Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody else surprised to see the old standby, Meguiars, being discontinued at the Autopia store?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am suprised too. Maybe discount them and get rid of some of the overstock but to discontinue the whole line seems a little over the edge. But Dave runs a great business and I have to respect his decision at the same time.
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qballjr13
    I am suprised too. Maybe discount them and get rid of some of the overstock but to discontinue the whole line seems a little over the edge. But Dave runs a great business and I have to respect his decision at the same time.

Yea, I agree. Im sure its a business decision, not a product effectiveness decision! Perhaps hes had great success with one of the more limited distribution products which allow much higher markup. Something like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    there could be a few reasons why he may not be carrying megs anymore... a.) not selling fast enough for him to keep it in-stock b.) has no room for it and needs to make more space for new items, etc... you know the saying, "out with the old, in with the new"...

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m more surprised that 4 Star is out the door. I thought Autopia bought the rights to 4 Star and now they`re gone? I guess they are just making Autopia a store for Ultima and like products?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Megs was discontinued because most can get it locally, and shipping kills the deal.

the drop of 4* might be because they are going exculsive with Ultima............if they bought the right for 4* and then drop it, that might be because of competition???

Cheers,
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
    I think the Megs was discontinued because most can get it locally, and shipping kills the deal.

the drop of 4* might be because they are going exculsive with Ultima............if they bought the right for 4* and then drop it, that might be because of competition???

Cheers,

It`s ok 4* is still making money off Ultima
    Owner

Proficient Auto Detailing LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the products Hes helped develop.. Products like Sonus, for instance... Name anotehr site that promotes it as heavily as Autopia. Now, this Ultima product.. Gets its own heading! As I said, small distribution products; which means products not available in every competitive outlet... Those are NIche products; products where some exclusivity is built into the distro. And usually, in most markets, the potential for greater markup is the reason retailers like to support them. IF it means tossing out the wider distro products, well, why not.. AFter all, the world hardly needs Autopia in order to buy a Meguiars product. But Sonus, Ultima, etc.. Just look at the store`s Polishers and Pads heading.. Of the 6 sections, fully 4 of them are Sonus!!! Again, under Polish and Swirl remover heading, looks like something like half the items are Sonus! Then, try finding Sonus at some of the other popular online locations. Nope, not there... This is a smart retailer... Let the others knock their heads out selling the same products as each other.. Autopia apparently subscribes to a different retail theory, and its one that has worked out well in many markets.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think it`s too much of a surprise, they probably decided that selling Meguiars wasn`t giving them a high-enough profit margin.

I think that they (David+autopia) have developed and pushed the Ultima line out. Since it`s such a big thing, it`s rational for them to close out the other products if they find that selling (almost) exclusively Ultima products is more profitable+efficient.

As for why you don`t see Sonus+Ultima products elsewhere, it`s just like no one else sells Danase WW`s or Danase Glaze anywhere else except for Danase.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990
    I don`t think it`s too much of a surprise, they probably decided that selling Meguiars wasn`t giving them a high-enough profit margin.

I think that they (David+autopia) have developed and pushed the Ultima line out. Since it`s such a big thing, it`s rational for them to close out the other products if they find that selling (almost) exclusively Ultima products is more profitable+efficient.

As for why you don`t see Sonus+Ultima products elsewhere, it`s just like no one else sells Danase WW`s or Danase Glaze anywhere else except for Danase.com

Yea except you Can by Sonus elsewhere besides sonus.com.. at Autopia! As for the rest of the rationale, its exactly what I said above. Exlusivity lends itself to greater margins.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what,it is no big deal. Meguiars is sold everywhere, And for his reason for dropping the line you can only guess.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s what I was thinking too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smprince1
    That`s what I was thinking too.

sure, but youve got to admit, it goes against the grain of what most retailers in this market are doing.. The retailer I suspect most of us use for general full run inventories is Autogeek, and you dont see shipping costs limiting Their selection of products.. No, Id say its just a very different and somewhat unique retailing philosophy we see here at Autopia. I always enjoy watching one go against the grain. makes things interesting .

Post Thanks / Like
    Why don`t you ask him why he is dropping the line...:nixweiss

chris
    `00 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS (BRP)

`02 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon (SSM)

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely the case for me. Plus, my Meguiars rep, Barry, has become a good friend over the years so not only can I get the Meguiars products I use but I can shoot the breeze with Barry.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information