Thread: Swirl Removal!

Post Thanks / Like
    The other day i was wasting some time on my car. Dad insisted it couldnt get any better but i knew that i had learned a lot over the past year (it was a year ago when i detailed it last, i should also say that we have probobly not driven the car 20 times since then) and i knew i could do a LOT better job. I realized that there were a heck load of swirl marks in the finish, so i set out to get them out. As i started with the comppound i started thinking about something; Is it the compounds job or the polishes to get the swirl marks out? I know that the compound takes scratches and oxidation out, and it seemed to take swirl marks out (very slowly though, and they didnt all come out in the end). So after i finished i thought about it and thought i must be an idiot, ide bet that you polish them out instead of compound them out. I know im going to get a lot of guys saying to "stay in school" and that im a novice and go study a book or something, but i need to know this! its bothering me. lol

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballlover1
    The other day i was wasting some time on my car. Dad insisted it couldnt get any better but i knew that i had learned a lot over the past year (it was a year ago when i detailed it last, i should also say that we have probobly not driven the car 20 times since then) and i knew i could do a LOT better job. I realized that there were a heck load of swirl marks in the finish, so i set out to get them out. As i started with the comppound i started thinking about something; Is it the compounds job or the polishes to get the swirl marks out? I know that the compound takes scratches and oxidation out, and it seemed to take swirl marks out (very slowly though, and they didnt all come out in the end). So after i finished i thought about it and thought i must be an idiot, ide bet that you polish them out instead of compound them out. I know im going to get a lot of guys saying to "stay in school" and that im a novice and go study a book or something, but i need to know this! its bothering me. lol

Thanks guys!

Search! It`s the most powerful tool this forum has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are making this way too complicated ....

Swirls are just very, very shallow scratches.

Compounds are just agressive polishes....or in other words polishes typically have fine abrassives (if any, some are merely chemical cleaners or have fillers) and compounds generally have more agressive abrassives for heavier defect removal.

Use the least agressive product (polish or compound) to remove the severity of the defect (swirls or scratches, etc.)

Make sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    the basic of polish anything

is to remove the imperfections

so if you have swirls marks that you can get out with a polish that is what you use

if it needs 1500grit, 2000grit, 3000grit, heavy compound, light coumpound, heavy polish,

med polish, light polish and a finish polish thatis what you use(that is just an example don`t try this unless you are polishing a rock)

also all/most compounds require a second step after the compounding

compounds make there own scratches that need to be polished out

think of it like this you are going to keep making the scratches/ swirls

smaller untill your eye can`t see them

here look @ this review I did

on the second car (the blue linc.) you can see how there are less and less defects

after each step

http://autopia.org/forum/danase/9649...rs-review.html

Post Thanks / Like
    yeP! Once again, GREAT ADVICE/information! Thanks guys!

Thread Information