They both advertise themselves as white carnaubas (which the only real difference between white, yellow, and ivory is clarity quality, and it`s ability to be dyed), I`m about 99% sure the CG waxes are Ivories, like Pinnacle Souveran etc. From my understanding of how waxes are bleached and refined, white waxes go through a 2 step, and ivory waxes only go the the hydrogen peroxide bleaching step, whereas the white waxes, have some fullers added into them. Now I don`t think that means that a white wax should be superior to an ivory or yellow, I think it`s mainly just different ways of going about certain things. The Carnauba wax content isnt really what gives a wax it`s total gloss. It has more to do with it`s oils/solvents that make the carnauba workable.

To be honest though, I`ve used Petes 53, and where it was a good wax, it was no Zymol Vintage as far as my eyes were concerned. I also feel Petes 53 is a steal of a bargain, but Im still convinced someone can make a wax like the zymols, sell it cheaper, and still profit.

I also don`t want to come off as a zymol fanboy because I`m not, I like to use a plethora of products when working on a customer`s car. I guess its just choosing the right tool for the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to beat a dead horse, but outside of being a certified wax chemist, one would have to categorically prove (with scientific evidence and not heresay) that any wax maker`s claim that an ingredient configuration is in fact truth or tale. We have had a wealth of discussion about the validity of certain products and the various claims, and outside of documented proof of workable wax consistency percentages (to which this day I have yet to see any documented scientific study that notes the limitation of a certain percentage of carnauba that`s useful in automotive wax), all of the discussions on certain detailing boards about the validity of certain products have amounted to more heresay than actual fact finding.

The bottom line is that manufacturers such as Zymol (there are a few others that charge a lot as well) continue to make and market their products without sanction. To more than a few experienced consumers, these products have shown themselves as being distinct from their competitors, thus their presence in the market continues to thrive.

The prices of some of those high end products are ridiculous (and I say this as being a consumer of one of those products); However I stop short of calling any product bogus, much in the same vein that I caution the word "best" to describe certain lsps. If your individual objective can be best met by any product, regardless of price, then that is the most important goal of using and enjoying any detailing product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lbls1
    Not to beat a dead horse, but outside of being a certified wax chemist, one would have to categorically prove (with scientific evidence and not heresay) that any wax maker`s claim that an ingredient configuration is in fact truth or tale. We have had a wealth of discussion about the validity of certain products and the various claims, and outside of documented proof of workable wax consistency percentages (to which this day I have yet to see any documented scientific study that notes the limitation of a certain percentage of carnauba that`s useful in automotive wax), all of the discussions on certain detailing boards about the validity of certain products have amounted to more heresay than actual fact finding.

The bottom line is that manufacturers such as Zymol (there are a few others that charge a lot as well) continue to make and market their products without sanction. To more than a few experienced consumers, these products have shown themselves as being distinct from their competitors, thus their presence in the market continues to thrive.

The prices of some of those high end products are ridiculous (and I say this as being a consumer of one of those products); However I stop short of calling any product bogus, much in the same vein that I caution the word "best" to describe certain lsps. If your individual objective can be best met by any product, regardless of price, then that is the most important goal of using and enjoying any detailing product.

I would have to agree with you, but also feel about 99.9% of the people on this site, and pro detailers have never seen the products they use in raw chemical form, nor would they know how different ingredients react with one another.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s true; Thus we depend on the actual results. Actual results won`t tell you how much carnauba by volume a wax or lsp will have, but overall feel, clarity etc. can tell you volumes about quality.

Also.....the biggest and the baddest isn`t necessarily the best. You`d be surprised in what some modest lsps can accomplish for the money. On the other hand, sometimes simplicity won`t "cut the mustard" and go as deep as "wall to wall" carnauba to some (for not having a better pun). Its all in the eye of the beholder......

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information