Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    mr vic, how is it going. drop me an email i can let you know of some local places to set up a buisness account with and get megs at cost.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXTASY
    Also, I bet pinnacle bodywork shampoo would work well, I dont think it leaves anything behind, I just ran out.

I used Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo for a long time (years) before switching to Meg`s #62. IME the Pinnacle is mighty harsh on LSPs, sorta surprised me.

As most of the regulars here know, I now use Griot`s exclusively. The Griot`s does not have an appreciable effect on the KSG I use on the minivan; when I did the astounding (well, at least to me..the stuff just didn`t die) durability test the Griot`s simply didn`t strip it. I can`t imagine anybody going so long without correcting some marring anyhow, so washing with Griot`s isn`t really a durability factor IME (yeah, YMMV I suppose...).

On less durable sealants like UPP, the Griot`s does do the diminish-the-slickness thing, but it doesn`t actually compromise the sealant over a normal timespan (numerous washes) as best I can tell.

#00 is nice and gentle...sometimes *too* gentle, it doesn`t even harm the dirt Note that AFAIK it`s only available in small bottes. #62 is pretty good stuff, but that DuraGloss sure gets raves from people I respect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

#00 is nice and gentle...sometimes *too* gentle, it doesn`t even harm the dirt

Sounds good to me. As you might remember, my wash regiment includes powerwashing most of the dirt off prior to hand washing. Plus, being in Florida means that my vehicles won`t get as dirty & oily.

I just picked up a bottle of #00 from one of Auto Geek`s stores The Driver`s Seat. They also gave me a sample of their Wolfgang wash. They claim it`s just like #00. Is anyone able to confirm this?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey David, how does the FMJ look now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Nope, not Dawn. I`ve been using Wash & Wax from Auto Magic. Does anyone think the results could be squed with this type of product? Any opinions or recommendations.

Since all products are being washed with the same shampoo, any added protection will be equally distributed. Longevity will be skewed but this is a durability comparison test only and should be view as such, a comparison of durability with equal conditions.

:goodjob

Post Thanks / Like
    I switched over to Meg 00 car wash soap. I`ve washed twice with it so far and the entire car (even unprotected sections) is still beading & looking pretty much the same. Slickness has deminished considerably. The paint isn`t rough by any means, it`s just not soft like it was initially. Unprotected sections are just as shiny/clean/unmarred as the rest.

I did notice Zaino doesn`t roll off the hood like ball bearings like it use to during a rain storm. Still beads very nice (like all the others).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dave, when are you going to do an update?

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably at the 3 month mark which is in a couple more weeks. That way I can wash it a few more times to get better comparison. I like studing the beading from rain water better than from the hose. More natural looking. I`ll try to catch it right after a rainstorm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive noticed that too. Rain water always beads ALOT better than water from the hose. Im sure it has something to do with all the chemicals they use in the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave, I believe 3 months is the limit for me - after that I gotta do something with my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys,

Great thread you have going, the paint sealant test is very intreasting! Im a bit of a shampoo junky so i thought i would throw a few things in to the mix.

I wouldent worry about the shampoo thing to much, in the real world where many people will see the results of your test and use those answers to help them buy a product will probably use different soaps. Many of the washes have gloss enhances or "waxes". Many of the waxes are polymer type stuff that work best with sealants.

Just as much as containing enhancers for looks so many of them contain enhancers for rinsing which would effect the sheeting test as much as the minor protection in the wash would effect durability.

I think as long as your not going out and putting a dedicated wash and wax (be a polymer in water affair) on the sealants or shampoo that boasts mega rinsing abilities, eg. Autoglym Shampoo then i think you would be keeping it pretty fair.

You mentioned the Wolfgang wash? Its the same as Pinnicle car wash; coconut smell, low suds, good lube and a 6/10 for cleaning power. It leaves behind a layer of gloss enhancers that wont last longer then the first decent rain.

Over the counter Mothers Cali. Gold will give you bit more everything then #00 but wont leave any polymers, waxes etc behind.

Look forward to seeing the how the next few weeks pan out!

Geoff

Post Thanks / Like
    < < < < < 6 M o n t h U p d a t e > > > > > >

It’s been roughly 6 months since I originally sealed my car and I can honestly say that all panels are still beading! Is there still product on the surface? I can’t say? Is this beading an indication of just surface tension and not protection? I can’t say. What I can say, is that my car isn’t beading any differently now than it was after 1-2 weeks. The unprotected panels are still beading the same (which could be an indication of surface tension). For the last 3 1/2 months I’ve been strictly using Meg’s 00 car wash soap & it hasn’t changed the beading either. Because I visit different body shops daily, I know there tons of fine paint overspray all over my car. I can see/hear it on the windshield and can also feel it slightly on the paint. But, shouldn’t this reduce the beading of water? I open to discussion.

A Few Observations:

*Horizontal surfaces bead differently than vertical panels (naturally)

*Shape of beads aren`t as round as initially (could be from reduced surface tension from contaminants)

*Shine/Gloss is unchanged (hardly any micro-marring evident either)

*When spraying down with garden hose, each product sheds water off surface quick

*Rain beads tighter that city water (rain water droplets still on surface hours after it stops raining)

*Clean ability of surface is still good (road tar easily comes off during power washing/hand washing)

*Sprinkler (unfiltered lake water) doesn’t permanently spot finish. (gets parked next to sprinkler (outside) daily

Here’s some pictures 4 hours after a heavy night time rain:

Zaino Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish

Malco Paint Sealant:

Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 Paint Sealant:

Mark V Products Paint Sealant:

CPC Corp R-2000 Paint Sealant – contains DuPont ZONYL

1Z Einsett Glanz Sealant:

Menzerna FMJ Paint Sealant:

Jeff Werkstatt Acrylic Jett:

Unprotected Sections (middle of panel):

Ground drying @ 7:30am after an early morning rain:

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, keep in mind that my car was a little dirty in the pictures too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an idea: mark off a section of each area, then clay and rewax it with the product you originally used in that area.

That will make apparent the degradation that has occurred.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    So which do you feel offered the best protection?

John

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information