Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it all about shine? I would love to see a product that could produce an even slick haze.

Turn off the brights and have an slick satin glow. Think it`s possible to have a even semi gloss finish without starting out with one?

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it`s all about being different....a nice thick application of a heavy wax like #16 or Collinite 476S oughta do the trick, although not as perfectly evenly as a matte paint job. Of course, you could wetsand for the dull look.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say I don`t see what`s so great about a dull black car. It just doesn`t appeal to me. What I REALLY don`t get though is black wheels. I just look at them and everytime all I can think is "those wheels look dirty."

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking more of a polymer with a light diffuser in it. People are talking about a milky look why not try and go farther with a non reflective SLICK finish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    I have to say I don`t see what`s so great about a dull black car. It just doesn`t appeal to me. What I REALLY don`t get though is black wheels. I just look at them and everytime all I can think is "those wheels look dirty."

Yeah, I`m not feeling the flat paint, and I don`t get the black wheels, either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    I have to say I don`t see what`s so great about a dull black car.
    The Batmobile. Or the tumbler. That`s probably more flat than matt.

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting topic...I think that pic you have is a pretty good example of a car that would actually look good in a semi-gloss/satin finish, but I`m not sure how many would buy into it or how many cars would actually look good in it

i actually like that picture, but i still like cars glossy, it`s a matter of pride, gloss catches eyes more than dull i guess

nobody ever says, "I spent yesterday detailing my car; it`s soooooooo dull now." ...
    EXHILARATING THRILL + 34 MPG = INTEGRA

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doc-rice
    The Batmobile. Or the tumbler. That`s probably more flat than matt.
    I like to leave the Batmobile for Batman. I`ll take my car shiny please! :waxing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Shiny but non reflective!

I would really have a hard time selling this look in the UK to those Wax jockeys!

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel differently, I like that car. It looks mean and badass.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think on the right car, it might not look so bad. But it could be more of the person liking the car itself more and is able to overlook the semi-gloss finish, or learns to like it. The car in the pic above might get more approval of the finish, over a less exotic vehicle.

I`m also not a fan of black wheels, but I can`t make that a blanket statement, because again, on the right car (or more specifically, color) it doesn`t look so bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Lamborghini Reventón was one of the stars of this year`s Frankfurt Auto Show. While the car itself is a very unique piece (child of an F-117 and a Murciélago), it also featured a matte grey finish. The visual impact of the car is huge, but upon closer examination the finish was less than satisfactory. Dust nibs, runs, uneven finish. It was a true "looks good from 20 feet" car.

However, I`m big fan of Mercedes` Alu-Beam silk finishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with you all the way on the black wheel thing. I have never seen black or grey wheels that look as nice as polished or chrome wheels. In fact, my friend was going back and forth between an E-55 AMG or an E-63 AMG. The difference was nearly thirty grand. I gave my opinion to go with the E-55 mainly because of the brighter wheels. However, he liked the look of the grey wheels on the E-63 so he bought one. The first thing he said when he brought his new car to my house was "How can we make the wheels look less dirty".

Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Bad ***.

Flat black or suede finishes are, have been, and will always be awesome.

I`m a big fan of when folks take styling cues from older vehicles and portray them on modern cars...

I just painted the steel wheels my VW Rabbit came with red and I`m sourcing some tire paint for wide whites on my winter tires. I`d love to be able to slap a coat of "satin wax" on it to complete the look.
    ...BlackSheepSquad...

Post Thanks / Like
    Harley is currently using this as a `denim` finish option on some of their new bike

A buddy of mine recently bought one...I like the look.

I asked him how you`re supposed to care for the paint and it was kind of scary. They specifically say NOT to use car wash soap, polish, wax, or a quick detailer. You`re supposed to use dish detergent (Dawn) and he also said he uses Windex for touchups (not sure if they recommended that). I mentioned that Windex has ammonia in it and probably isn`t the best thing for the paint. I swear the paint will be falling off in a year...I`m curious what the paint manufacturers say.

I guess any paint damange is supposed to `enhance` the look..like a leather jacket...but I think they say that because it`s not maintainable with any current products

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information