Post Thanks / Like
    In my endless pursuit of best bang for the buck, I have read and reread everything about CG compounds. As far as I can tell, if they work as advertised, then I`m in - cause the price is right and I`m ready to "come on down!" Specifically, I`m looking at getting the EZ Cut Heavy Duty, the Laser Buff-Scratch & Swirl Remover and the Extreme All-in-1 Polish +Shine & Sealant. The way I figure, I`ve got a heavy, a medium that breaks down to fine and a AIO that appears (on paper) to be poliseal on some roids from the WWF. I need some honest, been there - done that kind of feed back. BTW, I use a makita with wool and foam Edge pads, PC with LC pads. I`ve tried Megs, Malco, 1 Presta polish, some HiTemp, all Optimum, XMT, & WG (joke!). I prefer a compound that breaks down fairly fast, I`d trade a little dust vs getting gummy on the paint/pad. So far, Malco has been my favorite, but at $18.95 a quart, vs 25 bucks a gallon, well .....

Post Thanks / Like
    Aw c`mon! NO ONE has used CG compounds??

Post Thanks / Like
    hers the skinny on CG compounds....use the Diamond Cut series of their compounds...they are body shop safe...not that it is important unless you are repainting...but they break down quick but work very quick as well...the only trade off is that they do get dusty....on the rotary its not that bad..but on a pc or udm its dusty as hell...a good winning combo is diamond cut 1000, 1500, and finish with pro-polish..the 1.5 finishes down real nice and is aggressive enough to fix most paint imperfections...only on dark colored cars are you going to have to follow up with pro-polish....IMO the 1.5 and pro-polish combo finishes just as nice as SIP and 106ff...the trade off is more dusting and takes a little more experience to not end up with holograms...but doing panels with it side by side you will see no difference...just a little higher of a learning curve...

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, I`m always curious about all of CGs products since they are so close to me. Any other positive responses regarding their polishes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks "orngez" I have a debate going on with my split personality about pulling the credit card out and ordering some CG stuff. Nothing personal, but the non-bodyshop stuff sounded a little better for my clients. Also, thinking that M-seal and Butter Wax would be a killer too. I hate doing on-line ordering but I swear, that`s the best deals. Evil twin is nagging about trying Hi-Temp instead, but they have like 6 compounds and damn, that gets a bit confusing-where with CG, I could get by with 3. The floor is open, let the debate begin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Never tried any CG compounds or polishes but Hi-Temp may be a good bet. I say that mainly because you will find much more information on these forums about Hi-Temp products. You could probably get by with HTEC, HTHC and a finishing polish from Hi-Temp. Just a thought.

I am interested in more thoughts on CG compounds, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    Evil twin is nagging about trying Hi-Temp instead, but they have like 6 compounds and damn, that gets a bit confusing-where with CG, I could get by with 3.

I`m not trying to give Evil Twin the upper hand here, but the Hi-Temp stuff is not confusing at all.

Get the Extreme Cut and/or Heavy Cut levelers for correction, and the Light Cut leveler for finishing. It`s that simple and their stuff is pretty user-friendly and econmical, although I haven`t tried the CG compounds or polishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey smprince1, I was looking at getting all the HiTemp compounds, and at 10 bucks a quart, that`s not a bad deal at all. I don`t think anybody mentions the mac-daddy of Hi-temp or the Medium either. It was way easier with Optimum, but I didn`t care for the long work time and the way OP got gummy on the foam pads. The fact that there`s so little info on CG and from what I hear (they make products for other brands) - I just thought someone has tried them. Good to hear from another Carolina detailer, I`m up in Raleigh, but MB is my second home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Junebug,

I have the HTHC, HTMC, and HTLC levelers. The MC and LC work well via PC and foam. A little goes a long way once the pad is primed.

I use the HC on the rotary with wool or foam and it cuts pretty well. I hear the HTEC is pretty good stuff, but the quart of HC has lasted me quite some time and with a wool cutting pad it`s had enough bite for what I need.

The line seems pretty economical, user friendly, and effective. Maybe not WOW, but a good product at a good price.

Going to MB to play some golf in a few weeks, and of course, tip back a few with some buddies. Hope the weather is great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Smprince1,

I`ll be at MB sometime in Oct, wife told me what day, but I wasn`t paying attention at the time.

One thing about HiTemp, getting them or anything at TOL is always a pleasant experience, folks are so nice, I feel like I ought to buy more.

If we`re at MB at the same time, I`ll buy you a beer at Logan`s.

Thread Information