Post Thanks / Like
    yeah I know another ONR thread. maybe I can throw in a little about GS too for good luck :chuckle:

anyways, this year seeming more than the past where I live they are using heavy road salt, like most northern and midwestern states do.

I ONR`d (single bucket with GS) one of our vehicles on Monday after work and noticed it seemed like I was getting some whitish streaking like a salt water residue that was drying on the vehicle after wiped. not 100% clean like usual.

what are the recommendations for this? my 2 thoughts to try are: doing just 2 ONR washes hoping the 2nd wash gets rid of the remaining residue; or try a 2 bucket method to minimize the salt from the vehicle back into the ONR wash bucket?

now I know taking it through the 8 dollar car wash first then ONRing it is probably the best, but that too costly IMO. surely someone has come across this problem and came up with the best way to deal with it.

thanks Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    When I get a lot of salt on the car I go to the quarter car wash and just use the rinse setting to prep for ONR. It only costs $1.50

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HansB
    When I get a lot of salt on the car I go to the quarter car wash and just use the rinse setting to prep for ONR. It only costs $1.50

I do the same because I want to spray down as much of the undercarriage as I can and spray out the wheel wells real good. I don`t like salt to stay on my vehicles any longer than it has to. If you just want to wash it, get a sprayer and presoak your car with ONR before you wash it. Any if it`s real bad, rinse out your wash media more often and use multiple drying towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use 2-3 wash media. Use 2 buckets. I put an ounce or so of Duragloss or Zaino wash in my rinse bucket, and it works great to clean out the media. Instead of doing two washes, just wash the panel or section twice. Frequently one pass does not clean the grime, and like you said, salt mixes with the ONR and dries.

Additionally, I follow up the ONR with a QD in the winter just to make sure. ONR QD or otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always use 2 buckets. One for your QEW or ONR and the second a rinse bucket to let you mitt bloom in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find if I have salt spray on my vehicle that the wand rinses most of it off then I ONR. Seems to work great.

Oh Yea! The cheapest wand washes are $3.00 here in the Great White.
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the suggestions guys. I will give something a whirl and post on what I find works well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    I find if I have salt spray on my vehicle that the wand rinses most of it off then I ONR. Seems to work great.
    I agree 100%. That`s what I do too.

But . . . Last night, I didn`t have time to go to the wand wash but had heavy salt. I used a 1 gallon pump sprayer with warm water and 1/2 oz ONR to prespray. Then ONR wash with 4 gallons warm water, 2 oz ONR, and double grit guard. Works great all the time! Just be sure to keep using fresh mf`s for drying. You won`t see the salt in the water streaks, but they definitely show up when the streaks dry up. So be sure to do a good job drying to prevent this. It might seem like overkill, but it`s only for a few months of winter here in Chicago.

BTW - lately, I`ve been using Eurow shag mf`s for the washing part. They`re perfect for that.

Thread Information